• 1 Post By Cake
  • 1 Post By torontogal12
  • 1 Post By lecale

Thread: Navigating Canada Post shipping rates for eBay

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

hi everyone

I am tired of dealing with people on Kijiji (you know the ones). I am thinking eBay is a way to get rid of the stuff and not have to deal with annoyance.

But I don't know what to do about shipping costs when selling. I have a brochure the post office gave me with rates but it is confusing.

I guess I have to get everything weighted and buy special packaging, but what about adding on signatures/tracking numbers? I'm not sending stuff to strangers without tracking numbers. It doesn't have to get there fast. All I want is the tracking number but I think to get one, you HAVE to pay for Xpress post to get a tracking number internationally.

For international buyers that could cost like $30 in shipping, no? That kills any deal

What do you eBay sellers do?
    This thread is currently associated with: Canada Post, Ebay, Guess
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Have you looked at Canada Post's Ship in a click website? I haven't tried it, but I think it's meant to be self-serve. You enter your information, pick the product you want, print the label and have the shipping cost put on your account. You do need to know the weight and measurements for an accurate price.

Knowing the weight and measurements of your package, it used to be that you could go on the CPC website to calculate the rate, plug the numbers in, and then you'd see which options costs what. These days, you can still use it, but they don't show the options that are cheaper than regular parcels, probably to force uses to use Ship in a click. As a small business owner, you can get the Venture One card and be entitled to Expedited Parcel which is cheaper.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 10:24 AM.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I have been selling on eBay for awhile (200+ rating). I never use a tracking no. unless the buyer is willing to pay extra. (Hasn't happened yet). Books I send to the U.S. and use media mail (no tracking # but cheap).
    I've had 1 problem and that was someone unhappy about the duty (not my problem).
    My experience has been great.
    I am selling used items from the house and charge reasonable shipping. If I had a problem and had to refund someone I would be way ahead.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Canada Post shipping rates are obscene. I was just mailing a magazine to a friend in the USA and it costs $6. To mail a MAGAZINE. More to ship than the magazine costs.

I don't think anyone will be buying from Canadians on Ebay. I would stick to Kijiji if there weren't so many time wasters on there
    Last edited by torontogal12; Thu, Oct 23rd, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
    lecale likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 09:15 AM.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Thread Information