User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Hospital rant

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Nurse drops 1 day old baby, fracturing his skull: http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/drowsy-n...kull-1.2448793

Article mentions nurse was feeling drowsy.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

In no way am I piling on any hate---I really think the care my DH was given can only be referred to as MISGUIDED care. There was a major problem in the communication area. I truly believe that all the staff was trying to help, but as the many of there methods were not appropriate for a paraplegic. My DH has two sisters who are both nurses, but do not live in the same city. They feel the training that is given to many members of the medical staff, including doctors, does not include strategies to deal with different levels of paras or quads. In my DH's case, they incorrectly marked him as on disability and and then jumped to conclusions about his care. My DH still does not have a gp, and the two different doctors --two, because one resigned from the hospital after my DH had been there for 2 days---so a lot of inaccuracies; both were from Quebec and assumed that the funding options for disability are the same. As for the TV rental, I tried to rent the tv for my DH the day after he tried and was told no problem, but he still did not get a tv. In the ICU, he had a tv on the wall, but no remote.
    And as for the blood glucose spike, a boost drink and 2 glasses of orange juice were the reason and I was there to stop the it happening the third time.
    Most of my time at the hospital was spent helping my DH eat, helping wash him and even adjustingand changing bandages.
    On the last two days of my DH's stay, I meet two wonderful nurses who also came with common sense. They did not assume that I was abusing my DH because of the arm injury or bruising on his body--that all happen at the hospital. Instead, they offered helpful ideas to deal with these issues when he returned home.
    i will be meeting with hospital officials, not to lay blame, but instead to suggest measures that would suggest improvements that will not allow this to happen to others. No one should ever have to prove that they can provide 'appropriate' transportation, or that there home is accessible in order to have their disabled husband return home.

Quote Originally Posted by pippinelkhound View Post
    I work in a hospital that has an "A" rating. Yet to hear people talk in my city, it's a hell hole.

A couple of things you all should know before piling on the hate.

Despite being the spouse or parent of an adult patient, legally staff cannot discuss the patient's status with you without their consent. Under the rules in my province, we can't admit they are on the unit.

TV rental is stupidly high. Oh, and has to be paid for when the rental outfit is there. No phone in or online payment in my hospital.

Meds, antibiotics and steriods, usually are the worst for causing blood glucose to spike.

If you are going to be there for your relative, don't be a PITA. Use the call bell, don't chase the nurse around. S/he has upto 5 others to care for. Doctors don't rsepond to pages quickly, it's not the nurses fault.
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Nowhere in BC got an A. Some got Bs, the majority got Cs and there were even some Ds ... scarey stuff
    Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

PC Insiders please use my code LR1507 you get $25 and I get $10 in points

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Still trying to get things straighten up with my DH's hospital visit. I am very troubled that that they were not willing to release my DH if we did not have our own transportation. Our vehicle is slowly dying and we have been turned down by many groups (like March of Dimes), mostly because my DH is not on disability. Never been asked about our income, just told not eligible, need to be on disability. Being a paraplegic does not mean you really NEED anything according to one group. So after being told to buy a vehicle yourself---just like everybody else, I checked on the price of a new vehicle modified or the MV1 which is already made with a ramp and tie downs,etc. $65,000 ---sure, like everybody has that in their savings account!
    So, I decided to share my DH's story and with help, I have started a fund raiser. I know most people cannot afford to donate, but I would like you to read the article, simply because many people I have talked to, including hospital staff, assumed that the government gave funding, and you got everything 'free' if your disabled. Not true. This is why your seeing people doing so many personal fundraiser's.
    help if you can, but please share the page, so that there can be a little more understanding about why so many people are 'left behind'.

http://olivercat2.wix.com/frontseat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information