User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Nope - I buy only what I need and what we will use. Otherwise it is taking up valuable space in my house. If you are buying more than you need, and products you'll never use just because you have a coupon, and if you are shopping every 2-3 days as you say you are, you are probably losing money!!!! You have to think of what your time is worth, all those hours driving to and from stores, actual shopping time, in addition to the money you are spending unnecessarily.

Trading Score
    194 (100%)

lol i definitely have been spending a lot more, soemtimes on stuff i dont usually buy. but i know i can use it when making gift baskets, and in the long run, i am saving a ton of money because most of the stuff i'm buying are essentials (toilet paper, paper towels, oral care, laundry and dish soap etc)
    Want Amazon.ca or other gift cards? Join Swagbucks and Irazoo! $515 redeemed to date.

My blog: http://seapotato.blogspot.com/

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Nope. LOL! I think I'm an undiagnosed obsessive compulsive and make lists and plans on everything including my grocery/shopping lists. I plan all my meals, check all the flyers, organize schedules and coupons and then go in. It's rare that I overspend unless I see something I REALLY want. LOL!

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by daphne010180 View Post
    Agree, but the problem with me is that even buying ONLY the stuff that is almost free or free, taxes still apply. I am going broke just paying taxes!!
    I agree! I find that I spend more than I expect on taxes!

I agree with a lot of people - I'm only buying things that I know I'm going to use and need (shampoo, toilet paper mostly) and when I find it at a great price.

I try and make as many as my coupons into FPC's and try and pay as little as possible.
    "Call it magic, call it true/I call it magic when I'm with you" - Coldplay, Magic

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I found for the first week or two I went coupon crazy and bought things that I really didn't need. Now I am trying to just keep coupons for products that I know I will use (the others go into photo albums for trades). I have also found that since I am scouring the weekly flyers for sale items that I can use coupons on, I also take that time to plan out a few of the weeks meals based on which meat is on sale. Obviously, that helps me cut down on the price of meat throughout the month but planning the meals in advance also helps cut down on spoiled veggies because you are only buying what you will use.
    I would love to talk to other saves/moms in the Halifax/Sackville/Bedford area.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Just checked my bank program for what I had spent year to date last year before I used coupons on groceries-toiletries and cosmetics the amount was $2879.53. That counts into the fact lots was no-name and my house wasn't puking out extras.

Now lets see this year to date same items after I learnt to coupon. Total is $1768.20 with a room piled high with extras.

Last year from this time my weekly spending was $191.96 and this year my weekly total averages $117.88 and next christmas could come tomorrow as I've so done christmas. I'm lucky I had kept track for years so it's easy for me to see how well I've done. Now lots here will still count my budget as to high but hey I'm happy with it.

Not worthy is here are my numbers for these products year to date without coupons counted in or earned money from airmiles or HBC or swag or all the other crap I do now to get my bottom line down
    Groceries actuak spent before deductions $3032.85
    Cleaners $573.98
    Cosmetics$1210.38
    Now add that up and it makes you wonder how it's possible to get to $117.88 per week but I did and it wasn't even hard and if I'd never used coupons or earned optimum and such it would have averaged out to $321.14 which when you look at it that way yes I spend more off the top but the bottom line is the only one that counts. Cash out of my pocket is less
    Last edited by Melody113; Sat, Apr 11th, 2009 at 09:01 PM.
    Total earned to date $2425.00 saving for a trip : )
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Deoxis

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lili View Post
    I found out recently I shop alot, almost every two three days I go shopping .Yes ,I do save some money from using coupon but I also notice that I spend more money to buy the stuff I usually won't buy. For example, I have WUB 2 save $1 coupon for a product but the product about $2 each ,I normally won't buy it but I have coupon so Why not use this coupon ? It's happens quiet often now .hi guys ,what should I do ? stop using coupon ?
    Some suggestions for you, Lili:
    1. Make a budget for groceries, household items, toiletries, etc. and stay within that budget.
    2. Cut down on the number of times you go shopping per week. Try taking a no-spend challenge for a certain amount of time - a few days, a week, 2 weeks - whatever works for you.
    3. Using coupons for things we don't need is a lot of fun, isn't it? Rather than cutting them out completely, try limiting yourself to 1 or 2 of the "just for fun" coupons per month and use them as rewards if you are able to stay within your budget.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

I think sales also save me more. Before I started couponing I made a resolution to track coupons ONLY on what I normally buy. Some things we're brand loyal some we're agnostic ... don't really care so on those I go with the best deal factoring in coupons. Seems to work so far.

I also have a "freebie" column where I track bonus items that I would normally not try or use - but I don't count them as savings. So eating oatmeal 3 days at Starbucks for free or a tea infusion or a free glade product.

I spend more in that I buy more of some things that are on sale and we eat more them. Granola bars are the real culprit and cereal. So I spend more on those foods because I get them on sale and my teenagers use them for snacks as well as lunch sweet instead of cookies and for breakfast.

The thing is the coupons do work in the way companies intend with me -- at least in the exposure and try something new part-- if the deal is good enough I'll try something. I much more aware of all the products out there than 6 months ago and have been more adventurous and a small number get into my "regular" purchase pool.

My biggest challenge is shopping for "gifting" to shelters and the food bank. When is the deal good enough - I see so many "free" deals - I rarely get free. Tonight I bought the 3 pack Life soaps on sale from $1.29 to 25 cents. I picked up 8 of them $2 plus tax, so 24 bars for the Shelter. I spend so much time fretting about the choice -- I think this envelope might work. I'm going to do the envelope trick for "gifting" but in $10 or $20 at the beginning of each week and just do what I can.

Couponing is alot like fishing - there's all the stories of the big one or the ones that got away. I'm waiting to catch my 50 pounder!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MerryJ View Post
    I also find that I save more money by looking at the flyers and stocking up on what is on sale. Coupons save me some money, but sales save me more.
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I would love to do more of that. For me it's figuring out what is appropriate in each category. Our income fluctuates depending on how much hubby worked that month, so it's hard for me to plan and budget. It seems like an overwhelming task.

I have to admit I'm not good at budgeting...so if anyone has good tips or suggestions don't hesitate to pass them on my way.
    I don't categories how my money has to be spent; it is however spent primarily on the essentials like groceries and gas and the occasional treat. As I noted in a previous post in this thread I did tend to buy somethings just because they were a good deal and I thought I would eventually use it. Over the past couple or so years, when I pick up something that would not be considered an essential item, I literally question whether I really need the item or not and usually just talk myself out of buying it.
    Now that I've found SC and 'played around' for about a week, I have to smarten up and stick to my initial plan of spending just on the essentials but now save even more by applying the various tricks and tips I keep picking up in this forum.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    343 (100%)

Thank you guys ,there are very very helpful tips and suggestions I will consider change my way to shopping.Here is what I will do next:
    1 only buy the stuff I will use
    2 cut down the times going out shopping

Here is a question again :
    I have 3 adult and 1 infant and 1 two years old in my house ,I spend about $600 per month for grocery and gas (only one car ),Do you think its a reasonable spending ? really need some advice to getting start my saving thank you very much.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

For those of you that want help budgeting, I higly reccommend the tools on Gail Vaz Oxlade's website.
    http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/articles/article31.htm

Frugalmom
    Trading Score
    108 (100%)

I love Gail and read her daily blog. Go and read her April 7th entry............Spend less, earn more, whats it going to be? She is very knowledgable and offers help during this economic crisis. Many of you have probably seen her show.....Till debt do us part.
    I try to save as much as I can with coupons but occasionally find I'm buying the odd thing I normally wouldn't.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Yes I fell into that trap in the beginning...buy things because they were on sale and I had coupons for them..even though they were items I would never normally buy nor did I need. So I've quickly changed my habits and will only pick it up if I was going to buy it anyway or need it in the near future or if its free.

I will brand shop so if something brand named is cheaper using a coupon than the no-name then I will buy the brand name.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

For me, it depends on how cheap it is... i only buy things that I don't necessarily need if it's dirt cheap! Otherwise I only look for coupons on items I am already planning to buy.

Allergic to Stupidity
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lili View Post
    Here is a question again :
    I have 3 adult and 1 infant and 1 two years old in my house ,I spend about $600 per month for grocery and gas (only one car ),Do you think its a reasonable spending ? really need some advice to getting start my saving thank you very much.
    I have 3 adults & 1 toddler (still in pullups - the end is in sight, thank the gods!!), and 2 housecats ... one car. I spend about $450-500/month for gorceries & fuel ... thanks to SC. (my grocery bill has dropped by about 20% since I started couponing in earnest.)
    My best advice to you is to set small goals ... try to shave $5-10 off your grocery bill at first, then increase your savings as you get the hang of it. I found that if my saving goals were too high at first, I'd end up disappointed when I'd fall short - baby steps to bigger savings. ;-)
    Better to remain silent & be thought a fool than to open your mouth & confirm it.
    $15 Paypal, $100 Amazon since July, and counting! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Kaldirris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information