User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: where to pierce babies ears?

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Katyana08 View Post
    Now does anyone know if they make completely non-toxic, washable stick on tattoos for babies because I would LOVE to scare my mom after a trip to the tattoo parlour! haha. Poor woman would faint to see her infant granddaughter with a barb wire arm band tattoo.
    oh man, that is hilarious

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Monique.b View Post
    I spent a few years working for a company that specializes in piercing jewelry. I used to have some hardware myself I have an obscure opinion on this subject and I am sure a lot of people disagree with me, but I'll throw my two cents in.

I would like to suggest that instead of having her ears pierced with a pair of studs in a piercing gun, spend the extra money and take her to a piercing shop. The difference is this: a piercing done in a piercing shop will be done with a very fine, hollow needle. Then as the needle is pulled through, a hoop is fed into the back of it, and then the hoop is closed with a ball. It's called a Bead Captive Ring or BCR. The sharp needle hurts less than the gun, and doesn't punch a hole, it cuts one. Because you can give the hoop a complete rotation, you can keep it cleaner, and it's MUCH less likely to get infected. If your concerned about your little one pulling on the hoop, it can be fitted small enough that it just fits around her lobe. Also, the bead does not come out without a special tool, so there's no chance she'll get it open.

I think most of us had our ears pierced by a girl at the mall, with a piercing gun and turned out fine. But the studs have to be blunt enough to sit in your ears for 6 weeks, so they aren't THAT sharp. You're really just jamming something through the skin. It's rougher than it needs to be.

I hate to say it, but stores like Claire's churn through staff like crazy and heaven only knows if you're squirmy little one is going to be pierced by someone in training. The scary tattoo shop, on the other hand.... has someone who lives and breathes piercing. And gets visits from a health inspector.

Preferably you could get two piercers to do both ears at the same time. I used to have two piercings in my tongue (it was the style at the time, I swear!), and when it was done, the first one didn't hurt, but when he did the second hole, it was much worse. Adrenaline wears off in that few seconds that they line up the second hole. Realistically it's going to take more than a few seconds with an itty bitty.

Alright, that's all I have to say about that. When my little girl's turn comes, she's going to see a burly dude covered in tattoos and I'll pay the extra money to get it done the best, most hygienic way possible.
    thats how I wanted to get my second ones done but my parents refused to take me to a decent place and said they would only let me get them done if my aunt did them at the mall

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Just an update: DH said big NO to the ear piercing I was really getting excited but oh well.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

hello,
    I have just been looking for the baby ear piercing info when I run across this thread. I agree with Monique about the studio being better. My problem now is whether anyone knows which would be a good piercing studio in Calgary that would do baby ears?
    Thanks

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

OMG!!! PLEASE DO NOT SEND THEM TO ARDENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I worked there about 10 years ago. They didnt even train me how to do it or let me watch them do it before they told me to pierce some childs ear. I was like "NO WAY!" It's usually run by or employs a bunch of teens who dont really care. They could end up crooked or worse infected if they dont sanitize the equiptment propery.

I've heard good things about Carol Baker Visage. But I too agree with Monique. I would ask if someone at a piercing/tattoo shop would do it. If I were to do my ears again thats where I would go.

Trading Score
    141 (100%)

I spent a few years working for a company that specializes in piercing jewelry. I used to have some hardware myself I have an obscure opinion on this subject and I am sure a lot of people disagree with me, but I'll throw my two cents in.

I would like to suggest that instead of having her ears pierced with a pair of studs in a piercing gun, spend the extra money and take her to a piercing shop. The difference is this: a piercing done in a piercing shop will be done with a very fine, hollow needle. Then as the needle is pulled through, a hoop is fed into the back of it, and then the hoop is closed with a ball. It's called a Bead Captive Ring or BCR. The sharp needle hurts less than the gun, and doesn't punch a hole, it cuts one. Because you can give the hoop a complete rotation, you can keep it cleaner, and it's MUCH less likely to get infected. If your concerned about your little one pulling on the hoop, it can be fitted small enough that it just fits around her lobe. Also, the bead does not come out without a special tool, so there's no chance she'll get it open.

I think most of us had our ears pierced by a girl at the mall, with a piercing gun and turned out fine. But the studs have to be blunt enough to sit in your ears for 6 weeks, so they aren't THAT sharp. You're really just jamming something through the skin. It's rougher than it needs to be.

I hate to say it, but stores like Claire's churn through staff like crazy and heaven only knows if you're squirmy little one is going to be pierced by someone in training. The scary tattoo shop, on the other hand.... has someone who lives and breathes piercing. And gets visits from a health inspector.

Preferably you could get two piercers to do both ears at the same time. I used to have two piercings in my tongue (it was the style at the time, I swear!), and when it was done, the first one didn't hurt, but when he did the second hole, it was much worse. Adrenaline wears off in that few seconds that they line up the second hole. Realistically it's going to take more than a few seconds with an itty bitty.

Alright, that's all I have to say about that. When my little girl's turn comes, she's going to see a burly dude covered in tattoos and I'll pay the extra money to get it done the best, most hygienic way possible.
    Bumping, cause this is the best advice I could find anywhere on the net about getting babies ears pierced!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I COMPLETELY agree!!!

One reason is because I've gotten piercings at both claire's and a piercing studio. At the actual piercing shop it was much less painful!

But also because I've worked at Claire's and know how much training staff get (hardly any). I was expected to pierce baby ears after ONE "training" ear piercing (that I did on my sister). I was much too terrified to pierce a baby, so I refused!

There is NO WAY I would take my DD to any type of Claire's/Ardene's. Only because I know the majority are not properly trained - Employes are told to tell people they have done it tons of times, even if its their first time!!!

I do plan to get my DD's ear done at a piercing studio though, just haven't had the time & money together at the same time to do it. Hoping to get them done soon though. I HATE when people call her a boy even though still wears all pink. But thats another story....

HTH

Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Tue, Jan 12th, 2010 at 02:58 PM.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

I got all of my piercings done at a tattoo/piercing studio ( and i do have a lot!). I have had my left ear re-pierced..like 7 times? mostly cause I forget to wear earnings and then the holes close. I dont know why I bother getting it done again. The ladies in the mall scare me..I am sure they know what they are doing..( or not)..just wouldnt trust them with my face or ears.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I just got my navel done in a studio and other then the fact that I have a ton of stomach muscle, no fat and thick skin it took a long time for them to get the needle and jewellery fed through and she had to use forceps to finally get everything finished...then told me she didnt recommend anymore navel piercings because it was so difficult and that I was the first one she has ever had that was THAT difficult... but it wasnt that painful just more uncomfy with all the pressure and everything...

My ears the first set were done by a lady in a hair place and the second ones were done by my aunt who worked at Ardenes because my mom wouldnt allow me to go to a tattoo place to get them done properly and well I was young and dumb and really wanted them done so I went and had them done where she approved of...I had a lot of problems with my second ones they were infected forever and I tried everything to clear them up before finally giving up and taking the ones they pierced them with out and put in sterling silver ones and they completely healed apparently I was allergic to the jewellery they use even though it says safe for baby ears blah blah blah...

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

My navel was a total pain...took months and months to heal . Upper ear cartilage piercings are also supposed to take a while to heal....I didnt have problems with that though.
    Piercings get to be very addicting after a while..me atleast..just have to keep going back for more and more..

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

LOL well they told me it might be a big pain...Im just worried about rejection thats my biggest worry especially after how long and how much effort that was put into piercing it! Though my friends are all saying that mine looks better then theres did three days in so idk guess I wait and see

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    23 (100%)

It's been suggested to me to take my baby to a piercing parlour to get her ears pierced too. And though I have no problems with piercing parlours since I have a few body piercings, I am a little nervous about bringing a baby there. She's only 6 months old. I know they're experts and everything is more sanitized than, say, a mall - BUT - I'm nervous about having a needle placed so close to my baby's head. What if she jerks her head around and hits the needle? It's that fear that's preventing me from taking her. I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way or is it just me? I would like her to get her ears pierced either now because she's young enough to not fuss with the earrings or when she's a older, like 10, when she can decide on her own.

Trading Score
    343 (100%)

Another plus to add to the piercing/tattoo parlour's side is that it is MUCH easier to sleep with little hoops in vs. piercing studs with backings. I still remember them poking me all night long & it hurting the worst just after I'd had them pierced. The holes I had done at the piercing parlour didn't hurt at all when I slept since they were hoops

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I also think its less trauma if you have the needle rather then the gun...I can remember my ears burning for like the first week when I showered the holes would burn like no other and would turn beat red around the jewellery so was afraid of the same with my navel but first night I showered it didnt even hurt at all and I was expecting the burning like my ears

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

personally i can't see why anyone would want to pierce an infants ears. i don't think it looks cute, i think it looks rediculous. and why hurt them for sumthing so unnecessary? its' bad enuf when we have to take them in for their vaccinations.

will you be my friend? please? http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=298463

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information