User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 10 Things To Buy In The Next 60 Days To Save You Money

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

10 Things To Buy In The Next 60 Days To Save You Money

1. Butter - It might as well be gold in our kitchen, but at prices hovering around $4 a box for most of the year, it's just ridiculous to not purchase it on sale during the holidays. You'll see the price go down at major chain grocers to around the $1.99 mark and since it freezes nicely, you're all set. Don't be afraid to just ask for a case. Your local dairy stocker will thank you.
    2. Crackers - Although you can absolutely make crackers on your own, when it comes to entertaining, it might not be at the top of your list if they're just put out for a snack instead of a large feature of the meal. Look for sales on snack crackers or saltines; they have been known to bottom out between $0.75-$1.00 per box!
    3. Poultry - Even if you have your fair share of turkey over the next several months, that doesn't mean it stopped being an inexpensive food choice during the next few months. Chicken and those cute little Cornish hens will be on sale with turkey, and although prices are great the week before a holiday, the weeks following will see even better price points. Stores need to empty their freezers to make room for new product and you'll see things go down to $.40/lb! Again, freeze for winter stews and quick meals.
    4. Sugar - Although sugar is a pantry baking staple, it's not really all that cheap. Look for it to take $1-$2 price cut, with brown sugar and powdered sugar taking the largest price dip. (Sale prices often mean that customers are limited to one or two per purchase, but there's no shame in making 10 purchases in a row. Just add a pack of gum or another grocery item to each one and your sad-eyed cashier might be willing to combine them all into one transaction!)
    5. Frozen Vegetables - While most of us are busy planning to roast trays of winter vegetables, it doesn't mean that the bagged industry isn't vying for your dollar as well. Through the year you'll see sale prices as low as $1.00/bag, but through the holidays that number can drop by a solid quarter or two! We like to stock up on frozen peas (which are nearly as good as fresh, depending on the brand) and spinach for quick stir-fries.
    6. Bacon - Usually hanging around between $2.50-$6.00 price range, bacon has been known to drop to $1.50 a pack. Since it freezes like a champ, it's a great item to stock up on to have around for more than just breakfast.
    7. Oil - Although we don't really go through a great deal of oil, since we've started making most of our cupcakes vegan (they're really that good) we go through more than we used to. Aside from that, frying up a batch of homemade onion rings or buffalo wings is always a plus, but the oil to fry it in can be more expensive than the actual food itself! Check grocery stores as well as hardware stores (where they sell turkey fryers) for ridiculously great deals on oil. Get a gallon for $20 instead of $30-35!
    8. Nuts - Our favorite on-the-go source of protein that packs some serious snack potential is nuts. They're rather pricey most other times through the year, but you can find them at reduced prices at bulk retailers and grocery stores. Look for containers of "holiday nut varieties" and keep them in a cool dark place in your pantry away from light or heat and they'll easily last an entire year.
    9. Plastics, Foils, Papers, Storage Containers - Although we strive to be as eco-friendly in the kitchen as time and money allows, many kitchen staples such as plastic bags or wrap and parchment paper or aluminum foil (even reusable containers!) all go on sale for super low prices. If that's something you household uses, stocking up now will save you cash throughout the entire year!
    10. Cupcake Liners - Although we're still fans of cutting our own liners from parchment paper, that might seem like one step too many for some. Cupcake liners normally hover around the $2.75-$3.00 range and although that's ok for a random muffin session, if you'll be baking cupcakes for a large engagement such as a wedding or birthday blow out, buying them now can save you pennies that could otherwise be spent elsewhere!
    Additionally: Along with this list you'll find most things in the baking aisle on sale at some point in the season and although boxed pudding or cake mixes aren't as tasty as the real thing, it never hurts to have one or two floating around your pantry. Also, things like dried fruits hop on sale as do chocolate chips and other cookie mix-ins!
    It's an US-base blog, but good as reference. Anything you'd like to add?
    This thread is currently associated with: Cake Beauty, Staples
    wendymac likes this.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Thanks for the heads up. It was interesting reading.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/PinkSapphire. Click to get FREE Giftcards just for searching the web. It is so easy.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks for the post!

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

Good job!
    Thanks!

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

that was a nice read! thanks for posting! good ideas and reminders!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Loved the tips, great pointers!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks! Some of these were American prices. I wish frozen veggies would go down to $1 a bag. I ended up buying veggies on sale during the Summer and Fall though and freezing them myself.
    I always buy a couple of extra turkeys at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Frozen turkeys go down to $1 per pound They can be cooked and frozen so you have precooked meat for salads, sandwiches, etc. or they can safely be partially dethawed, cut up into smaller pieces and put back in the freezer. Use them instead of chicken throughout the year.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

great tips!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Thanks for the great post!

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Good tips. Does anyone have a good enough idea of sale prices for these goods in Canada? I'm working on getting a good idea of what's a fair, good, and excellent price for staples. For example, today I took the trek to RCSS because they had 10kg of flour for $5.99 and I bake a lot. I also bought several 1kg bags of sugar at Sobeys the other week but wasn't sure if that was really that good of a deal. Any references would be helpful.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kschott View Post
    Good tips. Does anyone have a good enough idea of sale prices for these goods in Canada? I'm working on getting a good idea of what's a fair, good, and excellent price for staples. For example, today I took the trek to RCSS because they had 10kg of flour for $5.99 and I bake a lot. I also bought several 1kg bags of sugar at Sobeys the other week but wasn't sure if that was really that good of a deal. Any references would be helpful.
    That's a good price for flour. Shopper's Drug Mart seems to have the best prices on white sugar. I bought 2kg bags for 1.50 this summer and they have it on sale for 2/2.49 next week.

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

thanks for the post..I try to stock up when I can. Prices I'm sure will continue to rise in the new year.
    LF: Colgate Toothpaste $1.50, Huggies & Pampers Coupons

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Speaking of cupcake liners, I got a package of 90 today for 69cents at Giant Tiger. Typically I get a package of 100 at Dollarama for $1 so I'm going to go back and get more since it's such a good price. I can't imagine making my own cupcake liners since I go through about 24 every 3 or 4 weeks. I'll be sure to look out for the other sales she mentioned though.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Great post!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Enjoyed that post.. thank you for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information