User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Which one should I get, Blackberry Z10 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi Everyone!!!

Recently my phone died [Sony Ericsson Xperia pro] that I had for 1 year 9 months and currently using a 10 year old phone I have as a back up

I am thinking of renewing my contract 3 months early tomorrow.

I am deciding between these 2 phones, Blackberry Z10 or Samsung Galaxy S3 and I am not sure which one I should get.

I've tried them both and like them both but not sure which to get.

I know there are newer phones then the Z10 and S3 but I'll stay a step or 2 behind as phones comes out so quickly these days.
    This thread is currently associated with: Sony Style
    Peachykeen2007 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have had a couple of Samsungs and will not get another.
    I found that the system that they use run has a lot of bugs in it which caused freezing and he only way to fix my phone was to pull the battery. The battery life was not very good, and when the phone randomly froze while not being used, it would over heat. Over the course of less than a year I think I went through 3 Galaxy S.
    jaydenmoorie likes this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

I have the Blackberry z10 and I LOVE IT!!! I also sell both these phones everyday and honestly it depends on what you are looking for in a phone
    formic and angelapride like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow, I have had exactly the opposite experience with the Samsungs. I had the Galaxy S2 and loved -- enough that I updated to the S3 when it came out a year ago. It's been the most reliable phone I've ever had. Furthermore, one of my very good friends just picked up the new S4 and she loves it. It's not as big a leap from the S3 to the S4 (as it was between the S2 and S3) so I'm not anxious to update this time around... but I still love the line thus far.

I've never had any situation that locked my phone up that ever required me to pull the battery - but then I keep the software and firmware up to date.

And I actually have the opposite recommendation toward the blackberry - and it's only because of my previous experience with RIM and previous BB models (most notably the BB Torch) -- I hated the Torch. It was supposed to be an upgraded model from the 9700 and I found it less of a phone. The only other problem I have with BB is that if the RIM network goes down, you're pretty much hosed other than using the phone to make phone calls. Your internet, email, and app access is usually gone during an outage. The future of RIM (as a consumer phone) is questionable. This z10 line is being touted as the last-chance effort to save them from peril. Businesses are keeping the company alive, but many businesses are now reverting to open-network phones that don't require a backend support system. (RIS, BB Enterprise, or RIM dependency). So if RIM does plummet, you can be sure the network is going with it, and you'll have a veritable puck on your hands.

Also, if you're looking for apps and that sort of versatility: Between Galaxy S3 (Android) and BB (BlackBerry apps) - there is a much larger selection in the Google Play store (formerly Android market). A lot more of the apps are free, or much lest costly than they are on the BB network. Also, if you pick up (or plan to) an Android tablet, the apps you've acquired in the Google Play Store are usually accessible on your tablet - and across all your Android devices, current and future (upgrade your phone? Your apps are still accessible). I've been tooled by BB to re-purchase apps when I upgraded my model in the past which left me bitter. That might have changed, but 2 years ago, it wasn't the case.

My vote, undeniably is the Galaxy S3 (or even the new S4 if you're up for the extra cost for it being a new model).

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have a Samsung Galaxy that is about two years old, I still love it. When it's time to upgrade, I'll be going Samsung Galaxy again. I also have a Samsung Galaxy tablet (7 inch), loving that too.

Android devices do go through a lot of battery in my experience, especially if you play games on it. I have a spare battery and charger for my phone that I got from Amazon so I'm never left dead in the water.
    jaydenmoorie likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Samsung does not give updates to their phones last time I checked. BB will give you updates, so that your phone will not become outdated. If you don't mind that, or plan to upgrade your phone once a year, then Samsung is the way to go.
    jaydenmoorie likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bojojoe View Post
    Samsung does not give updates to their phones last time I checked.
    It must have beeen a quite while since you checked. The Samungs I've had the past 2 and a half years have all received updates -- both major and incidental.

My S2 had Gingerbread (v2.3x) on it out of the box, and was updated to Honeycomb (3.x) and then to Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.x), and recently has updated to Jellybean OS (4.1.x)

My Galaxy S3 has had 2 significant OS updates since I've had it. An update within Honeycomb, then to Jellybean -- and they've just announced another update to 4.2 - due out in a month or so which will match the OS and firmware and features of the Galaxy S4.

And those are official updates. not hacks or custom firmware. So I can attest the Samsung does, VERY MUCH indeed provide updates to the phones. Your service provider might not offer them over the air (OTA) but they can still be performed manually.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Wed, May 22nd, 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S11 x for a few months now and love it. No problems at all.

I decided to go with a older Blackberry about a year ago, hated it and returned the device. Why? The wifi wouldn't work at all. I found out that in order to use wifi on Blackberry you need a data plan. Doesn't make sense to me.

With my Samsung or other android phones you don't need a data plan to use wifi. If wifi is important to you, I would check to make sure the new Blackberry does not require a data plan to use it. Unless you are going with a data plan then you do not need to worry.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@toban: The rules for BB still apply... kind of.

If you want data and the full function of the BB, you need to get the BB data plan which is the ONLY way to register the device on the RIM network... and without that, you get none of the messaging services, app services, push email, etc.

When I had a 9700 and deactivated it when I moved to the Galaxy S2. On the 9700, I could still surf the web and listen to XM radio online (with the XM app I installed prior to disconnecting the phone) while on wifi. The XM app is now useless since they completed their merger with Sirius.

So other than that, it was useless. Email, blackberry messenger, the apps store, etc all defunct without a RIM account... which you lose when you depart from the BB Data plans. I used it as a hardware trade in credit (and the S2) at Telus when I moved up to the S3.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Wed, May 29th, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
    jaydenmoorie likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Theres a reason why CNET's list of top tech for 2012 has the S3 beating the Iphone 5...it's amazing!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

S3 is better

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I have the bb torch right now that I'm so over... Always had samsungs pre bb... Debating right now to go back. To sam or try an iphone... Clearly sam wins over bb according to this thread... What about vs iphone? Any opinions?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i recommend S4, with better performance, and also some new awesome functions.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In May, Consumer Reports had rated the Samsung Galaxy S4 as the top model of phone across all carriers

http://news.consumerreports.org/elec...galaxy-s4.html

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I found out a friend of mine has both a Samsung Galaxy and and Iphone (one work, one personal) so I asked if he had to choose one, or recommend one, which would it be, without hesitation he said the Samsung.... I'm going to go to Tbooth tonight and see what kind of deal I can strike up!!
    jaydenmoorie likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information