User Tag List

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I've been providing home childcare for the last 10 years since my youngest was 2. He is now 12 and here I am, still providing home childcare!

I love what I do and wouldn't change it for anything.

I have a few questions though

I have 5 families I provide care for, each family has 1 child in my care.

Four of the 5 families are employed with a School Board so they get March Break, Christmas Break, Summers etc off.

Also, these four families bring their kids to me on a part time basis. For example, one little guy is here 3 full days a week, another little guy is here 5 HALF days per week.

Up until now I have only charged these families 1 day per week during the summer to hold their spot whether or not their child attends for that day. I won't hold a spot for 2 months without any pay matter what.

I could go on and on!!!

As a provider (or parent) what would you/do you charge or pay for a part timer?

I really think I made a mistake when I took on these part timers and didn't set my rates high enough as well as think through summers etc.

I'd love to hear from others who provide home childcare OR take their child to a home childcare.
    <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

i wish i had some advice for you as i know nothing about home day care i'm a stay at mom but kudos to you just the thought of all that responsability scares me

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

There is a price structure that works for everyone for this situation.

Charge a minimum monthly rate that allows you to cover yourself. i.e. $325.00 per month.

Then charge per day with a minimum and maximum daily rate i.e. minimum $15.00/day up to a max of $30.00 (use an hourly rate to calculate i.e. $4.00/hr)

Then you track parents hours. If they don't go over the minimum monthy rate, they just pay that. If they go over they pay the minimum plus the differance.

Of course you'd have to work with prices that make sense for your area, but this structure allows you a set income to work with and allows the parents some flexibility while still garanteeing thier spot.

Trading Score
    123 (99%)

What I did when I was doing childcare was I looked at what childcare subisidy paid and worked with the childcare resource and referal center (not sure if everywhere has one but if there is use it, very helpful) they put me up on their website and when people came in the let them know if I was in the area they were looking for... I didn't have to pay anything for it either! They said that the standard rates for my area are about $7 more a day for full time than what childcare subisity pays... For a half day I charged $18 for under 4 hours and for a day over 4 hours it was $35
    Do u have a contract written out with these families? If not I would strongly suggest that you do, in it you can outline hours, rates, days, holidays, and what to do incase they want to go to someone else, or they quit suddenly... Have it signed and dated... Also u can put in a review date... Where you can actually set up a meeting with the parents to discuss anything you might need to with the parents.

Thread Information