• 1 Post By emg
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By mandolinatou

Thread: Child Benefits: Parents from Quebec

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello All,

I am wondering what kind of benefits we are going to get when we will have our baby. Our baby will be born next year June. Both of us are studying at the moment. We live in Montreal, Quebec.

Thank you.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

You mentioned you are studying in Quebec. Is that your home province? I ask in case your permanent address might be outside of Quebec.

I noticed that Quebec has an parental income insurance plan if eligible parents have a minimum level of income to quality for the program. http://www.rqap.gouv.qc.ca/travaille...ditions_en.asp

Child benefits:
    http://www.rrq.gouv.qc.ca/en/program...n_enfants.aspx
    Details of the child assistance payment:
    The child assistance payment
    Universal government assistance

The child assistance payment is a form of financial assistance paid to all eligible families with one or more dependent children under the age of 18 living with them.
    A streamlined procedure for newborns

In the case of a birth in Québec, no application is required in order to receive child assistance payments. The child is automatically signed up for the child assistance program when the birth is declared to the Registrar of Civil Status.
    The amount varies from one family to another

The amount of the child assistance payment varies from one family to another. It is determined on the basis of the following factors:
    the number of dependent children under the age of 18 living with the beneficiary
    the number of children in shared custody
    the family income (this refers to the combined total of both spouses' incomes)
    the type of family (single-parent or two-parent)

The beneficiaries must notify the Régie of any change in their family situation in order to receive the amounts to which they are entitled.

Note
    that...
    The payment amount is recalculated in July of each year.
    Since the calculation of the child assistance payment takes into account the total family income reported to Revenu Québec, an income tax declaration must be filed each year, even if one or both spouses had no income.
    The child assistance amounts are indexed in January of each year.
    The child assistance payment is not taxable.
    http://www.rrq.gouv.qc.ca/en/program...s/paiment.aspx
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Nov 14th, 2014 at 12:17 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Its impossible to know not only because we don't know your income and of course don't post it. Steven harper is also proposing to change things around and increase payments to families. The Quebec government is also proposing a lot of cuts and June is far away considering all these changes. Make sure you apply for both the federal and provincial government programs...these are separate applications and actually I missed the federal one and applied 4 years late. I got back paid but that took some work. You will likely get at least 300 dollars a month between the two programs. If you are low income there is a good chance you will get more. Concordia has a student parent center and they might be able to help you better understand, if either of you attend Concordia I would check them out.
    Ciel likes this.

emg
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinatou View Post
    Its impossible to know not only because we don't know your income and of course don't post it. Steven harper is also proposing to change things around and increase payments to families. The Quebec government is also proposing a lot of cuts and June is far away considering all these changes. Make sure you apply for both the federal and provincial government programs...these are separate applications and actually I missed the federal one and applied 4 years late. I got back paid but that took some work. You will likely get at least 300 dollars a month between the two programs. If you are low income there is a good chance you will get more. Concordia has a student parent center and they might be able to help you better understand, if either of you attend Concordia I would check them out.
    Is the federal the universal child benefit? I am in Quebec so just want to make sure I apply for everything I need to apply for. Thanks
    Ciel likes this.
    Thinking of opening an ING account use this number 35728975S1 and both of us get a $50!! dollar bonus.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Here's the CRA webpage on child benefits and some FAQs to note:
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/menu-eng.html
    emg likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yes the federal is the universal childcare benefit and the provincial is through the regie des rents. If you find the paperwork daunting after you give birth you can go to a lovely place called project genesis in the cote de neige borough and they can help with the paperwork for government benefits.
    emg likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

One of the blogs I read recently did a post on this exact topic.
    Here it is ...
    http://www.savespendsplurge.com/queb...-a-baby-child/

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Congratulate you'll have a baby. I think you're right to know these benefits clearly. These benefits will be important to you.

Thread Information