User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Questions about ODSP

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't understand why people are thinking this is a debate thread on disability or other government aid. Please don't hijack this. Like I said before, I wrote it here to get answer, AND to also help other people who decide to google for more information like I did. This post definitely won't help anyone seeking answers if every second post is someone bashing people who use help.

And thank you to the people who stuck on the point, and are supportive.
    Andit and thealexofevil like this.
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi Bella, it is natural for a topic to evolve. sorry it happened here. I think the discussion is worthy. The person who began what you refer to as 'bashing' has not posted since. I hope you do not mind if you allow everyone to contribute as well. I believe this topic, beyond your inquiry has merit. Thank you.
    Andit likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

On second thought... I'll continue this in all purpose political thread. I know it is not politics, but it's the only other place.
    Andit likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

What you're saying is fine, Vesper, but I didn't write this post for there to be a debate. I wrote this post for help and answers. If people want to debate government help, then please don't do it here.. I just thought it'd be common courtesy to not start a debate and be a negative nelly when someone lets them self open up, in hopes of getting answers.
    Last edited by Brandy Hunter; Wed, Dec 12th, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Andit and thealexofevil like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry Bella, Vesper was just trying to share his experience with you so he could help you.
    he was not being negative, and when you talk about things like welfare and disability, well people want to talk about it. We were trying to tell you about the downfalls of ODSP so that you could be better informed about some of it because you did ask for help.

knowledge is power, and so is an open mind and acceptance.

best of luck to you.
    Andit likes this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I have my hearing on Mon. I'm really freaking out about it all. I've been waiting for this hearing for 18 months. I needed help for a long time, but tried to push through and keep working until I was broken completely. Applying for ODSP has been a nightmare.
    Andit likes this.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Also CB, just wanted to mention as well that if ever you stop receiving ODSP for whatever reason (great job opportunity or something) it is virtually impossible to get approved again. Unless the system changes in the next however long, but just wanted you to be aware.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBella View Post
    What you're saying is fine, Vesper, but I didn't write this post for there to be a debate. I wrote this post for help and answers. If people want to debate government help, then please don't do it here.. I just thought it'd be common courtesy to not start a debate and be a negative nelly when someone lets them self open up, in hopes of getting answers.
    Andit and CanadianBella like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Dec 23rd, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
    Andit likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

After talking to my worker yesterday and confirming that there was no changes..

I got a surprise in my bank this morning. WOW they're fast.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

I'd say you got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    No, they have rapid reinstatement...I stopped receiving ODSP for over a year and then needed it again, it took less than 1 month to be reinstated.
    Andit likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jul 20th, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
    Andit likes this.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Well I certainly wish you the best coping with and managing your health problems. Never easy or simple - but possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Nope, I've been cursed. Been living with my issues for 25 years, have only used ODSP for 4. I got off of it after my first year and was back to work, but then had a major setback and was back on ODSP.

I only had to fill out financial info again to be reinstated.

My health problems aren't ever expected to resolve, so I understand that ODSP has always has the door open for me. Other people's situations may be different.
    Andit likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaLisaBoBisa View Post
    Also CB, just wanted to mention as well that if ever you stop receiving ODSP for whatever reason (great job opportunity or something) it is virtually impossible to get approved again. Unless the system changes in the next however long, but just wanted you to be aware.
    Depends on your health issues and how long you've been off disability.

One thing I would urge everyone on disability to keep in mind is that if you want to test the waters and see if your health has improved to the point that you can work, start with a volunteer job. Depending on the nature of the job, there is a lot less pressure (ultimately, you're a volunteer and they should be grateful to have any help).

Also, if you happen to be able to work, no matter how tiny the amount, be sure to report every penny to the caseworker. The more honest you are, the better.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was finally approved for ODSP, but the letter stated that I was approved for one year only.
    When I contacted the ODSP office as to why it was only for one year, in spite of my psychiatrist's diagnosis, which stated that my condition would last for over one year, they informed me this was standard for everyone. I don't think this is true and I don't wish to go through this procedure again in one year.
    Is it true that this is a standard approval procedure? The person who is helping me is a law student and asked me if I could obtain someone else's approval letter to substantiate their claim. If so, we could then have a case against them.
    If there is anyone who could help me by sharing a copy of this approval letter, it would be greatly appreciated. Of course, you would first censor your personal information.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    I was finally approved for ODSP, but the letter stated that I was approved for one year only.
    When I contacted the ODSP office as to why it was only for one year, in spite of my psychiatrist's diagnosis, which stated that my condition would last for over one year, they informed me this was standard for everyone. I don't think this is true and I don't wish to go through this procedure again in one year.
    Is it true that this is a standard approval procedure? The person who is helping me is a law student and asked me if I could obtain someone else's approval letter to substantiate their claim. If so, we could then have a case against them.
    If there is anyone who could help me by sharing a copy of this approval letter, it would be greatly appreciated. Of course, you would first censor your personal information.
    I have a copy of my approval for two years without review that I can send you. PM me with your email address pls.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information