User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: I just got my first speeding ticket (and hopefully last!)

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am so upset with myself. I have gone over 20 years without a speeding ticket and today I was pulled over and ticketed for going 10km over the limit. I was mistaken about the speed limit on the road I was driving on. I was so nervous my hands were shaking! LOL I'm pretty much ranting against myself for being so stupid. Just wondering if anyone knows the rules for speeding tickets in Ontario? The officer told me there would be zero demerit points and I would just have to pay a $40 fine. Does this go on my record though? Is it for life? Do I let my insurance company know or will they find out on their own? Will my insurance go up?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Candini and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I doubt one small speeding ticket will do anything. Accidents are what usually cause increases. Relax and don't worry about it.
    greeny and dededi like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommycoupons View Post
    I doubt one small speeding ticket will do anything. Accidents are what usually cause increases. Relax and don't worry about it.

Thank you ! I have calmed down a bit now lol.
    Tommycoupons and dededi like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I haven't received a ticket ever either. I don't want the expense. I drive the limit or a few over if I am on the highway. Here in BC it starts at $138 and goes up for there.
    My hubby was trying to pass some one who sped up. He had to floor it to pass and a cop got him. Since he was going 40 km over the limit...the car got impounded for 7 days, tow fee, storage fee, $367 speeding fee and points. Expensive!!!
    Not worth risking the safety or your wallet to speed.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It won't go against your insurance, Greeny. I got a ticket a couple of years ago and the nice officer gave me the minimum fine, no demerit points.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by princess_m View Post
    I haven't received a ticket ever either. I don't want the expense. I drive the limit or a few over if I am on the highway. Here in BC it starts at $138 and goes up for there.
    My hubby was trying to pass some one who sped up. He had to floor it to pass and a cop got him. Since he was going 40 km over the limit...the car got impounded for 7 days, tow fee, storage fee, $367 speeding fee and points. Expensive!!!
    Not worth risking the safety or your wallet to speed.
    Yes, I am always cautious...I don't know how I ended up speeding...I feel horrible about it. This was definitely a learning experience. Safety first !
    seylz_gurl and dededi like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    It won't go against your insurance, Greeny. I got a ticket a couple of years ago and the nice officer gave me the minimum fine, no demerit points.

Good to know. Thanks !
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Typically one ticket has no effect on your insurance. A ticket for 10km over is pretty silly. Cops that give those out are trying to meet quota. They also like to sit in areas where the limit just changed. Happens to everyone.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never had a ticket before too. It is pretty rare as others have said to give one for 10 km over depending on the location. If it is a school zone that is different. I think insurance companies can only look back 3 years? Your record of never getting a ticket in 20 years is pretty amazing. Don't be too hard on yourself.
    abbasgirl and dededi like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    I've never had a ticket before too. It is pretty rare as others have said to give one for 10 km over depending on the location. If it is a school zone that is different. I think insurance companies can only look back 3 years? Your record of never getting a ticket in 20 years is pretty amazing. Don't be too hard on yourself.
    Nope definitely NOT a school zone...it was on a county road where the speed limit changes 3 times in a matter of kilometers. Ultimately it is my fault. I normally pay close attention to the speed limit...not sure how I got distracted (lol my mother was in the car having a conversation with me...maybe I can blame her lmao !).
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SunSplashSimplicity View Post
    Typically one ticket has no effect on your insurance. A ticket for 10km over is pretty silly. Cops that give those out are trying to meet quota. They also like to sit in areas where the limit just changed. Happens to everyone.
    It's not silly depending where you are driving. The main street behind my house is a major street so no one drives 50. There is also a school across the street and therefore there are plenty of children crossing the road. They give out plenty of tickets for going 10 over on this street, and they should. You should know better driving by a school and if you are given a ticket for it perhaps you will be more aware of where you are driving in the future.
    Lori, greeny, DaveP and 1 others like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

It all depends on the officer as well. Just like princess-m's DH, I got pulled over after passing a car and before I had a chance to slow down, I got dinged. But the officer was great and gave me the minimum fine with no demerits because I was honest with him. But when I was on a county road, I got stopped by a county cop and he maxed me out. But I wasn't surprised as he has a reputation for being a jerk.
    DaveP and dededi like this.
    Just call me Wolfie

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    It's not silly depending where you are driving. The main street behind my house is a major street so no one drives 50. There is also a school across the street and therefore there are plenty of children crossing the road. They give out plenty of tickets for going 10 over on this street, and they should. You should know better driving by a school and if you are given a ticket for it perhaps you will be more aware of where you are driving in the future.
    Yes, speeding through a school zone is serious business here and the law treats it accordingly. If you're caught speeding in a school zone your fine is automatically doubled. Same if you speed through areas where road work is being done. Plus points on your license and I believe your license is suspended for a week. I imagine other provinces are similar.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

All speeding tickets go on your record, but insurance companies rarely check that because it cost them money to check.
    greeny, DaveP and annedougherty like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

A friend of mine did 70 in a school zone. She's cute though and cried and the cop gave her 10 over.

Maybe wear a wig next time
    GoJays, DaveP, Lyssia510 and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information