User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Your son isn't a Dora fan by any chance, is he?

Z
    ahahaha just a little yes. In fact I just heard him yell "MAP!" from the living room. LOL ...

He loves his leash I am so happy. I did get a few looks - mostly ones of amusement ... but then i also got a few "wow why didn't i ever think of that with MY kid!?"

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I used to think harnesses were cruel too. Even after I had my son I used to think that parents must be doing something wrong. My little angel would never do anything. I thought these parents were just nuts. Then I had my daughter and boy was she ever a wake up call. She's a runner (and screamer, biter, kicker, you name it!). My husband is still against these things, but I always tell him that if we didn't do EVERYTHING to protect her and something happened, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I found this one (although I didn't buy it). It looks great and can come in multicolours. I suggest it to the parents of the dev delayed kids I work with all the time. It can even be used in strollers and restaurant high chairs!

http://www.childharness.ca/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    if we didn't do EVERYTHING to protect her and something happened, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.
    thats exactly our frame of mind. we are very over protective with our kids but i would rather be over protective and nothing happens than under protective and something terrible happens that i could have prevented. having said that, in a relatively safe environment (where he wont die or get permanently injured) i let my son cut loose and he has the battle scars already to prove it!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

We had the monkey backpack leash. I bought it after my 18 month old broke away from me in a parking lot while I was getting my 3 month old into the car. Winter, heavy car seat carrier, diaper bag, toddler; I just didn't have enough appendages to keep everyone safe. Never got any dirty looks because the monkey was so cute, but wished I'd had an old fashioned leather harness instead as the monkey was so bulky. A leather one could have been worn in the car, and just clipped the leash on when we got out - trying to get in and out of the car with the two of them was when I really could have used it the most.
    Both kids loved going for a walk on it though, they feel so much more independent than when holding hands.

I never quite understood why people find them so offensive. If I had a dog I would put it on a leash to protect it from being lost or injured. I think I should be at least as diligent about the safety of my children as I would be with a dog.
    Last edited by Maple; Tue, May 19th, 2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I used the leather harness one when my brood were toddlers. Got some evil looks, but hey, it wasn't my boys that knocked over the little old lady and broke her hip. (Saw it happen in Calgary, toddler knocked over lol, paramedics, the whole thing).

It's so accepted in some cultures that not harnessing is commented on.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Funny, we just had a discussion about this on a parenting group I frequent. One poster had a 2 and a half year old who wouldn't listen, would run away at the drop of a hat, but the mom was concerned about getting 'stares and whispers.'

My response was, just wait till you're giving your three year old a time out in a crowded grocery store while he screams bloody murder! You learn to ignore the stares and whispers, who the hell cares anyhow? You're keeping your child safe!

I have a monkey backpack too, you just reminded me I need to put it on Kijiji! My three year old is a bit too big for it now, and listens quite well when i bellow at him to STOP!

Z

coupon-holic
    Trading Score
    304 (100%)

I got the doggie backpack..since my son is really into dogs and it'll work for my daughter later on. Used to get stares too....but hey, if it'll keep him safe, i'd use it. My son HATES the stroller and he's never been much of a sitter...so the backpack keeps him at a safe distance while i'm pushing the stroller with my daughter.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I have a soon to be 4 year old.
    He is a runner too, but all i have to say is GOODBYE and he freezes. He knows he can only go so far.
    Also people know him and who he "belongs" to. So if someone tried to snatch him...that person would not get far at all.
    I don't live in a small village or anything...it's just that we go to pretty much the same places.
    When we are in a new location he only ventures the furthest about an arms length.

I am NOT against the leash. More power to you for using one if need be.

")

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Zonny, let me know if you get any takers on kijiji and how much you get for it. I need to list mine as well. My three year old still takes off, but it doesn't fit her anymore.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I think the time has passed where people think it's cruel. Especially since there are cute ones now.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Weve never used one but Zach got away from me at the disney on ice show and i could just grab him by his hood and some old bitty accused me of choking him.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Weve never used one but Zach got away from me at the disney on ice show and i could just grab him by his hood and some old bitty accused me of choking him.
    wow yeah instead you should have let him run off and lost him in the crowd.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Personally I would never buy one and think their disgusting. It's like treating a child like a dog..but to each their own...and toddlers do tend to run around and if someone doesn't have the energy to chase after them then they shouldn't be having kids...way too many people who are too old to be having children are popping them out and have no energy to chase after them
    Last edited by liltiggy23; Wed, May 20th, 2009 at 03:41 PM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

when I had my kids, I thought those baby leashes were ridiculous and parents should have good control of their kids as to not need them, as my kids were well behaved and I always held their hand or had them in a stroller...
    However, I think now (10years later) they ARE good for keeping kids by you, especially with "creepers"as my kids refer to them as (creeps/pedophiles/weirdos) around. And I like the little monkey, if they made them that cute when I had kids, I probably would have considered getting one too. Very cute!
    Last edited by Litesandsirens911; Wed, May 20th, 2009 at 03:41 PM.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by liltiggy23 View Post
    Personally I would never buy one and think their disgusting. It's like treating a child like a dog..but to each their own
    Would you prefer to see my child screaming, crying hysterically and hurting himself trying so desperately to get out of his stroller? or should i just leave him at home any time i go out?
    Last edited by itsjustmebub; Wed, May 20th, 2009 at 03:43 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information