User Tag List

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

SunGold SUNBUTTER® Sunflower Seed Spread

http://sunbutter.com

Peanut butter substitute or just a yummy nutless spread that just happens to be heaven sent for those with peanut and tree nut allergies? Haven't any peanut or other similar allergies myself, so I don't need a peanut butter substitute like some would, but I'd gladly eat Sunbutter anyway - it's totally delicious!!!

Have you heard about this stuff? Well I did, thanks to Smart Canucks and a thread started by Freebie Expert and I am grateful to both for giving me a heads up on this new product and most yummy opportunity to try a free sample. If you have not seen the thread and have not requested a free sample yet, you should?! Borrowed the link and phone number from Freebie Expert's thread for your convenience in this product review, but if you do decide to check this SunButter® stuff out and like it, maybe you could stop by Freebie Expert's thread and say hi and/or thanks?! I am going to pop in and say thanks after I finish writing this review.

Like I said, peanuts and other nuts are not an allergy concern for me, but it seems like more and more these days many of us know or love somebody that is allergic to nuts?! Nut allergies have become quite a common and serious concern. In fact, some schools won't even allow peanut butter or other nut products in their student's lunch boxes any more as the risks are too great for some. Quite often there are those with nut allergies that are in the group much more highly allergic, and a portion of those sufferers to a degree being life threatening even for just coming into contact with trace elements of nuts. Luckily now even for them SunButter® is not made from nuts. Can't imagine never eating nuts or peanut butter? My heart goes out to folks who can't chow down on melt-in-your-mouth peanut butter cookies or even simple PB&J sandwiches. Well, be deprived no longer you peanut allergy stricken folks, SunButter® is made with sunflower seeds, and so, is completely nut free and totally safe for those with peanut and other tree nut allergies to eat!

I'm no expert mind you. Suppose there could be folks allergic to seeds as well as tree nuts but SunGold's site seems very positive such persons are fw and far between. If you are a very allergic sort, of course it may be best to discuss this product and possibly trying it with your physician? There are testimonials on SunGold's site that swear by the safety of SunButter® for them even though they too were afraid to try it initially since so very direly allergic to peanuts. You can read their raves at SunGold's site.

Like coming up with a safe alternative for peanut butter isn't enough, SunButter® is no pale substitute. It is every bit as good as peanut butter. In fact, SunButter® is better than peanut butter, especially when comparing it nutritionally to the nuttier brands. Don't get put off that SunButter® lists other fats that peanut butter does not. Check out what the American Heart Association has to say regarding knowing your fats. They're not all bad for you. In fact, they say:

"...Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats appear to not raise LDL cholesterol; some studies suggest they might even help lower LDL cholesterol slightly when eaten as part of a low-saturated and trans-fat diet..."

(borrowed from http://www.americanheart.org/present...identifier=532)

Peanut butter hasn't any of this beneficial fat content listed at all and that's not the only difference nutritionally between SunButter® and peanut butter - read on and see for yourself!

Also good to know is that SunButter® is manufactured in a totally peanut (and other tree nut) free environment. The manufacturers conduct tests of their product for assorted things, including traces of nuts and also for salmonella, which has been a concern with peanut products of late, some even involved in recalls, but is not a worry whatsoever for those consuming SunButter® the company assures us, as does testimonials of nut allergy sufferers that bravely tried SunButter® with no ill effects. The SunButter® facility never produces anything made from tree nuts nor has their equipment ever been used for such purposes. This Creamy SunButter® and other sunflower seed products they produce, like their peanut-free trail mix etc., is exactly what doctors should order for their nut allergy plagued patients! Your nutritionist might have a recommendation to make for all of us as well since SunButter® is more nutritional than peanut peanut butter is?!

I could gush on and on about this new SunButter® stuff. How scrumptious it is, how it comes in different varieties and how much more nutritional the whole SunButter® line is than plain old fashioned peanut butter, and especially about how it is a safe substitute for peanut butter for almost anybody with peanut or other tree nut allergies. I could go on and on, and if you've read my other reviews you know that's true? This time though, think I'll show you through a side-by-side sample comparison. Easiest way to see just how similar and how very different the two products are.

SunButter® Creamy
    Serving Size 2 Tbsp. (32g)

__________________________% Daily Value

Total Fat .................... 16g ..............25%

Saturated .................... 2g ...............8%

Polyunsaturated Fat .......6g

Monounsaturated Fat .....8g

Trans Fat .....................0mg .............0%

Cholesterol ...................0mg .............0%

Sodium .....................120mg .............6%

Total Carbohydrates ........7g ..............2%

Dietary Fiber ...................4g ............17%

Sugars ...........................3g

Protien ...........................7g

Vitamin A ........................0%
    Vitamin C ........................0%
    Vitamin E .......................27%
    Zinc ..............................10%
    Calcium ...........................2%
    Iron ................................8%
    Copper ...........................70%
    Niacin ............................12%
    Magnesium .....................25%

Ingredients: Sunflower Seed, Sugar,
    Mono-Diglycerides to prevent separation,
    Salt, and Natural Mixed Tocopherals to
    preserve freshness.

Now, compare that info above about SunButter® to the info below from a well-known brand of Creamy Peanut Butter. Peanut butter does not even list niacin and other goodness that you will find in SunButter®! Various peanut butters will vary somewhat ingredient-wise but of the brands on hand at home when I wrote this, are generally pretty closely matched to one another in general nutritionally. You can compare your brand(s) of peanut butter to SunButter® for yourself, but for this sample comparison, I chose to use Jif® since the better known of that in my cupboard at present. Usually I am a Kraft or Skippy peanut butter fan but being a bargain shopper and coupon hound I've got sorts on hand not my norm. Since the jars of peanut butter show nutritional info. example according to an only 1 tablespoon sized serving, I just doubled the figures on the jar to match the 2 tablespoon serving size that SunButter® gives their data on for your comparing convenience.

Creamy Peanut Butter (Jif®)
    Serving Size 2 Tbsp. (32g)

________________________________% Daily Value

Total Fat .................... 16g ..............24%

Saturated .................... 2g ..............10%
    + Trans Fat 0g

Polyunsaturated Fat .......

Monounsaturated Fat .....

Cholesterol .................0mg ...............0%

Sodium .....................110mg .............4%

Total Carbohydrates ........8g ..............2%

Fiber ..............................2g ..............8%

Sugars ...........................4g

Protien ..........................6g

Vitamin A ....................... 0%
    Vitamin C ....................... 0%
    Vitamin E .......................
    Zinc ...............................
    Calcium .......................... 0%
    Iron ................................4%
    Copper ...........................
    Niacin .............................
    Magnesium .....................

Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts, Sugar,
    Peanut Oil, Hydrongenated Vegetable Oil,
    Salt, Cooking Molasses, Mono- and Diglycerides.

Note: Jif has less sugar than the other peanut butter
    brands in my cupboard right now. Borrowed Sunbutter
    chart above and made changes to fill in peanut butter
    info.

Not sure if Jif's nutritional info is based on 2000 calorie diet like SunButter is?

If you'd like to see what assortment is available from SunGold SunButter® click here:

http://www.buysunbutter.com/products.asp

Didn't see Freebie Expert's thread? Haven't sent for your free 1.5 oz. Snack Pack sample yet? Well what are you waiting for? Be sure to tell all your peanut allergy stricken friends to check out this product too?! If you have any questions or concerns I'm pretty positive the folks at SunButter® will be happy to speak to you?

Call 1-800-437-5539 or email [email protected] and get your 1.5 oz. free sample of nut-free SunButter® today!!!

Search & Win with me, it's FREE! http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=336533
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Mbgurl; Tue, Mar 17th, 2009 at 06:57 AM. Reason: add on & repair charts

Thread Information