User Tag List

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By tjthemanto
  • 3 Post By tjthemanto
  • 1 Post By torontogal12
  • 1 Post By salady

Thread: GTA: Union - Pearson Airport Train - Permanent Fare Reduction - More than 50 % OFF

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Just in time for March break. This is PERMANENT reduction. So anyone heading out for March break or coming into Toronto for sightseeing, and are in the vicinity take this UPX instead of maybe a Cab or Uber . This is a great fare & ride. No traffic & fast

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016...than-half.html

Fares on the underused Union Pearson Express (UPX) train will as of March 9 be cut by more than half — down to $9 from $19 with a Presto card, or to $12 from $27.50 without one.

Also, in a bid to fill empty seats, commuters hopping aboard the airport train at Bloor and Weston stations will pay the same as GO riders — $4.71 for a single stop, $5.02 for two stops.

“We’re lowering fares to attract riders,” said a Toronto Star source.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

This HALF a billion dollar White elephant will finally be put to the right use.

All the high priced consultants, government officials ( maybe kickbacks ), contractors who mad out like bandits on this fiasco at the tax payer's expense should be held accountable & responsible for the delays & cost over runs on this project.
    ROMEO, seylz_gurl and walkonby like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I believe children under 12 still ride for FREE on it .

SO not bad at all. For just $ 18 a family of 4 - i.e 2 Adults & 2 kids can go to the airport for only $ 18 . Great for visitors also.

Heck I even see some locals using it as a GO train for Weston and/or Bloor to go to work everyday at Union or Airport. Better than GO or TTC.

Cab could easily be 60-70 bucks plus time & traffic.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

ty for posting this @tjthemanto I heard it on the news today. We still won't use it ( we never fly anywhere now ) BUT I am very happy that they have come to their senses and made a significant dent in the fare for those that would use it.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

finally they get that no one will pay more to use a train if they can get a taxi for way less. Hopefully now the province can make back the money with higher passenger volume and we can take some cars off the road too

We used the train once. It was very nice, but empty. We used it that one time to see what it was like but would not have used it again at those prices
    Last edited by torontogal12; Tue, Feb 23rd, 2016 at 10:00 AM.
    walkonby likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yep, when the UPX started up they decided to keep the fares really high in case the trains were "too crowded". The cost to taxpayers considering the few riders is astronomical. They needed to just incorporate this into the GO line and make it more convenient for people. As it is was it was and still is it is just easier and cheaper to take a cab especially if you are travelling with your family. If you are travelling alone on business maybe but those people tend to prefer and can afford cabs.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Tue, Feb 23rd, 2016 at 11:26 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016...than-half.html

Also, in a bid to fill empty seats, commuters hopping aboard the airport train at Bloor and Weston stations will pay the same as GO riders — $4.71 for a single stop, $5.02 for two stops.
    Does this single stop and two stops fare apply to people getting on at Union or PEARSON AIRPORT and just going a single stop or two stops ?

Or does it just apply to Bloor and Weston stations.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Price is being reduced on March 9 , but if you buy a ticket for a higher price before that, you will get a FREE voucher for a FREE ride in future .

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

What a shame this change isn't immediate. Need to get to the airport tomorrow and I will be driving because it's still cheaper.
    torontogal12 likes this.
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by salady View Post
    What a shame this change isn't immediate. Need to get to the airport tomorrow and I will be driving because it's still cheaper.
    You get a FREE voucher for future use if you buy it right now at a higher price.

Whether you need it or not or will be able to use it or not is a different thing. I am guessing the validity might be for 1 year and should be transferrable.

Thread Information