User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I had one cashier at our local Extra Foods tell me that they get in trouble when they put a coupon through on a clearance item, so she wouldn't let me use a $5 coupon on a $5.95 marked down fusion razor. I was not impressed but didn't bother purchasing the item either. She said to talk to the managers (which I haven't bothered, I hate our local EF anyways) but that's what the cashiers were told. I haven't checked the coupon policy for EF, I imagine it'll be on their website?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I never have a problem using my coupons either. I wonder if it is because I am usually there in the of the middle of the day, when it is less busy and because I have my two little kids with me?so

I haven't tried the print your own coupons though.

Interesting stuff!
    Meredith
    http://stockingthelarder.blogspot.com/
    Filling my Cupboards on a Budget

Allergic to Stupidity
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I make sure to go over the coupon with the cashier if there's any question about it. If she's rude, or acts like I'm trying to steal something, I'll confront her on it - I've been known to ask straight out "are you accusing me of something?" I then ask her name & insist she call over her duty supervisor/manager immediately. Then again, I'm totally fine with confrontations, and I refuse to let them treat me like I'm a thief, just because I'm smart enough to save my hard-earned cash by using coupons.
    Granted, my in-your-face, fix-this-now approach isn't for everyone, but I work too hard for my money to get attitude from some button-pushing cashier when I'm making a legitimate purchase.
    However, I rarely leave the store with my issues unresolved - and when I do, I contact the store's head office & lodge a complaint against the employees/managers.
    Then again, I firmly believe the adage "the customer is always right" - after all, if it wasn't for us spending our money at these stores, they wouldn't be in business, would they? It's in their best interests to keep their customers happy.
    Better to remain silent & be thought a fool than to open your mouth & confirm it.
    $15 Paypal, $100 Amazon since July, and counting! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Kaldirris

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I simply enquire as to the empowerment abilities of the cashier and suggest he/she get a management type to come to the cash and explain the cashier policy versus the store policy versus the chains policy.
    Currently this torments my local SDM, who has a standing limit of 4 on sale items, will not take coupons that exceed the sale price, will not take coupons from anyone under 18 but will take cash.
    This request also torments the local price chopper, the local walmart, with certain cashiers.
    Have not yet run into any 'shareholder' cashiers at A&P, Sobeys, or Zellers.

So back to the main event,,,,once the supervisor or manager shows up....I win some, I lose some. I do not get angry, I do not care about the line behind me. I simply ask for a written document on their policy. It is ususally enough to get what I believe I am asking for (redemption of coupon).
    The cashier does not have a document or memo so this takes care of him/her.
    The supervisor does not have a document or memo so I am looking for a manager.
    The manager has yet to produce a doc that is local, it is always something from the reqional office. Save.ca is losing the war for coupon redemption.
    When the manager says no to the redemption but does not produce written store policy, then I get names and send a letter to head office...
    The 3 times I lost at the cash, wrote letter to 2 chains, received sorry letter and gift card for value of coupons denied twice.

Not worth fighting over internet coupons or save.ca coupons at the stores.

My next exchange of logic and rational is going to be over a envelope of coupons from the late 90's. None of them is high value, they all range from .25 to .50 off but do not have an expire date. most state NO EXPIRY DATE. The redemption address is in Canada but not Saint John.
    And yes when I use them I will be looking the 'shareholder' cashier's line.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I shop weekdays, during the day, or in the evening after dinner when there are not too many customers. Cashiers are less stressed out and coupons go over without a beat.

My biggest issue is with customers behind me that roll their eyes. I usually have a few "might use" coupons lying around and reward the nice, patient ones with a coupon for an item in their basket.

I also do the same thing with circling the expiry dates.

Trading Score
    96 (100%)

yelland scream at them lol jk. i do get mad though and then complain to head office.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A lot of rudeness comes from ignorance (cashiers lacking basic coupon knowledge).

Trading Score
    161 (100%)

For me it's gotten to the point that I keep all my receipts with me and write down on them who it was that okayed certain things.....That way if the issue gets brought up I can say here is my receipt from last time and this is the manager that said it is ok.....They try and say crap like they have to go by the store policy, but isn't it funny that the policy magicly changes everytime we go.......I used to get all my shopping done in one shot with all my coupons but withh all the hassles lately I've been doing multiple trips which isn't easy with three kids.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Wow now i'm affraid to start using coupons again. Where can i find stores coupon policies? are save.ca coupons typically denied?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For the most part I don't have major issues with coupons. I stay away from "printed" ones cause I know people have had issues and I don't use a lot of coupons at a time. Some cashier read every coupon but its worth the savings.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

It's worth a shot, what's the worst that happens they don't accept the coupon and you tell them that you don't want the product then? Try another store if you really care that much. That's what I do. And ya, try and stay away from the printed variety, those are the usual culprits.

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

It's always a little off-putting and I actually just had this yesterday. Once the cashier made a remark to me and then told me the manager was "busy" I left my product there.

I do know that other stores will take the coupon so I don't give up. It is discouraging - trust me - but you can't let it be. I've saved almost $150 in just a month using SC. I also think they're just jealous.

The only thing I haven't done (because it hasn't happened that often for me to) is complain...although I came close yesterday.
    "Call it magic, call it true/I call it magic when I'm with you" - Coldplay, Magic

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have never had issues with using coupons - But just a bit of a side on this issue - A lot of the sales receipts have a web site on the bottom of them where you can log into and do a short survey on the store you have shopped at as well as the teller in question - everytime you log on and fill in the survey you are entered in a draw -(ususally a chance at a $$$ shopping spree) hey so why not complain - let the reputation of the said retailer rest in your hands and not allow cashiers to be quite so judemental

Being Polite Is Very Easy WandaJean's Avatar
    Trading Score
    31 (97%)

So far I have been lucky with using my coupons...only once was a manager called by the cashier..at No Frills when I used my Olay buy 3 save 10.00 coupon...the manager had to override it.
    I suggest if a coupon is valued higher than the actual price of the item...tell the cashier to get a manager to overide it.Simple...yes?
    Thank You SC'rs for all the contests/samples/freebies, etc. that you post.
    Join Swagbucks today! Get those freebies!!!http://www.swagbucks.com/<WBR>refer/WandaJean $725.00 aprx of freebies From Amazon...I love Free

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by WandaJean View Post
    So far I have been lucky with using my coupons...only once was a manager called by the cashier..at No Frills when I used my Olay buy 3 save 10.00 coupon...the manager had to override it.
    I suggest if a coupon is valued higher than the actual price of the item...tell the cashier to get a manager to overide it.Simple...yes?
    The manager always has to do an override on the Olay $10 WUB3 coupon at No Frills, but if they enter it was $9.99 they dont so if I get bored waiting I usually have it entered as $9.99
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information