User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Life as couponer. The dark side of savings!

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I wanted to started a conversation about being a couponer.

I've been a couponer for over 10years.

I wanted to start the discussion on what do you do in a particular situation when a store is refusing your coupons and you're arguing with the manager. My intention is not to argue but sometimes its neccessary because sometimes they dont know the rules or understand coupons.

Just curious if others have the same issues as me?

For example I've experienced bullying when I use coupons and I am treated like crap. The managers and staff sometimes always have some type of snarky comment. Not going to lie it's hurtful and frustrating when a store has a policy in place but yet you have to be very firm to who ever is refusing your coupons. This is embarrassing to me and annoying I'm put in this position.

I am a polite person and will try to a solve a problem or help someone understand but when I had to recently argue coupon acceptance at shoppers with a manager it was an aweful experience. They were saying my printed $3 Always coupon wasn't the original?

Basically saying it was a photo copy and that they don't accept internet coupons. Each coupon has its own pin code and they still insisted it wasn't the original.

The manager said no to the cashier on the phone and didn't even know what the coupons were. He still said no when he arrived at the counter. He still said no without looking at them.

The coupon policy states that they do accept internet coupons and head office told me they do as well. I was there two weeks ago and used coupons that we're printed without any issue.

However I explained to him in a very firm voice that printed coupons are accepted and he said they are not suppose to accept them...

Eventually the manager printed the coupon policy because I literally told him he needed to print it and show me that they dont accept printed coupons. He did and he also viewed my coupons in the back and came back with snarky comments like I could be a jerk and limit you but I won't and comment you probably cleared my shelf. Lol I bought 14boxes. There was still lots left.

By the way this was all recorded too

I emailed the store owner and he has yet to reply..
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart
    wendymac, Ciel, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

mandy403-sometimes it is hard but I still love it and i have been couponing for 35 years

Like today I went to sobeys and after the order I said to cashier "here is my coupons" ohhh I have to have them right away so I can put them in right after the item .I then told her I come her and I always give the coupons at the end no problem ,would you like to see the items I bought as I went to take them out of the bag ,Only she called the supervisor over who then added them in her head and punched in 9.00 then 2.99 total 11.99 and she didn't even comment -no worries for me

Mind you the cashier as she was bagging my items said "a am a very organized person ,look how I fit everything in the bag "I don't let it bother me at all,it is just the life of couponing and its getting harder to coupon than years ago ,plus finding the coupons as many people have jumped on the band wagon as our cost of groceries is rising and some are taking the whole pads or half of the pads .Keep living the couponing life and try not to let it get you down .

Oh and I love the comment "I will do it this time "I have heard that a bit over the years .
    wendymac, Ciel, walkonby and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

I find WM is the worst with coupons lately even though I am within their PM limit and such. I typically shop at stores that are friendly and have rewarding customer service. It can prove to be difficult especially when you're in a hurry or fustrating on so many levels.

At the end of the day I try to stay calm and if I don't/can't use my coupon at a particular store somewhere else will take my business.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In situations where I (seemingly) know the policy better than the store staff does (be it coupons, limitations, SCOP, etc) -- if it gets into an aggressive argument, I just then leave the entire order there. Large or small. They often think I just mean those items... but I say no "the whole order" as I start to leave. If questioned I say something to the effect of: "if I have to go elsewhere to use these (coupons -sic), then I might as well fill my whole order there." They can re-shelve the items as far as I'm concerned. I know not everyone has that luxury, but in my area, I have access to 3 Superstores, 4 Sobey's and a Walmart one of which are eager to take my business and my coupons.

I've actually written head offices after an encounter like that (which really isnt often). I'm really asking about their policies on the matter, while explaining my experience at the same time. It's not REALLY a complaint, just a request for "clarificiation". -- If I get a written response about the corporate wide policy, I print it off and keep it next to my coupons.

I had to do this with FutureShop a LOOONG time ago, when the store (well one guy there) wouldnt price-match their OWN website. Yet, I had been doing it routinely whenever I bought movies there, but all of a sudden I was being told "No. We would NEVER do that." (They've been doing it for months???) -- the punchline is, when I had the email exchange with FutureShop's head office, it came to be that I never had a problem again (never needed the letter) and seemingly the in-store prices ALWAYS matched the online price going forward.

My point is, when corporate has a company wide policy (that's not left up to individual stores) then they tend to re-comminicate it back to the stores when they hear there's been a problem. But it is always best to know the corporate stance on things first.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Jan 16th, 2020 at 06:50 AM.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love being a couponer! It is a challenge I take on to see how much I can save. I find that I have little issue using coupons anywhere but if someone pushes back I simply do not take the product and return a different time for a different cashier. I have come to learn which cashiers are painfully sticklers and which are more forgiving. While I love that NF does PM I find that with some of the deals (like the recent $1.00 off Dare Bear Paw Crackers and PM of $0.99 from Sobeys) because the savings are soooo large they always have to get a supervisor to come over to override. FreshCo on the other hand just makes sure all is in order and processes the savings. So in the end it depends on how much effort I want to put in as to where I will go. But Coupons and PM are a new hobby for me in retirement! So much fun! 😃

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I am addicted to couponing . Love to save and I find that if I can buy stuff with coupons I am able to donate more. I don’t let any cashiers remarks bother me. . My favourite place to Shop with coupons is RCSS and Freshco and as long as it’s not one per person or customer I never have to do more than one receipt. I just have to be patient and if I am using lots of coupons in a shop I would let the cashiers know and the persons that are inline at the back of me so the can choose to stay or leave .The stores that I shop at almost every Cashier knows me . Now SDM on the other hand I find some cashiers does refuse the printable coupons since the can’t tell the difference if it’s photocopy or not. I usually point out the difference and simply ask them to call someone who knows.If it’s one of the regular cashier that knows me the would take my word for it. I find using large amounts of coupons at Walmart is a Hassle I would only shop there if it’s a very good PM that no other store PM. As for NO Frills the one closest to me I hate couponing there so I don’t shop there at all .if I have a great PCO Offer and it’s worth driving for I found One No Frills that is great to coupon at but there PM policy is very limited to stores so it has to be a sales that the have.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I've been couponing for about 8 or so years now. Since the 10th Grade! (I was a strange kid), but I am more than happy that I started couponing, more than anything else in my life.

I've had my share of times where cashiers are very difficult to deal with (some at my own store!), but I push back when they try to tell me that I can't do what I am doing for any number of made up reasons (The strangest one was one time I was told, AFTER completing the transaction, that the coupon was for the USA only and couldn't be used, when it was from OUR STORES COUPON BOARD AND STILL ON THE BOARD AT THE TIME!!!)

Now it is a bit easier when I can do my own transactions at night cashing myself out (with someone watching me to make sure everything is okay), and soon a supervisor override to go along with it! It will make EVERYTHING so much easier at my store to coupon!

I would have to say over all my years of couponing, I have easily saved into the TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars through all my different efforts. This year alone, I'm already close to $1,000 or so saved!

And without my frugalness (or as most would call, my cheapness), I would be indebted with OSAP/LOC debt for the next ten years, instead, I am currently on track to wipe out a grand total (original total) debt of $35,000 by THIS OCTOBER!! Now THAT'S WORTH IT!!!

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb56789 View Post
    I've been couponing for about 8 or so years now. Since the 10th Grade! (I was a strange kid), but I am more than happy that I started couponing, more than anything else in my life.
    I've had my share of times where cashiers are very difficult to deal with (some at my own store!), but I push back when they try to tell me that I can't do what I am doing for any number of made up reasons (The strangest one was one time I was told, AFTER completing the transaction, that the coupon was for the USA only and couldn't be used, when it was from OUR STORES COUPON BOARD AND STILL ON THE BOARD AT THE TIME!!!)
    Now it is a bit easier when I can do my own transactions at night cashing myself out (with someone watching me to make sure everything is okay), and soon a supervisor override to go along with it! It will make EVERYTHING so much easier at my store to coupon!
    I would have to say over all my years of couponing, I have easily saved into the TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars through all my different efforts. This year alone, I'm already close to $1,000 or so saved!

And without my frugalness (or as most would call, my cheapness), I would be indebted with OSAP/LOC debt for the next ten years, instead, I am currently on track to wipe out a grand total (original total) debt of $35,000 by THIS OCTOBER!! Now THAT'S WORTH IT!!!
    That's great John! I alwyas say I wish I knew about couponing years ago, like in College (single with a 3 year old on top of that!) I would have had a much easier time of things. Not that I still wouldn't have worked my ass off, but OSAP could have been taken care of earlier than 35 haha!

You just reminded me that I was going to start tracking my savings in 2020, and forgot to!! :/
    Ciel and mandy403 like this.

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

I always find it funny when someone looks down on me for couponing. Like I'm "poor" or "needy". Even if I was, that's no reason to look down on me.

I look back at them thinking... "You're the bozo paying full price when there's a coupon LITERALLY beside the item you're buying". For most of "those" people, their ego and pride keeps them from saving money.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I get a laugh when I am price matching or doing coupons and the person behind me has their jaw drop when my total drops by 90% as a result. I look at them and wish them a good day!!

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valerey View Post
    I always find it funny when someone looks down on me for couponing. Like I'm "poor" or "needy". Even if I was, that's no reason to look down on me.

I look back at them thinking... "You're the bozo paying full price when there's a coupon LITERALLY beside the item you're buying". For most of "those" people, their ego and pride keeps them from saving money.
    That's one thing that ALWAYS bothers me when I go shopping, you're getting the product that has a coupon RIGHT NEXT TO IT! USE IT!!!! My Father use to be like that a bit, I mean we use to only buy generic as our way of "saving", but just today, he managed to coupon successfully at Shoppers (with a quick phone call to me first) to get the Kashi Bars on sale for $1.99 with $2.00 coupon. The cashier/manager was apparently telling him he couldn't use the coupon because it was worth more than the item, so I told him to tell them to reduce the value of the coupon to the price of the item and he did! 4 boxes for about a buck!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
    I get a laugh when I am price matching or doing coupons and the person behind me has their jaw drop when my total drops by 90% as a result. I look at them and wish them a good day!!
    That's always a good one to see.. Or I get petrified when it's the reverse, when I see the person infront of me with barely a small shopping cart full of groceries and the total is $255 or something crazy??!?!?!? I just think, Okay, we FILL two big buggies for less than that normally!!
    Ciel, sweetmomma, mandy403 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Another misconception is that it takes too much time. Yes in the beginning it is a bit of work to coupon. I am making a grocery list anyways so not much difference. Think it requires more patience to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just please do it when it is quiet. During day or late at night. Not during a rush. Nothing worse than a huge lineup and someone is at till price match, couponing and wasting everyone elses TIME. Time has value.
    Ciel, mandy403 and CheriLyn like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes time has value - indeed @dyalect ! My time is as valuable as anyone's I think; no more or no less. If it is that important to you then maybe try to shift your shopping to during the day or late at night when the lines may be more to your liking I guess 😎I find that the people in line are often very interested in what I am doing so I can take some time to educate them re: the couponing or the apps I use and I have never had a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by dyalect View Post
    Just please do it when it is quiet. During day or late at night. Not during a rush. Nothing worse than a huge lineup and someone is at till price match, couponing and wasting everyone elses TIME. Time has value.
    Last edited by GoodBoy; Wed, Jan 22nd, 2020 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
    coupon girl and mandy403 like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dyalect View Post
    While I do a vast majority of my shopping during the day, I fail to see why you apparently feel it's incumbent on those who PM and/or coupon to change when we shop.
    mandy403 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information