User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Dollar Stores charging for bags May 2018

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Even Home Depot has discontinued bags. Now, how am I going to carry all those nails home?!
    barbis9 and Ciel21 like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    Even Home Depot has discontinued bags. Now, how am I going to carry all those nails home?!
    I am saving the Mandarin Buffet takeout bags for small purchases. I also use the totes for carrying empty bottles/cans from home but use a Compliments tote to carry any containers I find on my walks (sporadic nowadays since there is no Beer Store in my community).

Just looking through the Fortinos digital flyer-plastic bags won't be provided as of March 2, 2023 in their stores.
    HermanH likes this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One news outlet reported a rise in plastic garbage bag sales, once plastic carry-out bags were removed. It was predictable. No one was going to use less plastic. Instead, people pay for something to collect their garbage, instead of re-using used carry-out bags for that purpose. Of course, no one will ever admit their stupidity in creating more plastic waste with these rules.
    Poirot and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Metro stores will be eliminating store bags this year as well.

https://www.thespec.com/local-burlin...-shoppers.html

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Tomorrow, the Fortinos chain will no longer provide bags to customers.

I did notice an opinion piece on reusable grocery bags in the Toronto Star and thought to share it here-do you agree with the writer's thoughts on the different bags' strengths and weaknesses?

https://thekit.ca/shopping/best-tote-bags-groceries/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The fact that anyone would pay for the privilege of buying a bag to provide free advertising for a grocery store is anathema to me. I will not be played for a sucker. The store pays to print their name and logo on a bag and we get to pay them back for that cost. Had they simply sold or distributed plain bags, that might have been palatable. However, they deliberately run up the cost of bags and force consumers to pay for it. If you wonder why grocery chains continue to gouge customers and treat us like fools, it is because we allow them to do it and even encourage it.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Dropped into a local Fruiticana store to buy some lentils and beans. It is a smaller Indian-owned chain, so I thought I would support a smaller operator. I bought 2x bags for $8 on Visa, grabbed a handful of those little produce bags, and started quadruple-bagging them to leave. Another cashier comes in and says that I need to pay for those additional bags. I told her that I was multi-bagging them to carry, but she insisted that I would have to pay for that many bags.

I asked her if she wanted them back and she said 'yes'. So, I gave them back and said, 'Give me my money back.'

She said that she couldn't do a Visa reversal and had to give me cash. I told her that would be even better! I told her that if they don't want my money, they won't get my money and I'll stick to big stores that don't hassle me for such petty nonsense.

For the sake of 5 cents worth of bags, she gave up a sale. As well, she incurred the Visa service charge (about $0.50) and got nothing from the non-transaction. Lastly, those bags probably ended up in the garbage. All because of some petty and small-minded harassment over a nothing cost. I simply will not be played for a sucker.

Try and help out these mom-and-pop operations and get nothing but grief.
    Poirot and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    Will Home Depot allow customers to bring in empty lozenge tins or nail boxes to fill at the store for carrying out? I bet the cashiers are hoping customers bring in plastic kits and tape labels to jot the nail type, qty and price for checkout!

REgarding using plastic store bags for garbage: I need to find a use for the big bathroom tissue overwrap as a garbage bag as it is so big but not so easy to tie closed (would need twist-tie instead). Only a couple of times have I managed to use the overwrap as a bag for the garbage can.

I actually will be going to Value Village in early April to scour the bags racks for more of the cosmetic brands "gift with purchase" canvas totes for shopping use and will look for sturdy small bags to carry hardware items.

Just two nights ago, I gave a couple of reusable bags a wash and put one of Dad's Home Depot oversize totes (not sturdy and not for nails!) into circulation. Since two bags were hiding out in the bag storage area in a closet, they need to be in use or I will get rid of them. Shopping is going to be such a pain for me if I have to bag at every store (think the Surplus store is still providing oversize white plastic bags for shoppers who have a large purchase for free-I decline the bag if I only have a couple of items that fit in my tote).
    HermanH likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel21 View Post
    REgarding using plastic store bags for garbage: I need to find a use for the big bathroom tissue overwrap as a garbage bag as it is so big but not so easy to tie closed (would need twist-tie instead). Only a couple of times have I managed to use the overwrap as a bag for the garbage can.
    We just open the toilet tissue wrapping carefully at the top, so that the entire bag can just stand alone under the washbasin. We use them as garbage collection bags, too. Don't fill them to the top and you can just close and curl the top before tossing in the bin.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

B1G1 free bag offer on April 22 ONLY at Farm boy stores:

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

LCBO is going to phase out paper bags-customers will have to BYOBags or ask for cardboard carriers or random cardboard boxes stores has available.
    https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/lc...121302229.html

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Any time I find myself in possession of a re-useable plastic bag emblazoned with a store brand, I always turn it inside out, so that any identification is hidden. No way am I going to help promote any of those swindlers.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So, if you happen to get a Mango gift card, you could splurge on this stylish shopper tote from the website:https://shop.mango.com/ca/women/bags..._47077139.html

(Seems the updated website is showing most of the items I see on Youtuber videos from European Mango stores!).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information