User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

Expired
    I'm sure this will be a madhouse.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_31226.aspx

Bread For A Quarter, Socks For A Dime: Honest Ed's Harks Back To 1930s In Three-Day Sale
    Wednesday January 21, 2009
    CityNews.ca Staff
    It's the kind of thing Honest Ed's has always been known for, and it would've made the store's late founder proud.

The Toronto bargain mecca is holding a three-day sale from Thursday through Saturday, and prices will be slashed to 1930s levels. That means you can come in with only your change purse on you and leave with bags full of merchandise.

"We just thought, that's all you hear in the news lately. A lot of problems out there. We've been doing unique and one-of-a-kind different things for decades and we just thought this was apropos for the times, to try to recreate an event (where) people can buy items depicting prices of the Hungry '30s," the store's longtime general manager Russell Lazar tells CityNews.ca. "I think we've come up with 50 or 60 (different) items and we've got a couple hundred thousand pieces altogether."

A few examples of what's on offer at the store over the next three days: a loaf of sliced white bread for a quarter, T-shirts for 10 cents, a bar of soap for 20 cents, tea towels for 25 cents, and sport socks for a dime.

There are also candles, salad plates, coffee mugs, soap dishes, facecloths, baby bottles, original oil paintings, light bulbs, bagels, spaghetti and milk, and most items won't set you back more than a quarter. Some of the items, notably the grocery staples such as milk and bread, are available in limited quantities, so Lazar advises getting to the store early.

The unique sale should come as no surprise to those familiar with the landmark retailer's history. For years, 'Honest Ed' Mirvish oversaw the annual turkey giveaway at Christmastime, helping to give those less fortunate something to smile about over the holidays. And by stripping things down to the bare basics at his store, no returns or deliveries, no fancy packaging, he was often able to offer prices way below his competitors. It worked, as people came in droves and lined up around the block to take advantage. And though Mirvish passed away in 2007, the store's traditions live on.

"We've been doing this for decades. We decide on a promotion and our buyers go out hunting for merchandise that we can pass on to the public. This is one of our more exciting ones than I think we've seen in years," Lazar enthuses, adding that he anticipates 15,000 to 20,000 people to walk through the doors over the next three days.

"We think it's going to create a lot of fun and get rid of these winter blahs."

The store, located on the southwest corner of Bloor and Bathurst Sts., is open from 10am to 9pm Thursday and Friday, and 10am to 6pm Saturday.

Some of the items you'll find at the Honest Ed's Hungry 30s sale (some in limited quantities):

White sliced bread - 25 cents
    Dozen eggs - 25 cents
    Italpasta spaghetti, 900g pkg - 25 cents
    1L Sealtest 2% milk - 25 cents
    Mac & cheese dinner - 25 cents
    200 mL carton apple juice - 17 cents
    Assorted bouillon cubes - 25 cents
    Aluminum picture frame - 15 cents
    Evenflo 4oz glass baby bottle - 10 cents for 4
    10 pack pencil set - 10 cents
    Ombra bath & body wash (20 mL) - 10 cents
    Ladies T-shirts - 10 cents
    Men's briefs - 25 cents
    Facecloths - 10 cents
    Tapered candles - 10 cents
    Salt & pepper set - 25 cents
    5x6" framed oil paintings - 25 cents
    Men's gloves - 25 cents
    Men's suit bags - 10 cents
    Porcelain salad plate - 10 cents
    Coffee mugs - 25 cents
    Nail polish - 12 cents
    Light bulbs - 17 cents
    Garbage bags - 5 for 25 cents
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Honest Eds, MAC Cosmetics, Staples

Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Good find Ginger!

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

OMG that is amazing. If I lived anywhere near there, I would be camping out at least all day Wednesday to make sure I got there first. I'd be worried about people fighting or killing each other though! I know how crazy people get about things like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I sort of live close to Honest Ed's. I will go tomorrow morning and check it out. I will let you guys know how it is.
    -Mike

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

INSANE!! Lol

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ginger150 View Post
    i'm sure this will be a madhouse.

adding that he anticipates 15,000 to 20,000 people to walk through the doors over the next three days.
    my word ....

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

this needs to be on the blog!

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I might go, but I'm a little bit scared.

S J
    Female
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

well , the prices are insane but i absolutely hated the store when i was there once.Its like a maze , displays on mezzanine floors etc. I was with my son who was 1 yrs old and it was absolute horror story to get his stroller up and down the stairs.I find the stuff which is cheap like shoes and clothing very bad quality almost as if Dollarama kind and rest was almost same price as Walmart.But who ever lives close by for them these prices are good bargains.
    JOIN ME AND GET FREE GIFT CARDS! CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jainshilpi{earn by daily searches}

http://www.leadprizes.com/members/register.php?ref=sj23{earn by completing P T C offers}

Pm me for help!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I've never been there but I've seen it on the news a lot, sounds like if u lived nearby, didn't mind crowds and were able to go without kids it would be an adventure of sorts

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Ill blog it!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    92 (100%)

sounds interesting, have never been honest eds even though I've been in toronto all my life .. well, sort of.. would like to check this out but ... kind of frightened...
    with Wagjag(http://www.wagjag.com/?wid=b6d767d2f8ed5d21a44b0e5886680cb9), I've saved @ Umbra store, Windsor Arms Hotel (Afternoon Tea), Fairmont Royal York Hotel Library Bar, Wanda's Pie in the Sky, Hero Burgers, Menchies Frozen Yogurt, AND Curves Fitness! YOU CAN TOO!

Jenny~Bear
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I would love to go but I have to work, I am sure that by the time I get there at lunch all the good stuff would be gone

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Honest Eds is amazing, some of their deals are good even on regular days. (they have pretty cheap pants for guys some are national brands)

and yea, the place is a maze, but when you have free time on a regular day it's fun and you could spend like half a day to explore and check out those real old school /historic stuffs they have on the walls too

and of course, the free turkey every year is famous... (i never went for turkey giveaway though )

too bad i don't live around the area i like that place

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I actually have goosebumps reading this, lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information