User Tag List

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By blueeyetea
  • 1 Post By nightlite
  • 1 Post By kerrylj
  • 1 Post By matty's mom
  • 1 Post By Tweetybird999
  • 1 Post By itsmewhoelse

Thread: dyeing clothes has anybody ever done it ?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

hi due to javex I ruined a good shirt .can anybody tell me how to dy clthes ? I know you do it in a washing machine however i do not want to permently color my washer
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

RIT, the dye you'll likely find at your local grocery store or drug store has directions on how to use your washing machine to dye clothes here:

http://www.ritdye.com/dyeing-techniques/washing-machine

Before you attempt to dye your shirt, look to the tag that says what the fabric is. If it's mixed with polyester, the dye experiment might not work as well.

In the past, I used to re-dye my black jeans. They always turned out great, but needed to be washed on their own to remove the excess dye.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ITA with blueeyetea.

I've dyed my clothes over the years using RIT but if you're trying to go over a bleach stain you may not get the matching color you want.

I.E. If your shirt was black and you got bleach spots on it and you'd like to dye it all black again, your spots may turn out a brown/grey vs black.
    BC Gal likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

If it is bleach dmaged it will likely not dye evenly. Also the area that was bleach damaged will likely be more delicate. The dye is cheap so if you consider the item completely ruined then you don't have alot to lose to try it. I believe the dye is about $2. If nothing else you will have a better idea about how to dye something even if it doesn't turn out.
    BC Gal likes this.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Such a bummer when that happens!!!

You may want to bleach the shirt completely- ie removes ALL the colour from it, then dye it a colour you like. One thing to look be aware of is the stitching thread- if the shirt has polyester stitching- it may not bleach clean (for the same reason that a poly blend shirt does not dye well) so choose a colour according to the thread colour of the shirt- or just know that it will be different.

Good Luck!
    BC Gal likes this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

I've dyed curtains in the washer with RIT. They turned out ok. Could have used another session in dye, but I didn't care. I cleaned the washer so carefully. Then my roommate washed his light color clothes. Yes, they turned blue. Which all came out with a little bleach. I couldn't understand where the dye was coming from....so I finally found a tag on the side of the washer drumb. The tag was holding blue dye! AAAAArrrrgggghhhh....all's well that ends well...but I still don't talk to that former roommate.
    BC Gal likes this.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

RIT also has a color remover package too. to help obtain even dying results. I too used to dye my black jeans and shirts when the faded.
    BC Gal likes this.

Thread Information