User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    freebie shopoholic
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sampler View Post
    how much internet is used up by doing this method? (i wouldnt want to go over data...)
    Internet used which is your bandwidth using VOIP is very insignificant. That shouldn't be your concern at all, even if you have 20GB or 30GB which is very little for total bandwidth usage per month. These days, most plans are 60 and up. When you use VOIP, you download data (voice you hear) and upload data (your voice as heard by the person you're talking to). Most plans that I know of, has pretty good download speed, so that shouldn't be an issue. The more important thing you need to know is your actual upload speed. You can't really rely on what your service provider promises since 10 out of 10 times, you will not reach it's promised speed, actually not even remotely close to it. But, having a better speed plan will probably be a good idea, since your speed you'll get is all relative, in other words, if there's 2 plans, A and B. Plan A has better speed than Plan B, even though you will not reach what either plan promise, Plan A will give you relatively better speed than B. Upload is usually the problem when dealing with VOIP. (the person you're talking to will hear bad connection from you, but you'll probably hear them very clear) That's because the upload speed are usually much much less than download speed. I found this true for Teksavvy and Rogers (especially if you engage in lots of downloads during a call. Rogers tend to throttle, meaning make your speed much much slower, which is already not great to begin with since you never reach their promised potential) For those who want to try VOIP (I think EVERYONE should. I don't understand why anyone would still want to pay an arm and leg for the major landlines), go for it. Try it with your existing internet plan. If your connection is not good enough, just upgrade to a better plan. The little money you spend in upgrading to a better plan will be paid for and more from the money you'll save from using a VOIP phone. Most VOIP companies comes with a lot of cool features. It's just like a regular phone, you can't tell the difference, and no, you don't need to make phone calls from a computer. One of the best features for my VOIP company is that it includes a "softphone" feature. What it means is that on top of having a regular line at home, you can also install this softphone on your computer/laptop. When I travel or away for an extended period of time, I can use this softphone on the computer to recieve and make phone calls as though I'm still in Toronto. There's so many cool features to list. I also like the fact that my mom in California can make long distance calls to other countries using my phonelines in Toronto (Again using her regular telephone) for practically free (I get 1 free hour per month for almost anywhere in the world, and after that, a few cents a minute). I'd be glad to answer any questions if anyone needs further clarifications.
    Last edited by lisalovlee33; Mon, Feb 20th, 2012 at 02:48 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Bump...there is a wagjag deal for this on now....anyone have any current comments? I'm thinking of switching....

j

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

magic jack, and other products are scams, they all use your internet signal just like call centers from india do (thats how they are able to go through the phonebook without it costing them anything)

there is a way you can just use your computer/internet for phonecalls without having to pay magic jack or whoever etc etc

but i cant be bothered.

Trading Score
    30 (89%)

I live in a rural area and I have checked alot of these companies...i have heard that the sound quality is poor and over all service is not good...could somebody recommend the best one...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jezz View Post
    Bump...there is a wagjag deal for this on now....anyone have any current comments? I'm thinking of switching....

j

I will be switching and using my telus $10 credit too. $39 even better.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lisalovlee33 View Post
    Internet used which is your bandwidth using VOIP is very insignificant. That shouldn't be your concern at all, even if you have 20GB or 30GB which is very little for total bandwidth usage per month. These days, most plans are 60 and up. When you use VOIP, you download data (voice you hear) and upload data (your voice as heard by the person you're talking to). Most plans that I know of, has pretty good download speed, so that shouldn't be an issue. The more important thing you need to know is your actual upload speed. You can't really rely on what your service provider promises since 10 out of 10 times, you will not reach it's promised speed, actually not even remotely close to it. But, having a better speed plan will probably be a good idea, since your speed you'll get is all relative, in other words, if there's 2 plans, A and B. Plan A has better speed than Plan B, even though you will not reach what either plan promise, Plan A will give you relatively better speed than B. Upload is usually the problem when dealing with VOIP. (the person you're talking to will hear bad connection from you, but you'll probably hear them very clear) That's because the upload speed are usually much much less than download speed. I found this true for Teksavvy and Rogers (especially if you engage in lots of downloads during a call. Rogers tend to throttle, meaning make your speed much much slower, which is already not great to begin with since you never reach their promised potential) For those who want to try VOIP (I think EVERYONE should. I don't understand why anyone would still want to pay an arm and leg for the major landlines), go for it. Try it with your existing internet plan. If your connection is not good enough, just upgrade to a better plan. The little money you spend in upgrading to a better plan will be paid for and more from the money you'll save from using a VOIP phone. Most VOIP companies comes with a lot of cool features. It's just like a regular phone, you can't tell the difference, and no, you don't need to make phone calls from a computer. One of the best features for my VOIP company is that it includes a "softphone" feature. What it means is that on top of having a regular line at home, you can also install this softphone on your computer/laptop. When I travel or away for an extended period of time, I can use this softphone on the computer to recieve and make phone calls as though I'm still in Toronto. There's so many cool features to list. I also like the fact that my mom in California can make long distance calls to other countries using my phonelines in Toronto (Again using her regular telephone) for practically free (I get 1 free hour per month for almost anywhere in the world, and after that, a few cents a minute). I'd be glad to answer any questions if anyone needs further clarifications.
    I am currently w talkit up for renewal September 1 2014 need help with deciding to renew or change. Only used for fax but now switching home currently w bell(internet as well- just upgraded to high speed fiber optic line). Love idea of softphone. Unsure of dry loop charges none I believe at present but want to cancel phone so will that change? Need call waiting call answer call forwarding might be beneficial fax 911 support unlimited local and long distance Canada wide a must. Suggestions concerns gladly appreciated. Thanks

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This may be coming a little late, but why don't you go and check gonevoip.ca - there are quite a lot of providers in there with users reviews/comments and so on.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am kind of glad I have high speed cable with 80 up and 80 down. And not bandwidth limits. Perfect for VOIP but I stick with my cell phone.

If I need to make lots of long distance calls I try to use skype as its free, BTW anyone on PEI should try to get the student rate for internet its only 55 bucks a month for high speed cable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information