User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Have you ever used Coconut Oil?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Holly, I do use it sparingly, but last night I brushed the pan just a wisp each time before pouring in the GF, DF crepe batter...managed to make 30! ( about 7" size), then I also used to it saute the onions and other starter veg for my Vegetarian chili, and for the GF minestrone soup. First time I soaked dry beans overnight!!! Guess I wasn't sure how many to soak, well lets just say we sure have plenty of chili and minestrone here now! lol

Oh!! and even greater news about DH and his insistence on curing his own psoriasis on his hands. I finally found him the Dead Sea Salt that he wanted ( he has searched unsuccessfully ) and he makes a mixture with the pure coconut oil and the salt, applies 4-5 times a day. and it has REALLY improved!! I am so wanting him to show the dermatologist that suggested he take a " pill " that costs in the hundreds for one pill! ( causes baldness, high cholesterol.....many other things) forget that!

babies teach us acceptance

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Interesting thread....I've been following this because am also thinking of switching to coconut oil. We do not have a Costco membership - any ideas where to buy this? We have Super store, Safeway, Price Smart and Save on foods. Or do I need to go to a health food store perhaps?
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

WOB, holy poop... i just read that again. 100's for a pill?

awesome that your home remedy has helped!
    hollyquaiscer and walkonby like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Interesting thread....I've been following this because am also thinking of switching to coconut oil. We do not have a Costco membership - any ideas where to buy this? We have Super store, Safeway, Price Smart and Save on foods. Or do I need to go to a health food store perhaps?
    I know its available in Health Food stores near me but is also available at my Maxi & cie. Isn't that the same company as RCSS ?- in which case, check out the health food aisles.
    As with most things, its worth shopping around!!
    anisa and hollyquaiscer like this.
    Come on -Join me ! Get Points, get Free stuff

http://www.gifthulk.com/refer/kazm-l
    And if you need a link for Zoombucks or Irazoo ....let me know!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    yeah I overpaid @ healthy Planet $18.99 for 893 ml.....Ecoideas brand....Ingredients say Organic Pure raw coconut oil. Front label says Virgin, centrifuge extracted. Hexane and GMO free....wow all that! Now I feel more confused. lol
    Momof5boys...just wanted you to know what Healthy Planet health Food charged. They have other types too, varied prices, but a cost to consider.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I bought some last night at Costco, a 1.5 kg jar for $16.99. I haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure it will take the place of my olive oil, as I spray that on things with a mister. This stuff is solid, so can't really spritz it unless I melt it first.

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

i love to use coconut oil inatead of shortening in baking. i buy mine at rcss, organic section. nutiva was on sale last time i bought it, i think it was 15$ for a kilo.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I've tried this a few times now, substituted it for margarine/olive oil in several things; mashed potatoes, popcorn, sliced mushrooms and onions baked in the oven, oven roasted potatoes, pan fried pork chops, and have used it as a moisturizer on a few itchy rough patches on my DS's skin. It worked in all of these applications...but while coconut smells really nice, I'm not entirely sure yet if I want ALL of my food smelling like coconut (although my kid did smell very tasty!). DS was not a fan of the mashed potatoes; I didn't tell him anything was different about them, but he didn't like them. Another negative for me, it's solid at room temperature (as hard as butter out of the fridge), so I can't use my oil mister to add a bit to anything easily, I have to melt it first. So I don't think it will replace my olive oil, but I will use it to fry things in. I was out of vegetable oil anyhow, so this will do. In conclusion, if you're going to try it, don't buy the 1.5 kg jar like I did.
    Last edited by Zonny; Sun, Mar 3rd, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
    anisa and hollyquaiscer like this.

Lua
    Female
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

great thread! i've been meaning to pick up a jar of coconut oil for quite some time now and it's been on my definite to-do list since last week when i came across a wicked recipe for cinnamon buns using coconut oil!! i've also been reading about people using it as a diaper cream for use with cloth diapers (we're going cloth) so it will be nice to have around the house. Costco here i come!
    Join SWAGBUCKS! Get free amazon $!!!
    My Blog: http://mypinkthumb.com

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I use coconut oil as a moisturizer lol LOVE the smell and my skin is so soft and hydrated,soaks in within minutes. My mom has been using it on her face for years, she has amazing skin.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

We were at Costco the other day and we picked up another 2 jars. I'm going to go back before we leave and get another 3 or 4 jars. That should last me close to 6 months to a year. It's so much cheaper down here than it is in Canada.
    kazm-l and walkonby like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Love coconut oil.. Always cook with it specially with my veggie stirfry's and in my morning smoothie I put 1/2 a tablespoon.. excellent for fighting the bad fats in you..
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Another though for coconut.. Is when you go south.. Get them to cut the top off a coconut.. pour the water inside the coconut into a water bottle, add 1/2 water to the amount of coconut water.. and rub it all over your skin for tanning.. I who burns quite easily got a very good tan when I tried this the first time.. Little different what you are all talking about.. Coconut is a very effiecient nut..
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Freshco has a jar of coconut oil for $3.99. It's in the international foods aisle.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I went to a food fair this weekend and got a little carried away and picked up a 1.6L jar of the Nutiva (unrefined, cold-pressed, organic virgin coconut oil) It was only $15 - well.ca has it for $39.99. Their 445mL jar sells for $12.29, although I got it on sale last year for about $8 with a special discount. That size was $5 at the food fair.

I don't have a problem with the smaller jar staying mostly liquid in my kitchen cabinet (next to the stove) but the bigger jar looks like it will be a different story, as Zonny pointed out in her post. But when I need it I will liquify it and transfer to smaller container. I also want to put some in a spray bottle to use for skin care.

As for putting into the mister, mine is metal, so I could probably run it under/ or let it sit in hot water before using it - although I'm not sure if I want to put coconut oil in it or leave it for olive oil.

I'm curious to see how long it will take me to get through the 1.6L jar. And I'm eager to have that jar when it's empty and see all the things I can use it for!

Silk
    walkonby likes this.
    Have a great life!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information