User Tag List

Thread: FoodSaver!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

FoodSaver Appliances

Greetings!

I'd like to review the FoodSaver V2040 vacuum food storage machine, just under $100 at Walmart. I'd been eyeing this appliance for awhile, when I won some money last September I went and got one.

Foodsaver is a vacuum sealing machine, enabling you to store foods either in the fridge, freezer or pantry by first removing all the air from the packaging, making the food last longer. You can seal foods in bags, canisters or mason jars, all sold separately, although a small quantity of bag material and precut bags come with the machine, as well as a hose to use with canisters and Mason jars. The machine part is to suck the air out of your package.

Food can be stored in FoodSaver bags (which come in individual bags or in a roll you can cut to size), canisters or mason jars (the jar sealer is a separate accessory). The bag rolls come in two different sizes, and have a part that can be written on with a pen to label the contents.

Pros
    - Meats and vegetables, raw or cooked, can be frozen in the Foodsaver bags without risk of freezer burn.
    - Cheeses and other refrigerated foods can be sealed in a Foodsaver bags and kept in the fridge to last much longer
    - Bags can be resealed after opening, just make the bag a bit bigger so you can cut off the sealed part and reseal
    - Dry goods such as crackers, flour, sugar, pasta, etc., can be sealed into Mason jars, keeping pests out and keeping foods fresh longer
    - You can make dip mixes, bread mixes, etc. and seal them into jars for gifts
    - Canisters and mason jars can be used to store things longer in the fridge such as cut vegetables, salads, etc.
    - You can also use the canisters and mason jars to marinate meats faster - the vacuum 'opens the pores' of meats, allowing meats to soak in more of the marinade more quickly
    - Bags can be washed out and reused (providing they were not used on raw meats)
    - Bags are cut in the size you need, so less plastic is used
    - FAR superior to zipper bags since all air is removed
    -

Cons
    - Machine takes up some space on your counter. It's my belief that if you don't have it out on the counter, you probably won't use it. So you need a bit counter space.
    - Rolls of bag material are rather expensive (best deal I've found is Costco)
    - Jar sealer and other accessories can be hard to find, at least in my area
    - If you use wide mouth and regular mason jars, you need two different jar sealers for them.
    - Canisters and other accessories can be expensive and difficult to find
    - Sealing fresh food in a mason jar with the jar sealer is NOT the same as traditional canning, so don't even try it

Overall - I give the FoodSaver a 4/5. The only reason it loses a point is for cost of bags and accessories. I love kitchen gadgets, so this is a winner for me. I love marinating meats both in Mason jars and canisters, and it does seem to protect our foods from freezer burn.

Added FYI - a set of three FoodSaver canisters and a handheld Foodsaver appliance (only used for sealing canisters and with the jar sealer attachment) has recently been available at XS Cargo for only $20 - a great deal. The canisters are fabulous for marinating all kinds of foods.

Z
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Walmart, XS Cargo

Trading Score
    31 (100%)

I have a foodSaver vacuum not the same model as yours,
    I find the orig bags or rolls are so expensive and I buy the Rival Seal a Meal rolls they are about half the prize as the foodsaver one.. I get mine at Home Hardware.

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

My mother has this food saver from Wal-mart and she says the bags are so pricey and they is the USA they are way less so everytime someone goes into the states for Holiday they have to bring her back 4 or 5 boxes. So you might want to have someone scout the price out if they are going into the USA. Good luck and thanks for the review

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I get my bags at Costco too. They are $39 for a box that includes 4 11"x10' rolls and 2 8"x22' rolls. That is cheaper than the rival rolls from Home Hardware.
    Accessories can be bought from sears, but they are expensive.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Counter top (also counter top, counter topping, counter, bench top, or (British English) worktop) usually refers to a horizontal work surface in kitchens or other food preparation areas, bathrooms or lavatories, and workrooms in general. It is frequently installed upon and supported by cabinets. The surface is positioned at an ergonomic height for the user and the particular task for which it is designed. A counter top may be constructed of various materials, both natural and man made, each with its particular attributes with respect to functionality, durability, and aesthetics and may incorporate or house appliances or accessory items relative to the intended application.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

We have the foodsaver(bought at Costco in the states) and we looooooooooooove it!

I have used it for everything from meat and cheese to marinating. I love how it doesn't allow my frozen meat to get yucky freezer burn

I highly reccomend it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I have had a FoodSaver for several years and find it is wonderful. I use it for much more than just food. For example, I have amassed a stockpile of deodorant and I have sealed most of it in a larger bag to keep it fresh for a very long period of time. I have done this with items like fabric marker pens that we used for birthday parties once or twice a year. They will last for years this way without drying out. It's also great if you buy the great big containers of spices from Costco. Put some of the spice into smaller jars and seal the rest in a FS bag. They are also great if you buy very large blocks or cheese or the huge grated parmesan from Costco.

I don't use the rolls very often. I order the 1 pint, 1 quart and 1 gallon bags from various eBay sellers (U.S.) I find they are very economical compared to Canadian prices and there is much less waste with the bags.

I do agree with the OP that it is best to have it out on the counter so that you remember to actually use it.

Thread Information