User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

actually it IS your fault if you dont bother to check current sales before you try and use your coupon on an item. If an item is on sale, you should not get an addition discount with your coupon... its already on sale.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!! This does not make sense I wait for item to go on sale and then I use my coupon to get the best price possible.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    477 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by c_mcarthur View Post
    actually it IS your fault if you dont bother to check current sales before you try and use your coupon on an item. If an item is on sale, you should not get an addition discount with your coupon... its already on sale.
    ARE YOU KIDDING? your gonna piss off alot of people by saying that. Who doesn't love to save money. I wait for sales to use my coupons to save more money. I don't know about you, BUT i have a family to take care of and any money saved is extra money for other stuff.
    Join to earn GCs and many more prizes..
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/linny

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by linny View Post
    ARE YOU KIDDING? your gonna piss off alot of people by saying that. Who doesn't love to save money. I wait for sales to use my coupons to save more money. I don't know about you, BUT i have a family to take care of and any money saved is extra money for other stuff.
    I think the poster you are rely to represents the feeling of a lot of managers/cashiers at stores. Who cares if they "piss off" people on the board, he/she is just stating their thoughts on it.

EDIT: If you read my SDM haul from last night, the manager suggested that I was manipulating coupons by suggesting that they input $2.99 on a $3 off coupon instead of $3 since the product was $2.99 and I was trying to use a $3 off. This will happen and it should be expected. The coupon is not intended for this, and they can just reason out that it was a clearance item, they don't have to accept the coupon.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/77953-s...e-haul-canada/
    Last edited by Justine; Thu, Apr 23rd, 2009 at 11:52 AM.

Trading Score
    43 (100%)

I only use my coupons on sale items. I wait and hold on to them and when i see them go on sale then away i go with coupons in hand.

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

i always wait for sales too.. with a family of 5 (2 parents 3 young boys) and the way the economy has taken it's toll on our jobs i have to save every penny.
    I am a "senior canuck" but have been away from the site for awhile.. Please be patient with me as I go through and re-learn the ins and outs, do's and don'ts once again. . I look forward to chatting and trading with all of you

Trading Score
    102 (100%)

thank you ... i could care less if i '''piss alot of people off'' with my thoughts...but its true, most companies will not honour coupons if the item is already on sale.. thats the point of the SALE for families to SAVE money.. im as frugal as im assuming most people are on here but i follow the rules and procedures.

Trading Score
    317 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwis-mom View Post
    I find lately that a lot of cashiers are reading the coupon carefully and circling the expiry dates...if you circle the important info for them they usually just whip it through without a thought.
    I do this, and you are right!, it works....they don't seem to read as much of the coupon once they know the expiry date and that it is redeemable in Canada...so I circle (or highlight) those two items.

Banned
    Trading Score
    192 (100%)

whenever i have problems with a cashier, i explain to them how the coupon works and if there's still a problem with him/her accepting it, i ask to speak to a supervisor. if the supervisor also won't accept the coupon(s), i ask for the store manager. not cashier manager, STORE MANAGER. the big guy. 9 times out of 10 they will say "s/he's in a meeting, sorry". if that's the case, i get the cashiers name, supervisors name AND store managers name. i make sure they see me write it down and then tell them i will be contacting head office to let them know about the problems i'm having. i then usually leave all of my stuff on the counter and walk away. i get really frustrated when they try to tell me i'm doing something wrong and treat me like a criminal and i can get really loud. i try not to do that, and instead just walk away.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm fairly new to this board and although I have used coupons in past I am learning and using them more efficiently in these past few weeks and one way to accomplish this has been to use coupons on items on sale. The sale price of the items has always been more than the value of the coupons used and there was no where on the coupon or anything else that indicated I could not use my coupon toward the purchase of the item.

Pardon my ignorance but can someone clarify this for me: if an item is on sale I CANNOT use a coupon I have for that item if I choose to purchase it? If that is the case, is it just part of each individual store policy, manufacturer policy or against any regional/provincial/federal legislation/rule/law.

If redeeming my coupon on an item on sale is perfectly legal and not against store policy, then I don't see why I should avoid doing so. That said, I'm not ashamed of using coupons whenever I can to help stretch my dollar.
    Last edited by frugal_gal; Thu, Apr 23rd, 2009 at 07:01 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Are you a troll? Are you being sarcastic?

You can't be serious. If you are then you are just ignorant. Unless otherwise stated coupons certainly an be used in combination with sales but everyone with half a brain knows that.

I don't have many problems with cashiers. If they give me any trouble I explain it the best I can. If I am justified in using the coupon then I will just wait while they ask for help from their manager. I feel bad for the people behind me in line when a cashier calls for help but it's not my fault it is the stores fault for not properly training cashiers.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

C_mcarthur is not being ignorant. I have been turned away for trying to use coupons on clearance items, it happened last night at SDM. Store policies vary store to store, some places will accept any coupon, but you can't be surprised when they don't. I like deals, stretching my dollar etc just the same as the next person, but you have to use common sense when shopping, the store doesn't owe you anything just because you come in and wave some coupons around, and are justified when they refuse to take them.

Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gradin123 View Post
    Are you a troll? Are you being sarcastic?

You can't be serious. If you are then you are just ignorant. Unless otherwise stated coupons certainly an be used in combination with sales but everyone with half a brain knows that.

I don't have many problems with cashiers. If they give me any trouble I explain it the best I can. If I am justified in using the coupon then I will just wait while they ask for help from their manager. I feel bad for the people behind me in line when a cashier calls for help but it's not my fault it is the stores fault for not properly training cashiers.
    Am I a troll? wow thats a new one, no im not being sarcastic.
    and im not being ignorant either, im blantly stating that MOST companies will not accept coupons on sale items, on some coupons it clearly states that cannot be used in conjunction with any other sale or discount I suggest you read the fine print.

Trading Score
    317 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sassiesmom View Post
    I had one cashier at our local Extra Foods tell me that they get in trouble when they put a coupon through on a clearance item, so she wouldn't let me use a $5 coupon on a $5.95 marked down fusion razor. I was not impressed but didn't bother purchasing the item either. She said to talk to the managers (which I haven't bothered, I hate our local EF anyways) but that's what the cashiers were told. I haven't checked the coupon policy for EF, I imagine it'll be on their website?
    I've been told by several Extra Foods employees (supervisor/manager level) that they do not accept coupons on clearance/marked down items. I got into a 20 minute debate with 5 employees standing in front of me (talk about feeling ganged up on! HA) refusing to let me use coupons because their 'system' couldn't take it, saying it was impossible for their system to do it. PPPPPFFFTT! You shoulda seen the look on their faces when I fished out my receipt from a few days before showing that their cashier did do it for me without me even asking...she just entered it in as a vendor coupon. I actually wrote a letter to the owner/operator of my local EF, he's on vacation til next week tho.

For perishables, if it is marked down you can't use a coupon either. I find this ridiculous...if a customer doesn't buy the item...it gets tossed out in most cases. Wouldn't they rather sell the item with a coupon and make a customer happy, and get back money rather than throwing it out? Or returning it to the distributor?

Also, I was told that EF will not do a price adjustment on a marked down item. If I bought item A for a mark down to $5 and the following day it is further reduced to $2.50...I'm SOL! They don't allow refunds on marked down items (says final Sale on receipt).

AND....their receipts at the top say..."Refunds/Exchanges will be considered within 14 days with valid receipt". That's a 'cover our butt' statement that could encompass any reason they wanna use.

Ahh thanks for letting me vent..LOL...I feel better now!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    C_mcarthur is not being ignorant. I have been turned away for trying to use coupons on clearance items, it happened last night at SDM. Store policies vary store to store, some places will accept any coupon, but you can't be surprised when they don't. I like deals, stretching my dollar etc just the same as the next person, but you have to use common sense when shopping, the store doesn't owe you anything just because you come in and wave some coupons around, and are justified when they refuse to take them.
    He didn't say clearance items. He said sale items. I could understand the refusal to allow coupons of clearance items although I have done it before without any problems.

Sale items though? Why in the world would you not be allowed to use it on a sale item. 90% of the coupons I use are on sale items.

Just yesterday I got 4 packs of Glad Cling Wrap for 25 cents each at Walmart Superstore. $1 on sale - 75 cents coupon.

His claim about not using coupons on sale items is completely unfounded and completely false. Also, they are ignorant.

Ignorant - lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information