User Tag List

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree1908Likes

Thread: June 2022 Frugal Chat ;Summer is here!!!!

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    QOTD: What do you buy at Costco that it is cheaper in price???...I may want to go with my auntie who is a member this summer when I will be on hollidays.Thanks for amy advices.
    We get veggies like spinach, apples, potatoes (Little Potato Company), Dempsters wraps, Silver Hills or the Canadian Rye bread, tofu, peanut butter, Little Mountain Jam, McDonald’s coffee, frozen fruit for our daily smoothies, hemp hearts, flaxseed, and chia seeds, vitamins and mouthwash and Dove bars of soap.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Heard on the radio this morning that normally Milk/Dairy products only put one increase per year but the Dairy Council has approved a second increase for 2022. A 2.5% increase on Milk will go through September 1st.

Thinking of stopping on the way home and grabbing a couple more bag of Milk from No Frills since it is on sale.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 2 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Costco, I am a bit Costco shopper but I admit you have to know your prices.

Yes, I am that person who breaks the price per kg or lb or g and worked out what is the better deal.

You cannot beat their over the counter medications and Vitamins especially if they offer the Kirkland Brand. If you happen to get them on sale the price cannot be beat and generally their pharmacy items seem to have long expiry dates which allows me to stock up.

Currently we buy our Whole Wheat, White Bread and Naan from Costco, cheaper than the sales I have been seeing lately at regular grocery stores but you do get multiple loaves.

There cheese is slightly more than finding it on sale but I find it tastes better (might be an odd statement but it reminds me of cheese from when I was a kid, it has a stronger more sharp flavour) so I do buy my cheese at Costco, it costs me a $1 for one Costco Brick than buying 3 on sale.

We also buy our Feta, Bocconcini, Ricotta & Provolone from Costco. Yes, we might have a love of cheese in my house.

I use a lot of Heavy Whipping Cream in my Cooking and Baking by far Costco has the best price but I will say their price on eggs is not good at all anymore.

I would suggest when you go to check the sales, most of the time when Costco puts something on sale you cannot beat that price if it is something you will eat all of before it goes bad.

The one thing I will say is inflation has hit Costco but one thing I have noticed is yes, some of Costco prices have gone up but they do not seem to be increasing as much as regular stores. But, again it depends on the product oil prices are insane even at Costco.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I just booked a lunch for 2 at niagara on the lake for hubby and i ,at a beautifull farm house restaurant on thursday ,cant wait .We have a giftcard daughter gave us 2 yrs ago ,so a nice treat as we are always babysitting the girls after school ,son doesnt need us the rest of the week.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Yippee, we have an Air Conditioner.

The guys at work built me a stand out of a display they took apart for my dad and kept the pieces just in case. It is lightweight and made out of aluminum bars, they even put little feet on it. I owe them bake goods now.

It was a bit tricky to install, they based it off my Mom's measure but I think we could have gotten away with a 1 FT stand, the one they made is 2 FT so it was a bit of a struggle to get up there but we did. I told Mom we would try once and if we could not get it on the stand I would see if Bro & his wife could come to help. Funny thing is well we were installing it, my phone rang but I did not answer and it was sister-in-law calling to see if we needed help as they were driving by.

It is installed and working. Although I am now questioning if I got the right model, after installing it, I learned it has a heat pump in it. I remember in my research seeing other 4-in-1 units which include the heat pump but thought, no we do not need to get that fancy plus the heat pump seemed to add $200 to $300 to price. So I decided a 3-in-1 unit would meet our needs but when we turned it on the remote gave us the option for heat.

Yep, just looked it up online on the manufacture's website, it says 3-in-1, cooling, fan, dehumidifier, nothing about a heat pump. I matched the models number.

Need to look at the upcoming flyers, see if there are any good deals. I think we are good on most things, just need some fresh stuff and if there are any good deals to be had.

Happy Wednesday Everyone

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

It sure is hot today! Did a few chores on my list and I am a hot mess!
    Need to have a quick shower before my massage appointment this afternoon. And then will need another shower after to wash off the oil and wash my hair!

Floors are washed! Was putting it off. DS will vacuum the stairs when he gets home. I have items at the entrance to go out to my car. (donation of shampoo/soap etc to homeless shelter) Hoping I can just drop off on their porch. I will wait till its not so hot outside so it doesn't sit in my car.
    I have had the bag sitting there for weeks. I just never seem to go that way but will make a point of doing so tomorrow.

I still need to make the mac and cheese but will have to wait till tomorrow. Not turning on the oven today.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

QOTD: What do you buy at Costco that it is cheaper in price???...I may want to go with my auntie who is a member this summer when I will be on hollidays.Thanks for amy advices.
    @cath007 we buy socks, mens boxers, vitamins, nuts, brown sugar , quinoa , bathroom mats, Linens and any items at the time that are on sale that’s cheaper that the regular stores. It all depends when I go also we have all or prescriptions meds there. I am not a crazy spender at Costco it usually have to be something that we
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 5 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I buy generic Claritin 200 tablets for $9.99, Kirkland coffee pods (Starbucks like), Kirkland dog and cat food, cat litter 50 lbs for $11.49, clothes are cheaper, books, bakery and the chicken. The cheese and fruits and vegetables are good. I get my glasses made there and if you see anything ending in .97 it is usually on clearance. Also I love their return policy.

The allergy medication pays for my membership alone as Claritin is expensive, even Shoppers brand is pricey.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

A big thank you to you all for all yours tips,advices and comments about Costco
    Now I know more on what to look for if I go.I might buy salmon fish too ,cut it and freeze it in portion ,the salmon at Costco dont have the skin and seems cheaper as my auntie said.
    Did a big crisis of panick today,not fun...a lot of anxiety lately..that sucks
    The smooties with life project was very good but thick...they had bluberries,strawberries and raspberries(wild fruits) for a change of my passion fruits,mango smootie
    I watered the 4 plants(arthurium and spider ) they where so dry in life project..nobody care they will die with the hollidays....that is sad...
    Dinner will be garlic and herbs shrimps,chicken strips and maybe a salad..easy again...I am on easy options these time hahah
    Wishing you all a great evening and night!!!
    Last edited by cath007; Wed, Jun 22nd, 2022 at 04:23 PM.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 3 others like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Oh no I think QC will have a milk increase too..and dad goes trough a lot with his coffees and cereals..yike that is bad!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I just placed my first order in amazon(fast delivery) free shipping because it is the first time I order from them(saving of 8$) some 2 x 6 per packs popsicles mold...it should be there by monday...it was cheaper that those I have seen in store..and I did not found it at dollorama so sad... so darn taxes again...
    but I figure it out with the good recepies I found and will find that in the long it will be cheaper and more healthy than buying commercial pops because i will know what i put in there..same for the smooties I want to start making my own soon for that reason too.

so 25$ in total...not bad considering linen chest wanted for 2 time this mold double the price ..yikes..

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I went to dollorama found things I wanted and some I did not found
    Spend 25$(I dont go often per chance)
    that purchase include 5 wine glass in colored plastic so cute for the summer..3,50$ ..but forget I already have some..(they where hidden in the cabinets haha)lol...but it will be good for ice tea,smooties and ect
    ah and I have a terrible sore back..that is not fun...very painfull
    Last edited by cath007; Wed, Jun 22nd, 2022 at 07:05 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@cath007 In Ontario, Costco just sent members a new monthly (I thought it was a holiday weekend sale booklet) brochure of offers that take effect on June 27. You might want to see what's showing online for QC customers but I will tell you that the online grocery offers are quite limited so wait until you go in your store with Aunt to see what's appealing.
    If the location has certain Warehouse sales (limited time brand sales for clothing, cookware, hardware, etc), you might want to note what brands are coming to that location!

The only thing that you might want to get or split cost with Aunt is the Kirkland Signature Bath Room Tissue (2ply rolls, 30 big rolls per package--if your bathroom tissue holder has room for large rolls, this might be a good thing to try). Once, my brother could not get Kirkland bathroom tissue and get a big package of regular size Cottonelle rolls-that was disappointing.
    @coupon girl I'm glad you commented on the lack of sizing finds at Costco for clothing. I've spent a couple of days looking at dresses on various store websites (mostly in Canada) and if the things are on sale, finding large or XL sizes (assuming I can see if a brand's Large or XL size corresponds to my size or Mom's size) is really random or not available. I have not been in Costco with my brother to look at clothing in over two years' time (only have popped in when I found Member cards on my walks in recent years). I'd love to see woolen knit ladies tops if a warehouse sale comes to the Ancaster location but the idea of walking into the busy store with all those moving carts while using a cane makes me shudder.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 4 others like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have posted SCENE+ links and articles relating to the Scene and Scotiabank Rewards programs merger in the Finance>Rewards thread.

That $1.50 fee for online Cineplex movie tickets will hardly touch me. I have walked in for tickets on movie day because the website does not seem to show any pricing without a login (when my friend logs in, we can see some numbers and I have had her buy me tickets online in the past and I pay her in cash on purchase day). For those in Scene + or CineClub memberships, you get some savings on that fee(Scene+ mbrs pay $1 and CineClub $0).
    harbie, barbis9, cath007 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

While on the Simons website, I happen to search kids' clothing, which is only available through the online order platform (chain no longer carries kids' clothing from Benetton). Random discovery-a beautiful Liberty Fabric print top for girls (4-14) marked down from $89.00 to $29.95. If you have a girl you'd like to reward with a lovely cotton summer top, this might be the one you are waiting for:
    https://www.simons.ca/en/kids/clothi...24?colourId=68

I did look at the Liberty of London online fabric webstore and it seem the blue version of this fabric print is out of stock. Cannot locate yardage for the pink version (this brand of fabric is preciously priced-women's shirts seem to be well over $100 if bought readymade).

Have looked at one brand of baby and children's clothing (brand site, The Bay and Nordstrom plus a local store)--told myself no buys for now. So many styles and colours are tempting. Told myself to find me a summer dress or top with floral print instead for now...and I need socks! Simons has $33 Marimekko floral ones in three colourways and I am partial to certain HotSox prints. Have struck out on locating a sure thing dress for Mom (under $200) when special occasions arise in summer but there is a lovely $460 one in a BC store--she won't pay for that.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information