User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I recently had one of the most disappointing shopping experiences of my life at Zara. On December 12th my girlfriend bought a dress at Zara. She tried it on and it fit very well. Once we arrived home she removed the tags so she could wear it out that night. As soon as she put the dress on (for only the second time) it split right up the side. Clearly the sewing was second rate, so we drove the hour and a half back to Toronto the next weekend to return or exchange it. The staff were completely unhelpful and the company clearly had no intentions of standing behind their product. Because the tags had been removed they said they could do nothing except send it out to be restitched. When we asked if they could have it mailed to us once it was repaired the reply was 'we don't have that capability'. So the ability to put postage on a package and send it to a customer who bought faulty product is beyond them. Not a good sign. After much back and forth discussion it was clear that they were completely unwilling to be helpful so my girlfriend just asked the clerk to throw the dress out, as it was useless. The clerk would not even do her that courtesy and suggested she give this evening dress to a homeless person because they would be happy with it. I was completely floored by this ignorant comment....clearly the clerk has no idea what the homeless truly need (I think most reasonable people would agree evening wear is not among those needs) and just wanted to wash her hands of this situation. In the end we left, useless dress in hand and $80 wasted. Those people who are considering shopping at Zara may find it to their benefit to spend their money elsewhere, at a business that is willing to stand behind what they sell, and that has employees that understand customer service.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never purchased anything at Zara before so not sure about their quality and you said the sizing was good. Suggestion from the clerk was odd to say the least. I wouldn't leave it there as you feel you are in the right. If you have the bill maybe contact the manager and/or email the company. I know from working in retail that they say that if you've washed or worn the item the sales clerk shouldn't accept it back but you said you were bringing in back in good faith as the workmanship was bad on that particular dress. Sometimes stores will let you exchange an item if it is a reasonable circumstance.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Thu, Dec 24th, 2015 at 08:25 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I would contact management via phone or internet (The sooner the better so you can have it timed. So they don't think that it's some dress you wore to a Christmas party got a little crazy and ripped it.)
    You still have the receipt right? That has a date on it. They should make it right, and likely will.
    $80 is quite a bit to just throw out.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Gotta love the Internet! Here is what I have learned about Zara. Bear with me ... this is how you can fight this and request a replacement dress be sent to you for free.

Amancio Ortega opened the first Zara store in 1975 in a central street in downtown A Coruna, Galicia, Spain. In 1988, the company started its international expansion through Porto, Portugal.In 1989 it entered the United States, and in 1990, France.[This international expansion was increased in the 1990s, with Mexico (1992), Greece (1994), Belgium and Sweden (1994), etc. until reaching its current presence in over 88 countries. Zara stores are company-owned, except where local legislation forbids foreigner-owned businesses; In those cases, Zara franchises the stores.

So with all of this in mind it is clear to me that Amancio Ortega (age 79) is extremely proud of his store branding and would be disgusted to know how it is being operated in their Toronto branch. This person or the second in command is the one you need to get in touch with and to tell them how you were treated. They will deal with the Toronto store!

You can find his under Amaci-Ortega. (Don't worry about posting it in English, I'm sure he has staff who can translate it into Spanish for him).

This is the contact info. I have found so far. You may need to look again if this is no longer up to date. Amancio Ortega

Industria de Diseño Textil, S.A.
    c/o Amancio Ortega Gaona, Chairman
    Edificio Inditex
    Avenida de la Diputación
    15142 Arteixo, La Coruña
    Spain
    --
    Phone: +34-981-18-54-00
    Fax: +34-981-18-55-44

Use terms like you shared with us about horrible customer service, made you feel bad, everything that you have shared here. Tell them exactly what happened. I find time and time again that the person who owns the company has beautifully high standards and accepts no less. As they offer a franchise that says to me that they monitor what happens to each and every store and that they expect all to uphold their high standards.

Thread Information