User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Metro (ON) FREE Ivory Soap 3X90g with coupons - details inside!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

There's none left at WM or Target...so no free soap for me.

Does Metro offer raincheck??

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, I got a rain check from Metro for the Ivory
    Decaf likes this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post
    Yes I have done it Google ivorycloud
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QNalcEE-j58
    If you unwrap a bar of Ivory™ soap and microwave it, the soap will expand into a foam that is more than six times the size of the original bar. It's a fun trick that won't hurt either your microwave or the soap. The soap trick can be used to demonstrate closed-cell foam formation, physical change, and Charles' Law.
    Soap Trick Materials

• bar of Ivory™ soap
    • paper towel or microwave-safe dish
    • microwave oven
    • other brands of soap for comparison (optional)

Perform the Soap Trick
    • Unwrap a bar of Ivory™ soap.
    • Place the bar of soap on a paper towel or microwave-safe dish.
    • Nuke your soap. Watch the soap closely to see what happens.
    • Depending on microwave power, your soap will reach its maximum volume within 90 second to 2 minutes. If you microwave the soap longer (I went up to 6 minutes) nothing bad will happen, but the soap won't continue to grow.
    • Allow the soap to cool for a minute or two before touching it.
    • The soap will feel brittle and flaky, but it's still soap, with the same cleaning power as before. Go ahead and get it wet and you'll see it lathers the same as ever.

About Foams A foam is any material that traps a gas inside a cell-like structure. Examples of foams include shaving cream, whipped cream, Styrofoam™, and even bone. Foams can be fluid or solid, squishy or rigid. Many foams are polymers, but the type of molecule isn't what defines whether or not something is a foam.
    How the Soap Trick Works
    Two processes occur when you microwave the soap. First, you are heating the soap, which softens it. Second, you are heating the air and water trapped inside the soap, causing the water to vaporize and the air to expand. The expanding gases push on the softened soap, causing it to expand and become a foam. Popping popcorn works in much the same way. When you microwave Ivory™, the appearance of the soap is changed, but no chemical reaction occurs. This is an example of a physical change. It also demonstrates Charles' Law, which states the volume of a gas increases with its temperature. The microwaves impart energy into the soap, water, and air molecules, causing them to move faster and further away from each other. The result is that the soap puffs up. Other brands of soap don't contain as much whipped air and simply melt in the microwave.
    Things to Try

• Place a bar of Ivory™ in a bowl of water. Does it float? Try this with other brands of soap. Do they float or sink?
    • Cut or break off a piece of Ivory™ and examine it. Do you see pockets of air? The air that causes Ivory™ to be less dense than water has been whipped into the soap, so you won't see bubbles or pockets of air. This is important, because it's the reason why the soap trick works.
    • Try microwaving other brands of soap.

Soap Trick Safety
    • Don't leave the microwave unattended while microwaving soap.
    • Don't place metal in the microwave.
    • Be aware that while microwaving soap will not harm either your microwave or the soap, it will cause your microwave to smell floral and pretty for several hours.
    • Wash your hands after playing with soap so that you don't accidentally eat it (though it's not toxic) or get it in your eyes (which would burn).

http://chemistry.about.com/od/demons.../soaptrick.htm
    Last edited by Anna Michele; Tue, Jul 22nd, 2014 at 04:29 PM.
    torontogal12, Cata and ladymonkey like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

Got 36 today at Metro using the $1.00 coupons and only paid the tax

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Wish I was near Metro! Yes, the soap can sometimes be offputting in aroma but you may get used to it. I like that its not too annoying scentwise as Ivory is my go-to soap unless I have regular Jergens soap (usually get the 3 packs at Dollarama).

You can probably use Ivory as a laundry soap bar if you don't have Sunlight laundry soap on hand.

Liquid soap could be handy for those quick hand washes;no soap remnants to toss out later.
    :O Never toss out those soap "remnants"!!! We never do, we save them and I put them into a soap sock my Mom made me with some fabric scraps she had. Therefore no waste! I can't believe at one point in time we used to toss out the leftover slivers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    There's none left at WM or Target...so no free soap for me.

Does Metro offer raincheck??
    I don't think Walmart carrys the size as I checked 3 different ones. And yes, Metro's do offer rainchecks.
    Decaf likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

went to nearby no frills just now at 16th/markham rd., and they didn't have either the hand soap or the 3pk soaps.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valerey View Post
    Got 36 today at Metro using the $1.00 coupons and only paid the tax
    that is amazing! :D
    ROMEO likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information