User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Smart Canuck GottaLoveFreeebies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Isn't daycare crazy expensive....the exact reason I am doing this....I save more than I would profit working...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwis-mom View Post
    That's a great way to use your savings! I too shop only on sale (unless I'm in dire need) and shop at discount stores for everything from food to clothes to makeup (I can't remember the last time I bought clothes that weren't on sale or from the thrift store). Our trip to Florida hopefully won't cost too much...as it stands we have to pay $100 for a week's accommadation(in-laws time share condo) plus whatever food for the week(hoping to get some US coupons), not to mention the gas to drive down(praying for low prices). I figure I would rather save and have the money before I go down rather than spend and have to deal with the credit card later . I spend my days trying to save every penny I can...I'm a stay-at-home mom (daycare was too expensive compared to how much I made from my work...what's the point in going to work just to pay someone else to watch your kid and have no money left over?) and my husband works his tail off to make money to pay the mortgage and bills so I know what it's like to not have much after the bills are paid...but I do try my best.

Frugalmom
    Trading Score
    108 (100%)

We have been aggressively paying down debt since October.....so any amount saved is put to good use. Gail Vazoxlade (Till debt do us part) would be so proud of all of us. Its all about living WITHIN our means.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

towards bills, every penny counts!

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by penny_lane View Post
    Same. I lost my job a few months ago very suddenly, and havent been able to find one since. (speaking of which I have a job interview tomorrow if anyone would like to cross their fingers for me haha) We need coupons or else we wouldn't be able to afford to buy the basics
    I lost my job months ago too, and haven't found anything. I feel like pain. I am lucky to have a bf that has a steady job at a time like this.

Good luck on the interview!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Savings with coupons, deals, etc. helps us pay the rent and bills, period. No holidays, no luxuries, no entertainment budget at all - just getting by.

Trading Score
    43 (100%)

We have three kids one income. so the coupons allow us to have stocked up cupboards,we don't take vactions and fix everything ourselves. Hubby doesn't have a pension either so the less i spent on food excetra the little bit more hubby can save. We bought a cheap house with a small mortgage, the kids get new clothes but they have to be on sale or clearence or vallue village but my clothes come from my daughters friends, our friends always offer stuff to use before they throw thing away. all my furniture has come from someone except on chair that was my xmas present but it was $800 marked down to $295 becasue of a small hole. I am alotted some much money to spend per month on nessities food and bills so the more i save with coupons the more i have to spend. In september when we sign the kids up for hockey and gymnastics it costs $1200 so the coupons also help towards that aswell.

cheryls
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

do you guys ever check out the grocery deals they get in the states?? it's crazy ... i follow some blogs of frugal american shoppers .. they get coupons that print out on their receipts, they have double coupon days like everywhere ... and lots of other things i have never even heard of .. i wish we could get food cheaper instead of bodywash and stuff.

There is this great website called myfoodstoragedeals.com ... it's all about creating a food reserve and how to cut costs. I really like it and I've started stocking up on stuff. Last week was the pasta sauce at giant tiger and the mayonnaise at superstore. This week will be the peanut butter at zellers and the pillsbury crescent rolls .. I know they are not a neccesity but you can't even bake for that price!

I even starting saving my old bread and making bread crumbs and added my own seasonings to it. I'd love to share tips on how people are slashing their grocery bills if anybody is interested as I find this is a huge expense in our household and we have to get control of it.
    Last edited by cheryls; Fri, Apr 3rd, 2009 at 09:40 AM.

Frugalmom
    Trading Score
    108 (100%)

I too am forever reading about money saving tips and ways to slash your grocery bills. I just google....."thrifty living" and get hundreds of ideas.

Trading Score
    57 (100%)

I guess we are pretty lucky in our house right now. We are going to be DINKS (double income, no kids) this fall, but we support 4 of the 5 kids that we have (blended family) even if they don't live at home. So between bills, child support, mortgage, excetra we find that we are able to put a little aside for savings towards our retirement.

PM me if you would like an invite to SuperPoints! Easy way to make Christmas money!
    Do you "Like" Regal? Check out my FB page to get a catalogue: https://www.facebook.com/#!/your.regal.gifts please!

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheryls View Post
    I even starting saving my old bread and making bread crumbs and added my own seasonings to it.
    I thought I was the only one that does that!. It's so much cheaper and yummier

The $ I save by coupon clipping is mainly going toward paying off debt but I am trying to squirel away some extra in a seperate account for "rainy days".

I have even been able to make some awesome gift baskets for some friends for their anniversary and 1 because she is reeeeeally sick. They all love the basket and I paid almost nothing for it!

cheryls
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

[quote=harbie;848733] I thought I was the only one that does that!. It's so much cheaper and yummier

I know hey?!! I never even thought of doing that .. I added rosemary, italian seasoning and some parmesan cheese and just stuck them in the freezer .. I also got two huge bags of apples at superstore 50% off .. made applesauce in my crockpot and freezed it .. YUM!!

We should totoally start a recipe thread on budget meals

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

[quote=cheryls;848766]
    Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    I thought I was the only one that does that!. It's so much cheaper and yummier

I know hey?!! I never even thought of doing that .. I added rosemary, italian seasoning and some parmesan cheese and just stuck them in the freezer .. I also got two huge bags of apples at superstore 50% off .. made applesauce in my crockpot and freezed it .. YUM!!

We should totoally start a recipe thread on budget meals
    oh you sure have given me some ideas. my daughter loves applesauce, how do you make it. it would be awesome if there is a seperate thread on bugdet meals because food costs so much and most of what i buy is fresh produce of which theres hardly any coupons for that

Smart Canuck GottaLoveFreeebies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)

You can also make homeade croutons from 'old' bread.....

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

http://www.dealstomeals.com/docs/FOO...GE_RECIPES.pdf here are some good recipes you can make with the staples

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beautiful/me View Post
    Ditto the above. I use coupons to stay afloat. My little indulgences aren't a brand name body wash now, or razor... Now its being able to pay the bills. A little over a year ago it was get the things we need and not pay bills or vice versa, now I can have both. My kids don't go without milk because I can afford it! We don't go without juice, or bread because we always have it now. I don't go without coffee because I can't afford a $6 can because I needed milk.. Its being comfortable, happy, and oh yeah.. our bills are paid! Once I get ahead, I'd like to save the money, or replace the "new to us" furniture and appliances and get "NEW" furniture and appliances, after that.. who knows..

but its one step at a time
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Savings with coupons, deals, etc. helps us pay the rent and bills, period. No holidays, no luxuries, no entertainment budget at all - just getting by.
    Same here, it all goes to other bills at the moment with the construction industry being slow
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information