User Tag List

Reviews Administrator
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ok - one spoiler, but I think that everyone knows the premise is vampires. I swear, that is the only detail I wil give away.

I am a mom, who works full time and I prefer to spend my spare time with my family or scrapbooking. But, a part of my New Year's Resolution was to read 1 Best Seller per month this year, so I picked up a few books.

So lets start with the basics:

COST

I purchased mine at Shopper's for $11.99. Now, that is the CDN RETAIL price on the back of the book. However it scanned in at $24.99. SHOPPERS!! How dare you try to double the list price!! Shame on you!! Silly me forgot about the SCOP, so I paid the $11.99.

I think this is a great price for a 500 page paperback best seller book!! I have friends who were going to borrow it, but just went and bought their own for that price.

AUTHOR

I do not know much about her, but Stephanie Meyer seems to have a great grasp on the myths and stories involving vampires. She really did a good job on this story.

SYNOPSIS

I promised no spoilers, so this will be brief. A young girl moves to a small town and meets a family of vampires. That is all I am going to tell you - you will have to spend the $11.99 to find out more -

REVIEW/RECOMMENDATIONS

This is one of the most well written young adult novels I have ever read. It is geared more towards teeneagers, but there is no reason adults of any age could not enjoy it. It is not full of corny teenager slang, or cutesy couples, etc. Instead it was very mature.

As for being geared towards young adults - here is my mom's point of view coming into play... I think it would be fine for a young adult to read. It does not deal with sex, drugs, or anything else that you may want to shelter your child from. It does however deal with vampires, which can present some fears and questions in young adults. It is not scary or gory, but there are some very descriptive scenes that could promote nightmares in younger teens. As a mom, I would have no trouble with my child reading this book, but I certainly would judge that based on their personal level of comprehension, understanding and ability to determine real from myth.

Again, I have to comment on how well written it was!! I started it Saturday night and could not put it down. I was literally reading until the my eyes were closing. I finished it last night, quite late again, because I could not put it down. It was so intriguing. It was a true page-turner.

RATING

Price - 10 / 10 - great value for your money
    Easy to Read - 10 / 10 - nothing to techinical, author provides great descriptions and explainations
    Best Seller - 10 / 10 - such a good book!!
    Age Appropriateness (geared for 13 to 19 year olds) - 8 / 10 - be careful, but nothing too racey in it

Overall - 9 / 10 (so close to a 10!!)

*Note - I purchased the movie at Shoppers on Saturday for $15 (what a deal). I have not watched it yet as I was determined to read the book first. So, once I have watched it, I will add to this review to compare the trueness of the movie to the book. I have also purchased #2 in the series New Moon and cannot wait to crack it.

Amy
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

this means we're going to have to have a book review section!!!

excellent job as usual, i'm sure twilight fans are going to have a go at this thread

will you be my friend? please? http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=298463

Thread Information