User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Petsmart Grooming

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

I actually have a complaint. I had an appointment at 3:00 pm today (Sunday April 26th) for 2 of my dogs to get groomed. Last Friday a girl from PetSmart called to confirm my appointment. I said I was wondering if I can bring my dogs in early because I have a lunch to got to and am not sure if i can make it by 3:00pm. She said not a problem as long as you are aware they will not be seen until their appointment at 3:00. I said no problem. Well today my husband brings the dogs in a couple minutes before 12:00pm. They were refused by the staff because it was too early. My husband explained to them we asked if it was ok to bring them in early and we were given the ok. The staff told my husband that 12:00 pm was too early because the dogs were not allowed to stay in the kennel for more than 5 hours. They would not be done until 6:00pm so they'd be in the kennel for 6 hours. The staff sent my husband home with the dogs. I called right after my husband left and spoke to the manager. I explained to her everything that happened and what the girl told me last Friday. She said it was a misunderstanding by my part. I got very angry at that point and said there is no misunderstand. She never told me the earliest time i could bring them in nor did she say they were only allowed in the kennel for 5 hours max. I said it was 12pm and they would be only in the kennel 3 hours seeing their appointment was at 3PM she said they were not allowed to hold the dogs longer than 5 hours. I asked why she didn't explain that to me and she said because she probably didn't think you'd bring the dogs in "that" early. I said well what time do you think lunch is?? and she said it's different for different people. I was upset and said there is no way to make it in time. She said if you don't make it by 3:30pm we'll have to cancel. I have been a regular customer for 5 years bringing my dogs in every 4-5 months. I will no longer be bringing my dogs to that grooming salon. Sorry if that was long. Thanks for letting me vent.
    This thread is currently associated with: PetSmart
    Last edited by Purple_Everything; Sun, Apr 26th, 2009 at 07:06 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    24 (96%)

I have used 2 different PerSmarts fro my dog's grooming and have been furious both times. I have the most mild manners dog, and the groomer we used before PetSmart moved and the woman we use now have NEVER had ANY problems with him. PetSmart muzzled him, charged me extra because it apparently took 3 girls to hold him for the grooming and both times he looked like crap! The second time we went to a different PetSmart thinking it might be different and told them to call us if they thought he was too hard to handle, or were going to muzzle him... they didn't bother AND they cut his nails so short that 4 were still bleeding when we got him back. Needless to say I blew a gasket and the manager didn't charge us the second time.

I HATE the groomers at PetSmart!

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by chelle_n View Post
    I have used 2 different PerSmarts fro my dog's grooming and have been furious both times. I have the most mild manners dog, and the groomer we used before PetSmart moved and the woman we use now have NEVER had ANY problems with him. PetSmart muzzled him, charged me extra because it apparently took 3 girls to hold him for the grooming and both times he looked like crap! The second time we went to a different PetSmart thinking it might be different and told them to call us if they thought he was too hard to handle, or were going to muzzle him... they didn't bother AND they cut his nails so short that 4 were still bleeding when we got him back. Needless to say I blew a gasket and the manager didn't charge us the second time.

I HATE the groomers at PetSmart!

OMG that's crazy!!!! Thanks for your input. I will definately not be going back!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Why ever would you want to leave your dogs in a crate, at the groomers for any longer than you have to? They have now where to for the dogs to go pee (groomers aren't allowed to take them out for fear they get loose or even worst , hurt). It is a loud environment , and stressful for most dogs. And I know you didn't specify how early your dogs were coming in, some people do eat lunch at 2:00 like me. Also it you had 5 good years there, I would assume, since you went back for that long. My groomer at PetSmart is excellent, knowledgable , does a perfect hair cut every time, and it's the only place (out of many, many, groom shops) , where all 3 of my dogs come home happy and relaxed. Maybe it's a different PetSmart? We go to the one on Eglington in Toronto.

Trading Score
    178 (100%)

I can't stand petsmart for grooming... I have an american cocker spaniel and they butchered his hair... he looked like a reindeer when he came home. I would never go back there.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I have only taken my dog to PetSmart once - for his first groom. It was an alright experience, but for the last 3 years I've just taken him to the groomer at his vet. I'm more comfortable with that - if something were to go wrong, at least he's in a place where there is a vet for immediate care.
    I'm always open to trading for pet product coupons (especially free products and high value coupons) - I donate these items to shelters and rescue groups.
    My motivation - My Dog. Read his story here: www.freewebs.com/michelle_and_dinglehopper

am1
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I brought my 3 year old shih-tzu into a Petsmart today in Ottawa to have her groomed. I've had one bad experience before where her nail was clipped very deeply, but this was not at Petsmart. I thought I would try Petsmart because I liked that they had a window where the groomers could be viewed. For some reason this made me feel more comfortable. I guess I assumed that bad things only happened behind closed doors. I got there a half an hour early because I wanted to view the groomer at work. I asked who was going to be grooming my dog then stepped outside and observed through the glass window. The groomer was just finishing another shih-tzu. The dog looked shaky, and had his tail between his legs, but this didn't put me off as I can imagine being up on a steel table isn't the most calming scenario. She finished the groom and attached a bow to the dogs collar then a manager came over to inspect the cut. This was when I little bell went off for me... I thought it was strange that someone be inspecting but again I had never been to Petsmarts grooming centre before so I told myself it must be standard practise... I have yet to find out as the incident I'm about to tell you just happened. Anyways I spoke with the groomer told her that my shih-tzu had a bad experience at the groomers before but that she was very sweet and under no circumstances would she bite or yelp. I just asked that she be gentle with her and try and comfort her as much as she could. She told me it would take about 3 hours and that they would call me when she was ready. She assured me that she was in good hands and not to worry. An hour later I received a phone call from the manager saying that my dog was okay but had been cut and was being transported to emergency at the local animal hospital. They asked if I wanted to meet them there and of course I agreed. I rushed over and waited 45 minutes for them to show up. They explained to me that when the groomer went to put my dog in the bath after shaving most of her body that's when she noticed blood all over her hands and found a laceration on her right flank (the extra skin bit where the leg bends) She told me that my dog didn't even yelp... so she thought that my dog wasn't in pain. Boy was she wrong. As most dog owners know, they have a high pain threshold and are also not big complainers. The manager and groomer were both very apologetic and at the time I accepted the situation. I told myself that accidents happen. Obviously this woman didn't intend to hurt my dog. She's only human and it could have happened to anyone.... The manager and groomer asked if I wanted them to stay, I told them no as I didn't feel like making small talk! They left their credit card number and told me that all expenses would be covered. The doctor then inspected my dog and told me that at the least she would need a few staples and worst case scenario she would need more serious surgery performed... after he shaved the area where the laceration was it became clear that it was much more serious than anyone had thought. it was about 2 inches long and pretty wide. The vet said the area had been SHREDDED! he needed to clip a piece of skin that was hanging by a thread. Then the laceration required 5 staples. Still my strong girl didn't make a sound. She had to be sedated given a shot of antibiotics and then of course the staples. We got home and that's when it happened, she began to cry. I had never heard her cry before so you can imagine how heart wrenching this was for me. I'm now sitting here with her at my side wrapped up in a sweater administering pain killers and wondering what I should do if anything to try and prevent this from happening ever again. I appreciate that petsmart is paying the vet bills, but this should have never happened in the first place. I'm thinking back to the inspection the manager made and wondering if this groomer was new... Should I be pressing the manager for something more than just covering the vet bills? I don't want this young girl fired but I also don't want her hurting another animal. was this carelessness? the fact that she didn't notice she had shredded my dogs skin until she lifted her up to bathe her?? why wasn't she paying more attention? I guess these are all questions I will ask the manager tomorrow when I assume they'll be making a follow up call. Anyways I just wanted to warn people of the potential dangers your pet faces when being groomed and because my google search returned so many 'Petsmart accidents' I'm starting to think that something more needs to be done.....

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

OMG I am speechless!!! I am sorry your baby went through that!! I never did go back to PetSmart. I found a private groomer. Good luck with that and hopefully your pup will heal fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by am1 View Post
    I brought my 3 year old shih-tzu into a Petsmart today in Ottawa to have her groomed. I've had one bad experience before where her nail was clipped very deeply, but this was not at Petsmart. I thought I would try Petsmart because I liked that they had a window where the groomers could be viewed. For some reason this made me feel more comfortable. I guess I assumed that bad things only happened behind closed doors. I got there a half an hour early because I wanted to view the groomer at work. I asked who was going to be grooming my dog then stepped outside and observed through the glass window. The groomer was just finishing another shih-tzu. The dog looked shaky, and had his tail between his legs, but this didn't put me off as I can imagine being up on a steel table isn't the most calming scenario. She finished the groom and attached a bow to the dogs collar then a manager came over to inspect the cut. This was when I little bell went off for me... I thought it was strange that someone be inspecting but again I had never been to Petsmarts grooming centre before so I told myself it must be standard practise... I have yet to find out as the incident I'm about to tell you just happened. Anyways I spoke with the groomer told her that my shih-tzu had a bad experience at the groomers before but that she was very sweet and under no circumstances would she bite or yelp. I just asked that she be gentle with her and try and comfort her as much as she could. She told me it would take about 3 hours and that they would call me when she was ready. She assured me that she was in good hands and not to worry. An hour later I received a phone call from the manager saying that my dog was okay but had been cut and was being transported to emergency at the local animal hospital. They asked if I wanted to meet them there and of course I agreed. I rushed over and waited 45 minutes for them to show up. They explained to me that when the groomer went to put my dog in the bath after shaving most of her body that's when she noticed blood all over her hands and found a laceration on her right flank (the extra skin bit where the leg bends) She told me that my dog didn't even yelp... so she thought that my dog wasn't in pain. Boy was she wrong. As most dog owners know, they have a high pain threshold and are also not big complainers. The manager and groomer were both very apologetic and at the time I accepted the situation. I told myself that accidents happen. Obviously this woman didn't intend to hurt my dog. She's only human and it could have happened to anyone.... The manager and groomer asked if I wanted them to stay, I told them no as I didn't feel like making small talk! They left their credit card number and told me that all expenses would be covered. The doctor then inspected my dog and told me that at the least she would need a few staples and worst case scenario she would need more serious surgery performed... after he shaved the area where the laceration was it became clear that it was much more serious than anyone had thought. it was about 2 inches long and pretty wide. The vet said the area had been SHREDDED! he needed to clip a piece of skin that was hanging by a thread. Then the laceration required 5 staples. Still my strong girl didn't make a sound. She had to be sedated given a shot of antibiotics and then of course the staples. We got home and that's when it happened, she began to cry. I had never heard her cry before so you can imagine how heart wrenching this was for me. I'm now sitting here with her at my side wrapped up in a sweater administering pain killers and wondering what I should do if anything to try and prevent this from happening ever again. I appreciate that petsmart is paying the vet bills, but this should have never happened in the first place. I'm thinking back to the inspection the manager made and wondering if this groomer was new... Should I be pressing the manager for something more than just covering the vet bills? I don't want this young girl fired but I also don't want her hurting another animal. was this carelessness? the fact that she didn't notice she had shredded my dogs skin until she lifted her up to bathe her?? why wasn't she paying more attention? I guess these are all questions I will ask the manager tomorrow when I assume they'll be making a follow up call. Anyways I just wanted to warn people of the potential dangers your pet faces when being groomed and because my google search returned so many 'Petsmart accidents' I'm starting to think that something more needs to be done.....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I think that finding a good groomer is like finding a good hairdresser. It's not necessarily the "salon name" that counts. People follow their hairdressers from one salon to another, to another over the years. We have used PetSmart in Surrey for our dog and they have been absolutely fantastic. We have not asked them if we could bring our dog in early, but if I were to ask the question I would certainly explain clearly that I meant 3 hours. That is very early and probably not a typical request.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Purple, if you're in Edmonton, try BowWow Groomers. Nice ladies and the Elkhound loved it there. Definitely four paws up service.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

i used to bring my dogs to petsmart and had a few bad experience there. I ended up buying a grooming kit and have been cutting my dogs' hair and nails etc. since.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

oh my gosh Purdee, your furkids are so cute!! Op, I am so very sorry to heaR ABOUT YOUR DOG tHAT BREAKS MY HEART WHEN i HEAR A ANIMAL IS CRYING AND IN PAIN. oops sorry, caps got hit lol. Please keep us updated.
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pippinelkhound View Post
    Purple, if you're in Edmonton, try BowWow Groomers. Nice ladies and the Elkhound loved it there. Definitely four paws up service.
    Thanks I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    i used to bring my dogs to petsmart and had a few bad experience there. I ended up buying a grooming kit and have been cutting my dogs' hair and nails etc. since.
    Are you good??? I'll pay you!! lol

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never brought my dog to PetSmart Groomers but as I was watching one time through the window the lady was starting to shake a dog I guess to get him to calm down. I knocked on the glass and she stopped but its just something you don't forget.

For the story above it sounds like it was a really scary situation. I would be a complete wreck if I found out something like that happened. Even when my dog has a cold I am completely stressed and in panic mode, but a deep laceration like that would send me over the edge.

I agree with the idea of doing research and finding a really good groomer. Once you find one that you like you will never try another place.
    Last edited by Snow Queen; Fri, Dec 31st, 2010 at 10:43 PM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I brought my dog in there a few weeks after having emergency care and 'sleepovers' at the vet. We almost lost him a couple times.
    We brough him there to get shaved (they had to shave certain parts at the vet, so we wanted it to be even) and well, he's a pomeranian, so when he came out all shaved the first think I said was 'oh my gosh you look like a rat !" but in a good way, not upset. The ladies there all started getting mad at me, that he 'understands' and i'm 'going to kill his self confidence'. Hun, he's a pomeranian with no fur, THAT killed his confidence, not me telling him he looks like a rat. Either way, they were rough with him when picking him up (he was also only 6 months).
    If you're in the Ottawa area, go to Montreal Road Animal Hospital, they have a vet there and she's AWESOME with him
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information