User Tag List

Thread: eBook Readers?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone have an eBook reader? If so:
    1. What kind is it?
    2. What formats does it support?
    3. How is the battery life / memory / backlighting / weight / etc?
    4. How much did it cost?

I really, really, really want one of these, but it seems like there's a bunch of them on the market and no clear winner. Obviously the Kindle is out (US-only. I know you can "trick" it but I don't think it's worth the price without the added functionality), but the beBooks look pretty nice.

Ideally, I'd like something with a sturdy case/cover (so I can put it in my purse), light enough to be able to read in bed, and able to support lots of formats but especially .pdf and .lit. I don't care if it goes online, since I'd just be loading it up from usb. Cheaper is better for my situation right now, but if the best are most expensive I'd rather save up and get an awesome product later than buy something crummy now.
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can't answer your specific questions, but I would volunteer this though:

Specialized devices like eBook readers tend to be a bit of a fad. Tech fads tend to dry up quickly, and subsequently so does available support. Most of them have only the function of reading document files, so there is little use for them otherwise.

If you want portability with more uses, something like a netbook might be your solution. You would be able to easily install eBook reading software to it, as well as directly download new book files.

Just my two cents.

Linux Registered User #426194

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have Sony Reader PRS-505, it supports pdf, Sony's own format and some more other format. The battery is awesome, one charge lasts 2 weeks or more for moderate reading (I do 100-200 pages a day). Price is C$349 from Sony style, there are better prices else where...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a Sony PRS-505 and love it. There is a website that has lots of info about the different readers ..Here is the link -

http://www.mobileread.com/

that is a great site.

I use a program called calibre that I got from mobileread and use that to convert my books to a format that the sony can understand. Thats only if they are not already in that format.

Plus on mobile read thee is lots of free books that are no longer copyrighted formatted already for various readers.
    Hope this helps.

For here in canada the Sony Reader is the best buy and the PRS-505 is the best reader.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sony has one shortcome though, the screen isn't big, so if you read lots of pdf, especially tech docs in pdf, it isn't good enough.

Thread Information