User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kmontgom

Thread: VMedia TV and Internet

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm currently trying to find a better internet and TV provider because Bell sucks and blames my internet problems on my equipment but it seems to happen at the same time each day 6-10pm. Anyways I'm think of switching to VMedia which has a package that sounds promising.

i currently get with Bell: Satellite TV, 6 Down 0.6 Up DSL Internet and Phone for $159.58
    VMedia offer: TV with all the channels we watch, 30 Down 5 Up Cable Internet for $110.85 tax in plus I'm thinking of ditching the landline since I will have faster internet and get MagicJack.

Does anyone use VMedia and can comment on their reliability and customer service? Also how well does MagicJack work?

Thanks in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: Bell

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

let me know - I am moving back to Ontario from Regina and I refuse to go with Bell. I want to go with start or something else. I was told vmedia uses compression on there tv but I don't know much else. try going to dslreports to see reviews.
    http://www.zazeen.com/iptv-packages-pricing-on.html
    http://www.vmedia.ca/support/

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Vmedia is third party and on rogers lines. The upfront cost is a bit much to handle setup, tv box etc and the customer service isn't the best. I would say go with Rogers and get the ignite package. Best bang for your buck.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Rogers internet is expensive and the customer services sucks at best (also almost have never had a correct bill).
    anastasia1009 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by brennen7 View Post
    I'm currently trying to find a better internet and TV provider because Bell sucks and blames my internet problems on my equipment but it seems to happen at the same time each day 6-10pm.

Just curiously, before you waggle the finger at Bell (who seems to lose a lot of love among a lot of people, no question) -- speed and performance issues that occur around the same time frame each day might be something in your environment... what's different (that you are aware of) in or around your home in that time frame?

DSL is not shared, meaning that your bandwidth is dedicated. Meaning that your neighbour's usage would not affect you, so time of day drops (typically associated with time of day performance drops) is not an issue. DSL speed is otherwise constant from the provider's end. They'd have no reason to throttle your speeds for a few hours every evening.

Keep in mind that DSL comes in via undercurrent on your phone line... So, if there's a problem with your phone line, even if you do not notice it on the voice line, there will be a problem with your DSL in the home:
    - Is someone using the phone heavily during those hours? might be a "load" problem if you have a lot of phones, or bad filters in the home. Also consider the age of the wiring in your home. As a trouble-shooting measure: Try unplugging as many phones & filters as possible and avoid using them... just to see if your performance increases.

- Are there more people connected to your internet during those hours (consider smartphones, tablets, laptops, neighbours mooching your wifi??)

- Are you predominantly on wifi? -- Perhaps you're getting interference from something nearby during that time frame that's interfering with your wifi (my microwave oven used to kill my wifi, for example, until I moved the wireless AP). Someone using a cordless phone nearby can interrupt wifi as well... might even be a cordless phone from a neighbour. -- try changing the "channel" (frequency range) your wifi uses right on the router (your devices will automatically switch).

I know you didnt ask for troubleshooting, but these could be logical fixes that switching providers may/may not actually resolve.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Jun 23rd, 2015 at 09:53 AM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    115 (100%)

Hey there!

I use magicjack both at home and the app, and it does work. I am using DSL and I have used it with Shaw cable.

It is best to use with the best router that you can get. The better the router you could be able to fax with it as well.

Thread Information