User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smartmama
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Expired
    I'm amazed that there are still stores out there that will not take manufacturers coupons when an item is on sale. Happened today at PJ's Pet Express when I was going to buy Iams cat food. Was told "This cat food is on special so we can't take coupons." The price of the bag of cat food was still $20. Did not argue or complain but needless to say, I left the store without making a purchase. Wonder how many other sales they have lost as a result.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    317 (100%)

I;ve never had a problem using a coupon on a sale item in big chain/dept stores, grocery, or drug stores. The only time I havent' been able to use a coupon is at Extra Foods on clearance items (which is different from a sale). I saw your other post about the Olay clearance at Rexall..you were very lucky to be able to use coupons. Good for you!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

When giving a coupon to a retailer it is basically the exact same thing as using money. The store is reimbursed AND makes a small handling fee on top. So I fail to see why it should matter if it is on sale or clearance.
    I have never ever had a problem on a sale item at any store.

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

I haven't had any problems using coupons on sale or clearance items. The store gets reimbursed for the value of the coupon, making it the same as cash so I don't see why there would be an exclusion for sale or clearance products.
    Join SWAGBUCKS! I've made over $1000 so far! Click here to join!!

Regal Fundraiser!! Ongoing so no due date and items ship directly to your door! Use this link and put Lisa Taylor under the Referral Name on the payment page. Thank you for your support! www.hrtc.shopregal.ca

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

i sometimes wonder what is going on in sales people's heads ... where do they get this crazy idea that the are losing out on money or something or that because we use coupons we are ripping them off somehow .... makes me nutts

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by maybe View Post
    I haven't had any problems using coupons on sale or clearance items. The store gets reimbursed for the value of the coupon, making it the same as cash so I don't see why there would be an exclusion for sale or clearance products.
    I tend to agree. In general I haven't encountered any problems redeeming coupons on items that were on sale or clearance.
    That being said if I ran into a situation where the cashier indicated s/he wouldn't accept the coupon because the item was on sale/clearance I wouldn't make a fuss. I would likely do one of 3 things: if there wasn't a line up behind me I might ask the cashier if it's possible to check with CSManager as to whether the store would in fact accept or not the coupon; I might just decide not to take the item depending on what it was, the price and how badly I really needed it at the time; pay for the item and then go to CS desk to verify with CSM as to whether coupon can infact be used or not.
    I respect that each store may have their own coupon policy and I'll use my coupons at the stores that allow me to make the most of my savings!

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

I used my save$10 olay at wal-mart the other day for an olay regenerist bodywash with 3pkgs of soap on sale for $5 bought 3 figure I could give them as gifts....came across them by accident....they had lots of these packs....

Trading Score
    159 (99%)

I have bben told now at Zellers and SDM that I can not use on sale and clearance price items. It has to be on regular priced items. I think at Shoppers it was Dove shampoo on clearance for 2.00 and I had 1.50 coupon. Then I think at Zellers it was Olay sun cream that gives you a glow. It was on clearance for 3.99 and I was going to use WUB3 10.00. They said no. So ya it really depends on the cashier I think too.
    Last edited by tracywoodbeck; Sun, Apr 26th, 2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Maybe cashiers dont get told that the store gets the money back from the company? Maybe they just assume its like a sale where the store just makes less. Next time ask to speak to a manager.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I redeemed for $170 at SDM yesterday, used over $10 in coupons and every item I was using a coupon on was on sale. No problem at all!

Z

Trading Score
    7 (85%)

I've used coupons on sales before!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    134 (100%)

I have never been given a hassle about using coupons on sale items but most places really don't like using them for clearance items. At SDM I was able to use my $5 Gillette coupons on the $7 clearance but only after talking to a supervisor.
    jax

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

This was brought up in the cashiers treating like you are stealing when using coupons thread.

I had problems using using my $10 off olay on 3 regenerist mousse cleansers that were in the clearance section of SDM this past weekend. The manager got called over, she left me use it, but was very hesitant explaining that the store will not get the total amount back if she let's me use the coupon. Which is not true.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I might understand not taking coupons on certain marked down clearance items - I know sometimes Loblaw Co. stores will put these pink reduced stickers on (different from the 50% off stickers) which ring up at the register "RED Health&Beauty" rather than the product it is, for instance. In that instance, there is no actual accounting that they sold an actual "Olay" product or whatever it is. However, given that these stores sell tens of thousands in merchandise (srsly) on every given day, and most people DON'T use coupons, they usually don't have a hassle with it, at least at LCL stores (best stores to shop at, not even kidding!). But sale items, well there is no reason not to take it as far as I'm concerned.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I use 95% of all my coupons on sales items - that is what makes it worth the discount - in my opinion most consumer products are over priced to begin with. The store mark up is high enough that the business is still making $$'s regardless of sale price and the use of a coupon(which they are reinbursed for).
    Don't be discouraged by one store - usiing coupons on sale items still makes sense
    Life's Like That!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information