• 4 Post By dyalect
  • 2 Post By toronto166
  • 2 Post By mkos_29
  • 3 Post By dyalect
  • 5 Post By abbasgirl
  • 3 Post By Tweets77
  • 3 Post By HappyCouponSaver78
  • 1 Post By dyalect

Thread: Kiosks....... and no cashiers. - WM, SDM, ETC....

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is a new one here so I guess I will get this rant going. The only way to fix this is by US the consumer complaining.

Since when did billion dollar companies that hide taxes overseas think it is ok to load down there stores with kiosks and sabotage the option of actually speaking to a human being while cashing out? Some stores are just getting insane now. Walmart by far is the worse.

Rows and rows of cashier kiosks and there is a lineup almost out the door of people who want a cashier. You might have a coupon, price matching or just like knowing that someone is being employed to deal with and SPEAK to people.

You think a 70-100 yr old senior is going to use one of these kiosk things? These companies need to stop it NOW. Nothing wrong with having a few but when your store is more than 75% kiosks and like 2 cashiers and it is a busy you have gone too far.

Customer services > More money for an already wealthy corporation.

Hit them hard, phone, email and worse comes to worst taking your business elsewhere.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart
    abbasgirl, Tweets77, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

....and most you can't pay with cash.

I was at SDM yesterday. All regular registers had the closed sign up. The girl in charge walked over to me and said I can take you if you want. And then the next person asked her if she was closed (she still had closed sign up) and she said yes but it depended if she the customer wanted her to ring her through.

The other day they told me that SDM was pushing them to push the customer to use self checkout.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

When SDM was installing these, there was a sign that there were a limit of 6 items. When it finally opened, it still says limit of 6 and there was hardly any room to put your items after scanning. It was a balancing act with bags of chips and eggs.
    Ciel, dyalect, 4sure5 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Food Basics and Longos don't have self checkouts.
    I guess Shoppers HQ is trying to make the extended store hours (many are open 8am to 10pm) less labour intensive in terms of staffing but there may come a time that losses walking out the door could lead back to 9pm store closures.

I rarely see two SDM regular tills open-it's always the one in Cosmetics and one regular till (except between 10am-2pm for Senior's Optimum days).
    dyalect likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Food Basics and Longos don't have self checkouts.
    I guess Shoppers HQ is trying to make the extended store hours (many are open 8am to 10pm) less labour intensive in terms of staffing but there may come a time that losses walking out the door could lead back to 9pm store closures.

I rarely see two SDM regular tills open-it's always the one in Cosmetics and one regular till (except between 10am-2pm for Senior's Optimum days).
    LOL the creepy cosmetics section everyone bolts through to get to the actual store. Priorities!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@dyalect Before the local Shoppers reno, the old layout had the counter in between two aisles, one that lead to cards and giftwrap and past gift sets of scented products and the shampoo/moisturizer aisle. Post office was easier to access down the card aisle. Now, it is a quick right then left down aisle three to get near the relocated post office. I try to avoid Thursday mornings and early afternoons due to the popularity of the store for Optimum shoppers.
    At least there is a clearance area near the wait area for the post office, beside the very reduced stationery product selection on the shelves. So I don't miss too many specials while waiting.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Don't shoot the messenger but I hate to say this....you better get used to this. We may not like it but with the advances in technology....this will eventually be the norm. i.e. My SIL works for a company. They have all been advised that they will all lose their jobs in 2 years because they will have machines doing what they do now. No more overtime pay...benefits....people taking sick days....etc., etc., etc. From the owner's point of view....win/win. He will only have to employ a couple of people to make sure the machines are running properly. Look at when ATM's took over from tellers. I haven't stepped foot into a bank since the '90's. Have you checked in at the airport lately? It's all automated. I'm not saying it's right...it's just something we will have to get used to seeing more and more. It's the younger generation I feel sorry for.
    Ciel and walkonby like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was told to use the kiosk by a SDM employee. Then he asked the woman behind me also. I said no thanks I'd like for you to keep your job. LoL the man in front of me was like "yes you're right." The cashier just laughed nervously.
    Ciel and TrueNorthTreasures like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by toronto166 View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger but I hate to say this....you better get used to this. We may not like it but with the advances in technology....this will eventually be the norm. i.e. My SIL works for a company. They have all been advised that they will all lose their jobs in 2 years because they will have machines doing what they do now. No more overtime pay...benefits....people taking sick days....etc., etc., etc. From the owner's point of view....win/win. He will only have to employ a couple of people to make sure the machines are running properly. Look at when ATM's took over from tellers. I haven't stepped foot into a bank since the '90's. Have you checked in at the airport lately? It's all automated. I'm not saying it's right...it's just something we will have to get used to seeing more and more. It's the younger generation I feel sorry for.
    That big lineup I mentioned in original post says otherwise. People need to revolt and stop using these things. It will only get worse for your kids and kids kids when everything is automated.
    Tweets77, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I used self-check-out at Walmart once. It just kept repeating the same instructions to me and couldn't handle my reusable bag. I was at Walmart this evening. Only the self-checkout and 3 regular lanes were open. I normally go through the express check-outs, but they were all closed. There were huge line-ups. I ended up leaving my cart and walking out. If that's how it's going to be from now on, I won't be shopping there.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

I would never use a self checkout and I always let the store know that...preferably a manager if one is around. I also mention it on surveys if such a question comes up. Just doing my part to help people keep their jobs.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I never use self checkouts, due to 1 keeping it human 2 uses debit or credit cards, 3 stupid automated once you have a coupon or cash back or price match or bring you own bag the machine can't handle it you can't insult a robot!
    Tweets77, dyalect and Linda Evans like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCouponSaver78 View Post
    I never use self checkouts, due to 1 keeping it human 2 uses debit or credit cards, 3 stupid automated once you have a coupon or cash back or price match or bring you own bag the machine can't handle it you can't insult a robot!

And here it is. From the wifey. Walmart is going off the deep end!
    >>
    Me and another lady waited in line for a cashier. Mangr wanted us to move to self serve. Said no thanks. She kept pushing then said “you know they’ll all be self serve soon”. I said well I’m going to fight as long as possible- I don’t work here.
    >>
    Despicable.
    Tweets77 likes this.

Thread Information