User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Any thoughts on air fryers and how to pick one?

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I've recently started thinking about getting ones, so am wondering about which models people are using, their respective pros and cons, etc. Also how often do people use them, what do they cook well and not so well, what size is suitable for a two-person family, and is there any other info and/or opinions you'd care to share.

TIA
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    walkonby, KelJo and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I have a basic T-fal https://www.amazon.ca/EY201850-Dishw...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Works great. It says it will feed up to 6 people but i could never see that happening. Lucky if it could feed 4. I got it from Walmart on a black friday or something deal for 50 dollars so i am pretty happy with the price

If it stopped working i would probably go with something like https://www.amazon.ca/Chefman-Fryer-...kitchen&sr=1-1
    It is on sale this week on amazon. This one does alot more than the one i have and got great reviews. I have seen it on marketplace for as little as 100 new and i just looked and see it for 120

We make everything except soup in ours. Cooking sites are offering alot of recipes now tailored for air fryers. Heat up time is fast and cleanup is really quick.

I would recommend to anyone to buy jone.
    walkonby, crafter, KelJo and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    314 (100%)

I have the same one as thatdone has listed above (T-FAL) I love it!! had it over a year now (since last Christmas) and use it several times a week to cook a variety of different foods. I like it so much, thinking about getting a second so that I can cook fries in one (for example) and meat/chicken in the second. It does say will feed 6 but not likely, its perfect for 2-3 people
    crafter and SassyAshley like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thatdone View Post
    Works great. It says it will feed up to 6 people but i could never see that happening. Lucky if it could feed 4. I got it from Walmart on a black friday or something deal for 50 dollars so i am pretty happy with the price

If it stopped working i would probably go with something like https://www.amazon.ca/Chefman-Fryer-...kitchen&sr=1-1
    It is on sale this week on amazon. This one does alot more than the one i have and got great reviews. I have seen it on marketplace for as little as 100 new and i just looked and see it for 120

We make everything except soup in ours. Cooking sites are offering alot of recipes now tailored for air fryers. Heat up time is fast and cleanup is really quick.

Quote Originally Posted by KelJo View Post
    I have the same one as thatdone has listed above (T-FAL) I love it!! had it over a year now (since last Christmas) and use it several times a week to cook a variety of different foods. I like it so much, thinking about getting a second so that I can cook fries in one (for example) and meat/chicken in the second. It does say will feed 6 but not likely, its perfect for 2-3 people
    This is just too coincidental! I too have that exact same model of Air Fryer as @Thatdone and @KelJo . Mine was also a WM purchase marked down, I think mine was closer to $60.00, but we use it all the time.
    Faster cooking times than using my oven which heats up the place in summer.
    Definitely recommend getting one.
    Also agree with the others....feeds 6? Nuh uh. Not unless 3 of them are on a very strict diet....lol.

If you are not much of a from scratch cook, then this machine can satisfy those cravings for the finger foods that are found in the freezer sections. ( spud in wedges, fries, etc, onion rings, egg rolls, breaded shrimp and on and on! ) .
    This drum holds a whole chicken and the finished product tastes like it came off of a rotisserie spit! SLBL chx breasts cook up brown outside but amazingly moist inside in no time. I'm sure some do, but I prefer not to do steak in this, I like the BBQ method better.
    crafter, KelJo and SassyAshley like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Looks like I am the odd one out here, we have the Ninja Fryer, we got ours at Costco last summer. https://www.costco.ca/ninja-air-frye...100463968.html

Like the others have said the size would be the biggest consideration, there are only 2 of us in our household so this one works for us but if you had a bigger family you would have to cook in batches.

I found like any new kitchen gadget it has taken me a little bit of time to get used to using it. I have not cooked many meats in mine yet but we love using it for side dishes. Some of the things we use our Air Fryer for are:
    "Roasted" Vegetables - Vegetables are amazing in the Air Fryer and I was skeptical about using Frozen vegetables but they come out amazing
    Reheating Leftovers - We do not get a lot of Take-Out but if you have leftovers reheating them in the Air Fryer is quick and Easy
    Frozen Foods - It is so easy to toss a few fries or perogies or any frozen treats in the Air Fryer and have a side dish

For us the Air Fryer has really helped us to cut down out take out as I will say once you get the hang of it cooking in the air fryer is so simple. It is also so easy to clean which I love. I was the one who made the choice to buy one but I was skeptical, people I had spoken to were split on Air Fryers, some loved them could not live without them others had one and got rid of it. We honestly LOVE ours and I am looking forward to cooking in ours more and expanding what we cook in ours.
    walkonby, crafter and KelJo like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I thought about buying an air-fryer and when I asked friends they all told me their intake of chicken nuggets and french fries went up afterwards. Last thing I need is more fried foods
    walkonby, crafter, KelJo and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Thanks again to all of you who shared your thoughts. I decided on a 4.8L Insignia one that was on sale at Best Buy. It came this week, and performed very nicely on chicken drumsticks and frozen fries. I'm looking forward to learning what else it will do well.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@Arjon we have the pampered chef and DH does chicken wings in it so no more boxed wings in our house. My 17 yr old uses it more than the rest of us. I love it for asparagus.
    walkonby and SassyAshley like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Being an air fryer newbie, I welcome any tips and/or favorite recipes that any of you would care to share. TIA
    SassyAshley likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Last edited by Thatdone; Sun, May 30th, 2021 at 03:40 PM.
    walkonby and SassyAshley like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would recommend checking out the fryer in this review. There are some good options here. I even found the model I use myself. I have a Ninja Max XL, my husband gave it a year ago just before the start of the barbecue season.
    SassyAshley likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thatdone View Post

I have a similar chefman. Got it for Christmas. Loved it, but I find the basket difficult to get out and to open when hot and full of food and the basket and racks are difficult to clean. But the food in it was really good. It died at the end of may in the middle of making toast. Just shut off and hasn’t worked since. Hopefully they will replace it as it wasn’t cheap

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i bought the phillips one a few yrs ago...it was over $200- so i was a bit leary..its big enough for 2 people. ive made hamburgers, fries,& it makes really nice fluffy muffins. but i dont use it often..maybe its time to bring it out again.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

As an update, my still-new toy does a pretty good job on medium-thick pork chops. I've done them with a rub and with just some seasonings sprinkled on. They take ~12-15 minutes with flipping after ~half the time. A couple of key benefit IMO is that the kitchen doesn't get heated up nearly as much as it would broiling them in the oven, and the grease doesn't spatter like if I fried them in a pan.

Fwiw, I don't find cleanup noticeably easier or harder than it would be with other cooking methods.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

^^^ yes!! See? @Arjon you are now enjoying a few more of the perks to these easy to use appliances. Especially with a heat wave on I certainly do not want a full size oven on. Have fun!
    SassyAshley likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information