User Tag List

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree645Likes

Thread: What's in your Herb / Vegetable garden?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, that's too bad, TNT!
    What a beautiful tomato!
    Ciel and TrueNorthTreasures like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Ohh!! Jack Frost already...here in Calgary I can tell we are not that far off. My zucchini and beans are looking a little beat-up as it has been single digits at night. This weekend it'll be time to clean up the harvest and dream of next spring...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It was a good growing season but, boy, is it ever coming to an early end. There are 4 days of rain in the forecast followed by 2 days with flurries and freezing rain and overnight temps around -5. The dry beans are being hauled into the house today and hung to finish drying and the tomatoes will all be brought in on the weekend and put in boxes to ripen. We have a little house. It is going to feel packed for the next several weeks!
    Natalka, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Regular tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. Small green bell peppers and a smaller green variety like Cubanelle. Random rhubarb stalk here and there. Not sure what the same clumps evenly spaced are-herbs or? Noticed something rootlike in the ground as well.
    Where the garlic had been pulled out are lots of tiny bulbs that look like mini garlic cloves on the soil surface. Not sure if I should try planting them into the ground or let Mother Nature decide what will root and what will decompose. I don't recall Dad planting garlic after he harvested this summer's crop at the end of July/early August.
    TrueNorthTreasures likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

@Ciel I think those mini-garlic looking things might be garlic bulbils! I planted some two years ago. Some varieties take 2 years to reach the size of a regular bulb or garlic, and other varieties can take 3 or 4 years. It is interesting to watch their progress.

Here are the instructions I followed when I planted garlic bulbils. (also available in French)
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Sun, Sep 23rd, 2018 at 06:04 PM.
    Ciel likes this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thank you for the planting instructions, @TrueNorthTreasures ! Yes, it makes sense that the bulbils came from the scapes. I just threw out two plastic plant pots during this morning's first mini-barn cleanup but I can easily use any deep plastic container from ice cream or Tenderflake lard to pot bulbils.

I had an intention to pull out the rest of the tomato plants today but will wait for the weekend. I had other outdoor work to finish today and my shoulder was not super-happy about sawing one last tough limb into smaller sections but I wanted it in the green bin.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Yesterday I saw some of the bulbils (not all submerged but on the surface of the soil) have begun to sprout. I also saw a partial garlic bulb that was decomposing. As I was removing some dry old stalks, they had provided some cover for the bulbils. A few old onions have generated green stalks but the roots are in bad shape-some came up when I pulled but others fell apart.
    Will wait until next week to tackle the garden. Squirrels left so many peach pits (from where?) and walnut shells on the soil since the fall.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I have tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, marigolds, leeks, parsley, and basil started indoors. I am trying some new kinds of tomatoes this year - I can't wait to see how they turn out and if they produce well! Outside, the ground is sopping wet from snow melt, and there is still some snow to go. The only thing growing outside right now is the grass, which is starting to turn green in sunny places.
    Ciel, walkonby and Lavender Lady like this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Front yard's tulip leaves are gaining height everyday! Saw a couple of scilla plants poking up leaves and flowers. Think the crocuses were finished last year-no sign of any this year. Will need to get new bulbs to plant for next spring.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Loved your gardening post last season...I look forward to "gardening" along with you!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthTreasures View Post
    I have tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, marigolds, leeks, parsley, and basil started indoors. I am trying some new kinds of tomatoes this year - I can't wait to see how they turn out and if they produce well! Outside, the ground is sopping wet from snow melt, and there is still some snow to go. The only thing growing outside right now is the grass, which is starting to turn green in sunny places.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I did remove a clump of mature looking garlic cloves with short green stalks yesterday-Mom ended up cooking them last night so I did not seem them when I needed a clove for the roast potatoes (small reds bought for 99 cent last night). The cloves' outer skins were in a state of decomposition but the cloves were stellar and large!

Also chipped out a couple of yellow/orange horseradish roots (for the yard bag). One had been about 10-11" long but I had lopped off the top 3.5 inches and had a fight to twist the remaining section out of the ground.

Strangest site-about 100 super thin carrots-roots with grass-like roots, which were very fine/hairy. The tops were thin yellow orange carrot bodies, not feathery green tops. The bodies were about 3 inches tall. I pulled them all out-guessing they were seeds scattered from a carrot in the garden I may have pulled out in Sept. The carrots more or less were among the bulbils.

Mr. Wind is too gusty for the likes of me today. Will have to wait another day to get a pitchfork or spade into the garden. Might edge the garden-it's not "square" and I'm tempted to expand one side as a result. Need to figure out how to make a fence without actually buying fencing. There's a fishing net of a fine blue colour I can use and a few wooden garden tool handles from former full-size garden tools that suggest posts...plus the bamboo poles that Dad used to use for the large tomatoes (he did not use them last year, instead seeding small cherry type of tomatoes that spread across the garden).

Front flowerbed revealed two pale purple veined crocuses! Loved the surprise. The crocuses in the lawn are history (have not sprouted in two springs-snif, snif). Grape hyacinths have been up for some time. Scilla have even self-propogated into dark shady nooks around the steps and opened!
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Apr 9th, 2019 at 12:39 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I transplanted the tomato plants into the garden yesterday, and the cabbage, kale, chard, cauliflower transplants this past week. Peas, onion sets, carrots, and potatoes are planted too. Now we just have to wait until the weather warms up enough to plant the beans and squash. Looking forward to having everything in it's place and growing nicely. It's a lot of work, but I love this time of year.
    walkonby likes this.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthTreasures View Post
    I transplanted the tomato plants into the garden yesterday, and the cabbage, kale, chard, cauliflower transplants this past week. Peas, onion sets, carrots, and potatoes are planted too. Now we just have to wait until the weather warms up enough to plant the beans and squash. Looking forward to having everything in it's place and growing nicely. It's a lot of work, but I love this time of year.
    How wonderful @TrueNorthTreasures to get an early jump on the fresh produce you will be growing! We'll have to wait some still, our weather is definitely not plant ready yet.
    Ciel likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Basil. That is all I am growing this year lol. Hope it spreads like wild fire and I can freeze for winter use. Can't wait to make pizza on BBQ with fresh basil.
    maple7 and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Most of the dry beans and snap beans have started to come up, as has the kohlrabi. Some of the sunflowers are starting to come up, too. Almost none of the squash has made an appearance yet, which is driving me bonkers! The things I transplanted last month (cabbage, tomatoes, etc) seem to be doing okay, though the pepper plants still seem small.
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Wed, Jun 12th, 2019 at 09:42 AM.
    Lavender Lady and dededi like this.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information