Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lorvanallen
  • 1 Post By Chantel
  • 1 Post By lorvanallen

Thread: Moving from Ontario to BC

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone here have any experience moving to another province? I'm currently in the process of doing so and am looking for a reputable moving company (if such a thing exists). There are so many horror stories about virtually every moving company I research. I realize people are more likely to post negative reviews than positive ones, but I'm literally losing sleep over this. I can't afford to spend a whole lot, but at the same time I don't just want to go with the cheapest and risk losing everything I own.

I've looked into renting a truck and having someone drive it out for me, but after travel expenses, that's looking to be an even more expensive option.

Does anyone have any experiences to share, good or bad? Any recommendations?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't have personal experience, but a coworker of mine recently moved from BC to NFLD and he said it was cheaper in the long run to just ship all of his stuff rather than put it in a moving truck. He got rid of all of his big stuff (furniture, etc) and shipped everything else in big boxes via Canada Post. He said it cost a few thousand for all the stuff he sent but it was cheaper than movers.

Where in Ontario are you moving from? BigSteelBox is somewhere that I see used around town a lot, and they have some locations in Ontario. I don't know about pricing, but it will alleviate your worry of people having access to your items since you have the key to the shipping container.
    Last edited by Chantel; Tue, Sep 6th, 2016 at 05:41 PM.
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you for your reply.

I'm moving from a rural area in south-eastern Ontario, a little south of Ottawa.

The Canada Post idea is interesting. I hadn't considered that. I did look into "pods" and other storage containers like the one you describe. They were surprisingly expensive, though I haven't researched BigSteelBox specifically. I will call them today for a quote.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by lorvanallen; Fri, Sep 9th, 2016 at 10:29 AM.
    dededi likes this.

Thread Information