User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Begging In Front Of Supermarket Stores

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Does either store provide free wi-fi? That was my first thought.
    No.

How do you go on the internet from a laptop with no wi-fi?

Guy probably got a better phone than my lousy cast off phone from my family.
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post
    No.

Guy probably got a better phone than my lousy cast off phone from my family.
    If anyplace directly around them offers free wifi, any device that also has wifi can access the internet. EG I can take my laptop and my tablet and even my wifes old cell phone that has been disconnected from Rogers all can access the internet using the stores free wifi
    Ciel and HermanH like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thatdone View Post
    If anyplace directly around them offers free wifi, any device that also has wifi can access the internet. EG I can take my laptop and my tablet and even my wifes old cell phone that has been disconnected from Rogers all can access the internet using the stores free wifi
    One of my best friends has a laptop and she doesnt have internet service at home. She uses the laptop for other things OFF-line (creative design work), but DOES go online where there is wifi offered (friends houses, cafes, hotel lobbies, etc). She simply chooses not to have that expense at home. (she doesn't have TV nor residential land-line phone either). Point being, you dont need to have internet to use a laptop.

So are we even certain he was using the internet? You can do lots more on a laptop than just surf the internet. Maybe he was doing some coding... or writing a screenplay... or maybe touching up his resume to look for work. Regardless what he was doing on it, that's not the point...

I get the original point: There's a guy out begging in front of a store and has a laptop (and/or cell phone)... While the initial optics of that image don't naturally "jive" it doesnt mean he's not without means to pay rent, other utilities, or put food on the table. If I lost my job and needed money, one of the last things I'd give up would be my phone and my laptop. I wouldnt be as extravagant with them. I'd cut back my phone plan and I'd probably have to cancel my residential internet. However, any money I could fetch for the devices themselves by selling them would be fleeting and not out-weigh the benefit I gain from their assistance to get me toward new employment. Looking for work online (where you have access) is far easier with a computer and employers can't call you without a phone.

While I did previously admit to being jaded by the guy I met at the pub... I also know that there are people who are doing their best to rise out of poverty, at whatever stage they are in. Becoming "broke" doesnt necessarily happen over night, so I can appreciate the notion of clinging to those tools that are essential (or strongly advantageous) to looking for work.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Apr 16th, 2019 at 06:40 PM.
    abbasgirl, ROMEO, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I hate it when these ppl asking me for change, I say them back change is when you get out of this rut or go to rehab or change of scenery. My friend "R" he was panhandling many times after cheque issue week... He also go to Recovery group he shall learn budgeting too. For many of the beggers, if I gave them food they said thank you. The most annoying panhandler is the one exiting Expo skytrain he held the door and expect change. And aggressive too. But most are nice and need a hand up rather than a hand out
    ROMEO, Ciel, dyalect and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Observed a woman going up to cars exiting Fortinos Ancaster yesterday and actively asking for money for rent and her kids. She had a sign. She came up to me on the sidewalk and I said no, I'm unemployed.

I told a friend today about the encounter and she knows that woman was seen at Walmart with a man in a nearby BMW car texting her on what to say to people near the store doors.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Observed a woman going up to cars exiting Fortinos Ancaster yesterday and actively asking for money for rent and her kids. She had a sign. She came up to me on the sidewalk and I said no, I'm unemployed.

I told a friend today about the encounter and she knows that woman was seen at Walmart with a man in a nearby BMW car texting her on what to say to people near the store doors.
    Barely speak english but the sign is written in English! My favorite.
    ROMEO, Ciel, Linda Evans and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Actually the woman's English was good, but her commonsense was lacking by stepping into moving traffic to solicit money from drivers.
    dyalect and HermanH like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

BMW???!!!
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Someone I know said she saw a BMW driver (male) communicating by text messages with the woman. There wasn't a car nearby that I was aware of when I saw her doing her pleas to drivers at Fortinos.
    ROMEO likes this.

Canuck with all the luck! DevasMicota's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The best thing if you're wanting to help the poor is to keep donating to the foodbank & speak to your representatives about their strategy to help the homeless. At safeway, I always grab those $5-10 care packages at the till. Or buy Pads/tampons on clearnace at Superstore for the foodbank box. This way, the agencies that help the poor can do the vetting. They are trained & paid to do this work. I myself no longer give change cos I've seen too many scams.
    ROMEO, Ciel, Poirot and 3 others like this.
    $5 off $20+ e.l.f. cruelty-free cosmetics+free gifts/redeemable points w/every purchase

Get $15 Credit on Poshmark App - Invite Code: NRRABBIT
    KOHO Reloadable Visa - Get $20 Credit to join - Invite Code: 5VER9FAY

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In my case there is literally a welfare office across the street and job center in the same plaza as begging spot. Some people just want money for nothing. And that is sad. I work hard for my cash. No freebies Willie.
    Ciel and HermanH like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Yesterday, we went shopping at IGA. There were a whole bunch of kids at the entrance in their soccer uniforms. Looks like the whole team was there. They all had signs and a bucket asking for money for hot dogs. We had to practically push our way in because they all crowd you and everyone who went in to shop. They did not have ticket stubs for "hot dogs" and when you went in, there were no set up to redeem your ticket for hot dogs, nor were there any hot dog stands, bbq outside. No adult supervision. What a scam.

If you can't afford to send your kids for sports activity, don't send your kids to beg for money to fund your kids uniforms and cleats.

I see this all the time in the winter during hockey season.

The kids are all at the end of the cash asking to bag your items. If you can't afford new skates, padding, helmets, and hockey time every year, don't ask the public to pay for your privileged expensive extra-curricular which can run in the thousands if you have 2 or more kids.

One year in an affluent part of town, a whole bunch of high school students were at supermarkets and SDMs in that area. They were all asking for donations to fund their high school graduation trip overseas. Like really, not to improve your school but for yourselves? Your parents can't afford your trip? The TV and radio stations got wind of it and the school got really bad press for this selfish stunt. I think at the end, the school donated all profits to a worthy organization.
    Last edited by couponmummy; Mon, Aug 26th, 2019 at 08:48 AM.
    ROMEO, Purdee, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Yesterday, we went shopping at IGA. There were a whole bunch of kids at the entrance in their soccer uniforms. Looks like the whole team was there. They all had signs and a bucket asking for money for hot dogs. We had to practically push our way in because they all crowd you and everyone who went in to shop. They did not have ticket stubs for "hot dogs" and when you went in, there were no set up to redeem your ticket for hot dogs, nor were there any hot dog stands, bbq outside. No adult supervision. What a scam.

If you can't afford to send your kids for sports activity, don't send your kids to beg for money to fund your kids uniforms and cleats.

The kids are all at the end of the cash asking to bag your items. If you can't afford new skates, padding, helmets, and hockey time every year, don't ask the public to pay for your privileged expensive extra-curricular which can run in the thousands if you have 2 or more kids.

One year in an affluent part of town, a whole bunch of high school students were at supermarkets and SDMs in that area. They were all asking for donations to fund their high school graduation trip overseas. Like really, not to improve your school but for yourselves? Your parents can't afford your trip? The TV and radio stations got wind of it and the school got really bad press for this selfish stunt. I think at the end, the school donated all profits to a worthy organization.
    The local Fortinos has the girls hockey team in usually once or twice over the fall but I understood any donations were to support their hockey play in the area. I can understand the backlash that the high schoolers in that town got for trip fundraising. Guess selling oranges or chocolate bars for trips is not the same thing anymore.
    couponmummy and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

We were in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago, there were two, rather large... ok - obese, women sitting on the sidewalk with a sign asking for money because they needed food. One of them had the balls to be talking on her brand new iphone at the time. Yeah, you look really hard-up

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I stopped "funding" all other children's activities when they brought in the Children's Fitness Tax credit, something we never received for our kids. I'm totally in favour of kids being involved in activities but I feel I'm already "donating" to them when I pay my compulsory taxes.

I now donate more towards seniors and health related issues, however I will still donate to military, air cadets etc.

Edit: maybe the hot dogs were for them??? ie. soccer championship day.
    Last edited by maple7; Mon, Aug 26th, 2019 at 09:52 PM.
    ROMEO, Linda Evans, dededi and 2 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information