User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Home made baby food is always great. Then you know exactly what they are eating.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Milk is about $6 a gallon here and NEVER goes on clearance. Fortunately we don't drink much in our household, our three year old is the primarly consumer of milk. I put it in coffee and cereal, that's it. I think my mom used to freeze milk, with no problem.

However, I have no qualms at all about buying reduced produce. Recently i was able to get into Superstore a couple times first thing in the morning. I got a couple pounds of mushrooms half price, which weren't snowy white, maybe needed a bit of trimming, but were mostly fine. Also got green peppers that had maybe a couple of wrinkled bits to chop off, but were 95% perfect.

The mushrooms I cleaned and sauteed and then laid out on a cookie sheet and froze, just so they wouldn't freeze in one big gob. Once they were frozen I put them into a mason jar and/or a bag and sealed with my Foodsaver. The peppers I didn't cook, just washed and diced, then followed the same steps as the mushrooms. We make homemade pizza on a regular basis, and these are two of our basic toppings. This way I can take out as much as I need at once. Good quick additions to spaghetti sauce too!

I often cook a big batch of ground beef too (if I buy it marked down, I cook it as soon as I get home), and freeze it in portions for our pizzas or pasta. No food poisoning yet!

Homemade baby food is definitely the way to go IMO, if you can find the time. No preservatives, it's easy and it's CHEAP, also freezes well. My son never ate ANYTHING from a jar! I sometimes feel that this is why our three year old son is not a picky eater now. Once he started eating more than just breastmilk and got past the regular baby cereals, he ate what we ate. And today he still will eat nearly anything we're eating.

Z
    Last edited by Zonny; Sun, Apr 26th, 2009 at 09:04 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Great Job! I dont' drink milk or freeze it But I did have to freeze goat's milk when my daughter was on it and had problems with it going bad.

Glad it works for you and great job on apple sauce. I freeze mine in snack bags and then we have no waste.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    213 (100%)

Way to maximize your savings. Just so some are aware, most baby foods don't have preservatives in them and I have found that with smart shopping, I can actually buy the baby food for cheaper than making it. For example, I decided to make my daughter squash one day. I bought the squash and it had to bake in the oven for over an hour until it was soft enough to puree. Then I had to puree it all and in the end, I only ended up with something like the equivalent to 5 jars of baby food. Well, the squash alone was over $3 and so that worked out to be .60 and that doesn't even factor in the cost to run the oven for an hour, plus my time. However, if I use coupons and only buy when baby food goes on sale, I can get them for .40 or less a jar. Plus, they get a lot more variety that way.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Just a question about your applesauce...do you just freeze it in the babyfood jars, or do they actually seal properly? I'm experimenting with canning...but haven't tried baby jars yet.

Oh and...Great Deals!!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Mmmm applesauce, great deals.

Perfectly Provident makeupartist's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

That is very impressive!
    Life's Little Instructions: Think big thoughts but cherish simple pleasures, never refuse homemade brownies, remember other people's birthdays, floss your teeth, return all things you borrow and leave everything a little better than you found it.

Trading Score
    194 (100%)

wow nice finds!
    Want Amazon.ca or other gift cards? Join Swagbucks and Irazoo! $515 redeemed to date.

My blog: http://seapotato.blogspot.com/

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RobynCD View Post
    Just a question about your applesauce...do you just freeze it in the babyfood jars, or do they actually seal properly? I'm experimenting with canning...but haven't tried baby jars yet.

Oh and...Great Deals!!
    Thanks
    I've never tried canning baby food, it doesn't last long enough around here for me to worry about it.
    I freeze it right in the jars and take them out as I need them. When he was first starting baby food I used to freeze in ice cube trays and then pop the cubes out and store them in a freezer bag. At that point one cube was more than enough for him.

I use baby food jars for apple butter and freezer jam too.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I want those cookies on the counter.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rachel1496 View Post

The apples were close to spoiling so I turned them into 12 jars of applesauce for the baby (one's not pictured, he already ate it). Each jar cost only $0.08 to make but would have cost me $0.77 to buy so I saved another $8.28 by doing it myself.
    good idea, how long can home made apple sauce go before spoiling? you store it in the fridge?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NateandAva View Post
    Way to maximize your savings. Just so some are aware, most baby foods don't have preservatives in them and I have found that with smart shopping, I can actually buy the baby food for cheaper than making it. For example, I decided to make my daughter squash one day. I bought the squash and it had to bake in the oven for over an hour until it was soft enough to puree. Then I had to puree it all and in the end, I only ended up with something like the equivalent to 5 jars of baby food. Well, the squash alone was over $3 and so that worked out to be .60 and that doesn't even factor in the cost to run the oven for an hour, plus my time. However, if I use coupons and only buy when baby food goes on sale, I can get them for .40 or less a jar. Plus, they get a lot more variety that way.
    I totally found the same thing-far easier and cheaper to buy when you wait for sales and use coupons! Though I'm glad my little one is outta the baby food stage now!! heehee!
    Last edited by spanneen; Mon, Apr 27th, 2009 at 09:37 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm going to have to try freezing milk!

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mdutka View Post
    good idea, how long can home made apple sauce go before spoiling? you store it in the fridge?
    You can store it in the fridge or the freezer. I've got 2 in the fridge and the rest are in the freezer right now, once I use one from the fridge I replace it with one from the freezer. I've stored homemade applesauce in a large glass jar in the fridge for just under a week in the past and it was fine. The most important thing is to make sure it stays covered in an airtight container.

Trading Score
    422 (99%)

mm homemade cookies.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information