• 2 Post By Arjon
  • 2 Post By Purdee
  • 1 Post By padyofurniture
  • 1 Post By Ciel21

Thread: Looking for a Chinese Cabbage recipe

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Im looking for a good Chinese cabbage recipe. It could be a stir fry or in a soup or im actually open to anything. Ive checked with google for recipes but i would prefer a tried and true one from one of our members here. So if anyone has a good one that they use all the time, please please pass it on to me. I would really appreciate it.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

What kind? There are two types, each with various sub-types. In one type, the leaves form tight heads; e.g. napa. In the other, the leaf blades are clustered but easy to separate; e.g. bok choy. The two categories are pretty interchangeable when used in soups, stir fries, etc. Although both types can be eaten uncooked, the napa type is leafier, so generally better suited to use e.g. shredded as a salad green, in Asian slaws, etc.
    Ciel and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We make these a few times a year. http://withinthekitchen.blogspot.com...egg-rolls.html
    We usually deep fry them though. Only calls for 1 cup of shredded cabbage per 10 egg rolls, but we double the recipe and eat them for a few meals.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    What kind? There are two types, each with various sub-types. In one type, the leaves form tight heads; e.g. napa. In the other, the leaf blades are clustered but easy to separate; e.g. bok choy. The two categories are pretty interchangeable when used in soups, stir fries, etc. Although both types can be eaten uncooked, the napa type is leafier, so generally better suited to use e.g. shredded as a salad green, in Asian slaws, etc.
    Its the long one that the leaves separate easily. The recipe that i really liked on google was like a stir fry with bell peppers and shredded carrots. Looks really good.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by padyofurniture View Post
    We make these a few times a year. http://withinthekitchen.blogspot.com...egg-rolls.html
    We usually deep fry them though. Only calls for 1 cup of shredded cabbage per 10 egg rolls, but we double the recipe and eat them for a few meals.
    Thank you! I checked it out and looks great!
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlakey View Post
    Its the long one that the leaves separate easily. The recipe that i really liked on google was like a stir fry with bell peppers and shredded carrots. Looks really good.
    The bok choy type is pretty flexible, just a bit less so than the napa type. For instance, it can be added to or substituted into pretty much any stir fry or soup. Just cut it into bite-sized pieces, and put the stem parts in before the leaves.

To eat it as a separate vegetable, cut it up, fry with or without some garlic to the texture you prefer, and serve soy sauce to taste, or spoon over a sauce made with, for example, a bit of oyster sauce and water thickened with corn starch. Simply flavor to fit your palate. Other flavors work fine too, like garlic black bean sauce instead of the oyster sauce. Or mix up something using your favorite savory oriental base flavorings.

You can also steam or microwave instead of frying, and if you use baby bok choy, you can omit cutting it up.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

how about vietnamese cabbage recipes? i like to use taiwanese cabbage, there's chicken or duck salad that could be a side dish or main course (google "goi ga" for chicken or "goi vit" for duck). I personally love duck.

Another very simple cabbage dish that my mom likes to do:
    - 1 or 2 stalks of green onion (depending on how much you like it): washed then cut into 2-3 inches long, separate the white from the green, split the white parts in halves lengthwise
    - wash then julienne cabbage
    - heat a pan on the stove medium high
    - add about 1 tbsp of oil and drop the white parts of the green onion, stir fry until light golden
    - add the cabbage and a sprinkle of salt to taste
    - add a bit of water if the pan gets too hot and dry, you want to almost braise the cabbage
    - cook the cabbage until they have wilted or translucent
    taiwanese cabbage is the best for this because of its natural sweetness
    serve as a side dish
    you can also add fried eggs

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

thanks for all these ideas. So tomorrow im going to make a put together recipe using Chinese cabbage. Im going to shred the cabbage, and some carrots and peppers, add some garlic and salt to taste and stir fry in some olive oil. Will use this as a side dish. This is the first time im using this vegetable so i hope it turns out ok.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The hoisin beef noodle dish has Chinese cabbage. I made this a few weeks ago and liked it.

Last edited by padyofurniture; Sun, Nov 29th, 2020 at 08:50 PM.
    Thatdone likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This was another video I watched with cabbage but don't think I'll be making lol

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quite literally, I came across a Napa Cabbage salad that uses instant ramen packets and noodles as part of the dressing and salad.

Source: 35th anniversary issue of Cottage Life, June/July 2022

Napa Cabbage Salad-makes about 15 servings

2 pkgs instant ramen noodles with chicken, beef, or mushroom flavoured soup base (85-100g)
    1 cup vegetable oil
    6 tbsp rice vinegar or balsamic or white wine vinegar
    4 tsp sugar
    2 tsp salt
    1 Napa cabbage (10" long)
    8 green onions, chopped
    1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
    1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted

1. Several hours BEFORE using, mix together the soup flavour packets from the noodles, oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
    Stir occasionally.
    2. Chop the cabbage (you should have about 15 cups). Add onions and parsley.
    3. Mix dressing thoroughly with salad greens. JUST BEFORE SERVING, add almonds, sesame seeds and dry soup noodles, slightly crushed.
    Toss to mix.
    cath007 likes this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Thread Information