User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Buddyboy546
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By Mia

Thread: Atlantic Superstore quietly down-sizing their bread.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live in a small community on the south shore of Nova Scotia. Being small there are a limited number of places available to shop for basic food items, the main two being Atlantic Superstore and Sobeys. Neither is perfect, but they both do a fairly good job marketing their products. I make it a habit to compliment where due and to pass on concerns when they arise. I do so in a spirit of openness and honesty, expecting similar in return.

With the retail food market in general, I am concerned about a number of issues. One of those is the declining sizes of products. The smaller sizes become, the higher is the price per weight ratio. That is bad enough, but smaller product packaging means far greater packaging and handling ratio, bad for the environment and bad for my pocketbook. You would expect that if retailers were really trying to maximize value for their customers, for the reasons just stated they would maintain, not reduce, product size, and yet the opposite is occurring. The latest example at Atlantic Superstore (Loblaws) is their presentation of fresh baked sourdough loaves.

My wife and I have been buying these sourdough loaves for many years because they are fresh, the bread itself is heavier, less fluffy, and it is very tasty. Over time I have raised the concern of decreasing freshness of Superstore bread with them, both by speaking with the store manager and staff and also corresponding with Customer Service where appropriate. Of course, I am always assured that their bread is the freshest it can be, yet time and again we have been disappointed to find that it clearly wasn't as fresh as it should be, exhibiting the qualities of older bread when actually eaten.

On April 3, 2013, my wife and I selected a sourdough loaf from the freshly baked bread display at the Liverpool Superstore. It immediately struck us as being far smaller than we have been used to. Not focusing on the weight shown on the label but on the size itself, we asked the bakery clerk if the loaves had been downsized. She told us she did not think so but that the loaf we were discussing did indeed look small. The store manager was not in that day so we left our details asking that she call. When we got home I took photos of the loaf, the packaging and weighed it. It was then that we noticed that the bread was deemed good to be sold until a full five days after that day's date. We also noted that the weight of the loaf was labelled as 450gm. Bread size for the longest time has been 675gm for full size and 450gm for the smaller size. We usually avoid the smaller size loaves as less satisfying due to their fluffy texture. It was then that we realized that although the sourdough loaf had been reduced from it's earlier size assumed to be 675 gm, its actual volume was not reduced by a similar amount. The bread had evidently been allowed to rise more than it had been in the past, going some way to disguising the drastic reduction in weight. In my book that is tantamount to dishonesty, pure and simple. The sourdough bread is lighter and fluffier than in the past. To me, the only reason for a store to reduce weight and allow bread to rise more than in the past is to conceal the weight reduction.

With that in mind, I did not wait for the store manager to call me; I sent a note to Customer Service along with pictures, very clearly detailing my concerns. Shortly after that I heard from the store manager. She agreed that my concerns regarding freshness (five day sale time) were valid, but she assured me that there had been no reduction in the size of bread loaves. I ask myself, is such a size reduction of basic food items such as bread something that a store manager would have been unaware of? Hardly, if the manager knows anything about her job, and she is a good manager in other respects. After that, my correspondence went back and forth with Customer Service a couple of times. I located and sent them a couple of examples of their sourdough bread being advertised in flyers as 675 gm loaves. I restated my specific question, has the size of their sourdough loaves been reduced? All replies from them to me have totally ignored that question. Their avoidance made it clear that there is an element of shame on their part, a guilty knowledge, knowing that such a reduction has deliberately occurred yet being unable to bring themselves to openly acknowledge it. After yet further correspondence with them, they finally stated "All current flyers from 2013 for Atlantic Superstores do not advertise Sourdough loaves at 675g, and has always been 450g in size for the past 3 years." As a regular purchaser of their sourdough bread, I know that not to be the case. I also note that sourdough loaves in Ontario are currently produced and advertised at 675gm as usual. Loblaws perhaps see us here in Nova Scotia as poor cousins worthy of less largesse.

Different points of view will inevitably arise. I certainly do not begrudge any enterprise the right to market their products however they wish at whatever size they wish. I draw the line at quietly reducing the size of the most basic of food items without announcement or clarity, even changing the production process to hide the change, then avoiding a simple question from a customer about it. A relationship with my local food retailer where I end up feeling that I am being duped is not a relationship that I am looking for. I suspect other shoppers would be equally disappointed in their food retailer if they knew that this type of practise was occurring.

By the way, I regularly see "Fresh baked bread" displayed in perforated bags with best before dates five days later. Loblaws Customer Service wrote "All breads packaged in perforated bags vary in shelf life from 1-5 days. Bread is sold packaged in a perforated bag on day one and these breads are not sold in a perforated bag on day 2-5. The 5 day shelf life is for customers to take home to enjoy. To further enhance the freshness of the bread, you may want to consider a non-perforated bag.. A poly bag will assist to maintain its freshness until day 5. You may certainly request to speak to a Bakery colleague and request a poly bag to package the bread at home, to ensure it remains fresh." I suspect I am not alone in expecting "fresh baked" bread to have a much shorter shelf life.
    This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Shoppers Drug Mart, Sobeys

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

After a lot of time has passed, it seems that Superstore has relented and will revert to the 675 gram size, at least for my sourdough. I bought one in Bridgewater a couple of days ago and a reliable source told me that the decision was made to change back. Perhaps they felt the heat.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The good news is that Superstore puts their bread products on clearance daily (at least that's the case at the one in Bedford).

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    The good news is that Superstore puts their bread products on clearance daily (at least that's the case at the one in Bedford).
    Now that's interesting. In Liverpool, NS, we have all but stopped buying off the displays in the store, instead always choosing from the cooling racks inside the bakery, visible behind the cake counter. That's because the bread on display can literally be days old. A couple of days ago we bought fresh pizza buns from behind the counter while there were still several packages on display over two days old. Are you sure clearance loaves are less than a full day old?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Since posting the above a few hours ago I went to the Atlantic Superstore in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia. In the bakery area they had two displays on racks of sourdough loaves, but in areas about 10 metres apart. One rack had sourdough loaves labelled 450g @ $2.49. The other rack had sourdough loaves, identical in size but labelled $675g and priced at $3.49. I weighed a loaf from each area, finding that both were over 675g but the one labelled 450g was actually a few grams heavier than the other. Bad enough, but while the cheaper loaves were warm having recently come out of the oven, the more expensive ones were two days old and much firmer, as you would expect. I had a chat with the bakery staff who did not seem to know what was going on, other than to say that the 675g loaves should have been sliced, hence the higher charge. They were not sure why the same size loaves were labelled as 450g other than these loaves are now arriving at the 675g size but the labelling machine still churns out labels at 450g. This made little sense so I involved the store manager. After reviewing the concerns with him I was content to leave it with him to sort out. I will pay a visit in a few days to see if their labelling is more accurate and to see if stale bread is still being offered as fresh. The two day old loaves were a well stocked rack, not the odd one that inadvertently escaped replacement.

Bottom line. Watch what you are buying in Superstore. Stale bread is being left out as fresh - they save money but at their customer's expense. As you can see from my earlier comments above, this is a recurring theme.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyboy546 View Post
    Bottom line. Watch what you are buying in Superstore. Stale bread is being left out as fresh - they save money but at their customer's expense. As you can see from my earlier comments above, this is a recurring theme.
    Not just Superstore.
    Not just Atlantic area.
    Oshawa area Walmart had Maple Leaf prime chicken, vegetable grain fed for $10 a package.
    Some weighed 550 grams and some packages weighed up to 899 grams. All for the same price.

When automated systems are in place, errors are bound to happen.
    With bread and with grain fed chicken
    In Atlantic provinces and in Ontario
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

We bought a breadmaker and make bread at home. So delicious and extremely easy to make.

We don't have a fancy one such as Cuisinart or Breville. Just a simple Sunbeam from Amazon and very satisfied.

I don't know but I find all the loaves of bread from stores have a specific taste (all of them) which I don't like. That's why we decided to bake bread at home. Fresh and we know, what we put in that.
    Last edited by Mia; Tue, Jan 14th, 2014 at 10:46 AM.
    lizzie bargain likes this.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Thread Information