User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    215 (100%)

when was Your first Coupon Experince? How was it?When did you first start using them? Where did you find out about COUPON usage if it wasnt for smart canucks?
    (I hope this is the right section,its related to coupons right )
    *Im hoping this isnt a lame thread I just invented LOL*

Hope to hear cool stories!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Want free giftcards? Use Swagbucks Like Google and Earn Gift cards!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/SaiyenBlood

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I can't remember the first time - that was like 26 years ago - I started using coupons when I had the 4 children at home, money was tight and the expenses high - They did not even have internet when I first started - I collected them from magazines and often they were sent in the mail or in the local papers - I see less and less of them sent this way now - It seems now I order them from places on line and they are mailed, find them in stores, or print them off the computer - how times change. But the principle idea has remained the same - save a penny here and there and before you know it you have a dollar. There was a time that I had stopped using coupons though - mostly due to lack of access to them. But as times have become tighter again - I have returned to that old habit - coupon searching and have actually enjoying it - smart canucks does make it easier!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I started using coupons back in the 1980`s. I got them from magazines, in stores and newspaper inserts. There were also many refunds at that time. I used to get a newsletter about refunding and traded a lot of UPC`s for them. For a long time there weren`t many coupons available. I started using them again when I found SC. Now I`m addicted once more!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I started doing it a few years ago, I can't remember how it started... I just remember buying a lot of granola bars so I could get the free happy meal coupons - and I had a cute little coupon book and everything - Gosh, I had to be 16 or 17! Funny thing is, my parents have never been "coupon" people... it's something I've become obsessed with on my own! But then I left my coupon book on the counter at a McDonalds out of town. And I kinda lost touch with it. But I guess within the last year I've picked it back up, and I discovered this website, and just became whole new levels of obsessed! My family now thinks I'm insane.

Trading Score
    215 (100%)

you guys seem to be more experinced coupon people. I started out last december..with my olay coupon...10$ off when you buy any 3...including trial versions. I was extreamly nervous but tried it out for the P and G gift card offer,that really made me do it. Over the years when I was younger i did come across smar source and other coupons in store..but ignored it thinking to myself...whats the point,save 50 cents? why carry around a big piece of paper to save a fwe cents,waste of time ,and what if the store doesnt even accept coupons etc etc ..and I would feel emberssed that if I do use a coupon,maybe I would look poor? (really stupid of me to think that!) would go across my mind,since my family were never coupon clippers. After reading all the wonderful deals SC members were getting with coupons,I was assured that coupons are accepted everywhere...well big stores anyways,not sure for small stores. the walmart coupon policy always helped me when ever I tried to use coupons at the store,its like a passport to me. And since Im a student,every cent and penny really counts! When I was kid,50 cents didnt mean anything to me
    I have learned my value for money.Thanks SC

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

I originally started when I was 20, so 18 years ago..lol...same here, money was tight, new baby at home, and we were sharing a house with my mother in law, who herself is the coupon queen. She would cut them out of the papers/magazines for me, and I joined the baby clubs back then for savings on diapers etc..I haven't really used coupons in the last 10 years, just didn't bother, until this March, when I accidentally found the SC site when I was looking online for formula coupons..My what a difference..my grocery bill in on month when from an average of 1200$ a month to less than 500 typically..my husband at first thought it was a waste of time, but when he saw all the freebies I get and the deeply discounted groceries, he is amazed we have been paying regular price all these years.
    He even said if people knew how to properly use coupons by combining sales with coupons, etc..how maybe people who can't afford to eat would be able to feed their families...
    I am thankful every day now that I joined SC, even though I am addicted now..haha!

Trading Score
    215 (100%)

I agree with your hubby litesandsirens911,wish they knew about SC.
    I starte dso late on coupons,better late then never

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

A zillion years ago, probably pre-teen. Would help my mom shopping, and finding coupons in magazines.
    In the small city we lived in, our 'corner store' a few blocks away actually had decent groceries. Since we were regulars, they would take extra coupons for items even if we weren't buying those particular items. Gosh, it would be nice to find a store like that now!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I just started last month. After the holidays I decided to get serious about tracking my spending. I started making spreadsheets and keeping track of every little thing that I buy, mostly because I am trying as hard as I can to put large chunks on my student loan every month (only $2200 to go!). I want to get it paid off before I have to start making car payments again in June (I had money put aside from and accident for the payments while it is leased, but the lease is up in June and I have to buy it out). So couponing grew out of that, I found a few good sites and then I discovered SC and it just took off. Now when shopping I find myself paying way more attention to the coupons that might be in each isle than the actual products! Its like a treasure hunt every time I go to a store.

P.S - except at Wal Mart. Stupid Wal Mart in Bayers Lake NEVER has coupons!
    I would love to talk to other saves/moms in the Halifax/Sackville/Bedford area.

Trading Score
    115 (100%)

I remember using McDonald's coupons as a teenager but I gradually got into it when I was pregnant with my first child. I signed up online for a bunch of baby freebies that often came with coupons so I would use them sometimes if they were sent to me or I would clip the diaper coupons from the inserts that were delivered to my work. At the time I also began searching online for saving money tips and discovered save.ca. When I was pregnant with my second child I began researching online again after watching a show on TV about a person in the states who clipped coupons and got all kinds of free stuff. I then discovered Smart Canucks and have been 'coupon obsessed' ever since. I HATE to pay full price for anything now.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

I think I really started when I got a cat, I started him off on the same expensive food they were giving him at the pet store, which was fine when he was a kitten because he really didnt eat that much, but once he started getting older and eating more it quickly got too expensive, so I went online to find a cheaper high-end food. Found the Iams coupons on save.ca (back when they were at least $5-7 off) and started using those coupons, but still didnt really collect instore or order from any other online site. At this point I didnt know you could use coupons on sale items. Once I found out I got a little hooked. Now that I've been laid off I am even worse! Or better haha

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have been using coupons for about 35 years!!!!
    Always joke that is how I bought my first house LOL.....now I joke that is how I was able to retire at 55...
    the trick is to combine coupons with the sales...and to only use coupons for what you use....

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I found this site a year ago, but didnt really pay much attention to it, then when I was off work for an injury, I was browsing around and happened upon it again. That was at the same time the rexall had their $5.00 when you spend $5.00 coupon out. I told my friend about it, and she jumped right on that, then let me know what she got, so I got in on it too. I thought it was soooo good, and if that was what coupons were all about, then I would start checking this site more often. I remember 20 yrs ago, coupons were only worth .25-.30 cents and I always thought "why bother"

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I started as a kid. I used to go grocery shopping with my Granny every week. It was my "job" to keep track of the coupons. Whatever amount I saved her, I got to keep.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My caregivers would always use coupons when I was kid and I was never averse to employing them, until I hit adolescence and then it was embarrassing for me (it was a teen thing), but I grew out of that quickly. I've been randomly using coupons most of my adult life, often those displayed next to products while I was grocery shopping.

I only started to really coupon (i.e. crazy coupon ladies as I used to call them) in the last few months recognizing the savings I was amounting when I started to keep track of my finances in depth! I realized that it wasn't just a penny here or a penny there, but dollars and then they stack up quickly!!!! It was awesome because I was able to use my savings for a day at the spa (for which I also used a coupon) after only 3 months! Now I'm hooked and find there is something extremely gratifying in couponing!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information