User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 40% increase natural gas pricing

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Plus don't forget earlier utility bills only used to have 5 % GST on it ( no PST charge ) , ever since HST came in they started charging 13 % HST on it .

So the bills have already gone up by 8 % extra ( the PST portion of it ).

So with this 40 % increase , its like our bill has gone up by 48 % or so ..if you consider the bill from a few yrs back.

Higher the bill , higher the HST on it ..more money for the government to spend & waste ..both gov. & private companies on it ..win win for them.

They just wasted BILLIONS on the cancelled gas plants ironically & now this .
    lghend likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I know this is a silly question, the 40% increase....does it get calculated on each months bill? Like say my bill is usually $150.00 is it now going to be $60.00 more each month?, no that cannot be right. Please someone tell me I'm calculating wrong.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They estimate that the average residential customer will pay about $400 more per year if your yearly cost is $1000. That's for Enbridge customers at the 40% increase. Union Gas had a 28% increase and that is who I deal with in NWO.

Good article: http://www.thestar.com/business/2014...consumers.html
    Last edited by lghend; Tue, Apr 1st, 2014 at 11:24 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

WALKONBY------ sorry to tell you but you are correct. The average annual bill will be rising 40%!!!! Whether or not you want to calculate it monthly or yearly it's still going up 40% I am a HVAC technician for a local company and trust me it's true. It is simply crazy. As for the poster who turned off her pilot light on her fireplaces turn them back on because spiders and dust will collect inside them and it will be a larger repair for you next winter. The pilot light will not increase your bill that much. Just trying to help you out
    Last edited by cashcounter; Tue, Apr 1st, 2014 at 11:23 PM.
    walkonby likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No problem, appreciate the point cashcounter. We also have family that are HVAC techs and have always turned off our pilots. No problems in 20 years (touch wood). Especially good to turn off in the summer as even just the pilot gives off some heat that you can notice. So may as well turn em off now.

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MakaylaGreen View Post
    My mother is paying $900-1200 a month in the winter she uses propane heaters
    Don't get me started about propane! The cost has doubled this winter.. I'd wish for only a 40% increase We switched from oil last year to a more efficient propane furnace and for the last two months bill paid almost 1900$ !! I thought it was an error until i looked it up on the web, but it was true, the rural communities are feeling it .. and the greenhouses and chicken barns out here must be barely hanging on, not to mention all the seniors out here on fixed incomes...
    Roll on spring!!
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm rather curious to see what the profits are for the winter. If they are in the red, I'll understand the hike.
    If they post profits even in the millions, well it goes to show why the hikes (greed).

I don't suppose there's anything we can actually do? Petitions or something that will actually matter?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetproserpina View Post
    Don't get me started about propane! The cost has doubled this winter.. I'd wish for only a 40% increase We switched from oil last year to a more efficient propane furnace and for the last two months bill paid almost 1900$ !! I thought it was an error until i looked it up on the web, but it was true, the rural communities are feeling it .. and the greenhouses and chicken barns out here must be barely hanging on, not to mention all the seniors out here on fixed incomes...
    Roll on spring!!
    , I don't even pay that for the whole year ! Luckily I have natural gas heating still the cheapest as compared to Oil, Propane & Electricity.

Each and every house ( including rural ) should have natural gas heating , solar heating , wind power etc by now in a cold but adavnced country like Canada..the government needs to get on with it & have a proper energy plan by now

They have billions of tax payers money to waste on cancelled gas plants etc , but none to have a proper & affordable energy & heating plan for all Canadians
    sweetproserpina likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

This is how stupid the Enbridge bill looks , lots of lines on it to confuse people & lot of fixed charges

1.Customer Charge - $ 20 ( Fixed Charge )

2.Delivery To You

3.Tranasportation To Enbridge

4.Gas Supply Charge

5.Cost Adjustment Factor

6.HST

Why can't they just have, Gas Consumed By You = Gas Billed To You + HST ..lol ..one line on your bill

( Gas used X Current Rate ) + Tax = How much you pay ..ha ha..not all this other nonsense they have on your bill.

walkonby likes this.

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    , I don't even pay that for the whole year ! Luckily I have natural gas heating still the cheapest as compared to Oil, Propane & Electricity.

Each and every house ( including rural ) should have natural gas heating , solar heating , wind power etc by now in a cold but adavnced country like Canada..the government needs to get on with it & have a proper energy plan by now
    Most of the homes out here have propane tanks that are filled via truck- I think natural gas lines would be impractical out here unfortunately. It would cost a lot of $ to run pipelines through the ground especially since houses can be pretty far apart.. just like we have no septic or water lines either.. It would be so convenient though!
    Skittles160 likes this.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

We are baseboard heat so it doesn't affect us. But it's disgusting

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cashcounter View Post
    WALKONBY------ sorry to tell you but you are correct. The average annual bill will be rising 40%!!!! Whether or not you want to calculate it monthly or yearly it's still going up 40% I am a HVAC technician for a local company and trust me it's true. It is simply crazy. As for the poster who turned off her pilot light on her fireplaces turn them back on because spiders and dust will collect inside them and it will be a larger repair for you next winter. The pilot light will not increase your bill that much. Just trying to help you out
    Thank you for clarifying that for me, I kept looking at the numbers and thinking No way I must be doing it wrong. Well now what will I have to cut out of my monthly budget to allow for this increase?? The dogs look nervous....lol!!

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Between heat and hydro i'm not sure how a lot of us will survive. For those on propane, the prices have dropped again and I recommend filling up during the summer months when the prices are at their lowest. I have spent at least 2000 so far this winter on propane and that's with a discount (family business) Its just nuts and the government needs to step in heat and hydro.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just read my increased bill today. My equal billing payments have increased by $20/mo. That would mean a $240 increase per year. Just paid off my car and now hydro, natural gas, gas for the car(jumped from 1.21 to 1.35 in March), groceries etc, have increased. So much for getting ahead.
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lghend View Post
    Just read my increased bill today. My equal billing payments have increased by $20/mo. That would mean a $240 increase per year. Just paid off my car and now hydro, natural gas, gas for the car(jumped from 1.21 to 1.35 in March), groceries etc, have increased. So much for getting ahead.
    Yup groceries are going to be very expensive this summer , due to the falling loonie ..Canada still imports lot of food from outside like China , Mexico , South America , USA etc ..the low llonie is not helping.

I am already seeing that most of the produce that used to buy for about 99 c/lb ..has become 1.29/lb ..or stuff I used to buy for 1.19/lb is now 1.49/lb

Also lot of .79 canned good are now .99 and so on.

Pretty much most of the stuff I used to buy ..the exact same stuff has become more by around 30 % ..in just the last month or so..

Lot of 99 cents are 1.29 now

I am just going to stick to fruits , veggies , produce , meat ( cheap cuts nothing fancy ) , milk , bread , Oats etc.

Getting rid of canned & expensive & unhealthy processed food from my diet theseday ..Using No Name Oats for break fast as opposed to cereals
    walkonby and lghend like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information