User Tag List

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Hi Guys! (I hope this is the right area for this thread).
    Has anyone seen a deep freezer chest or perferably an upright freezer on sale/good deal recently? I'm in the GTA (Ontario).

DH & I are thinking of purchasing one for Xmas.

Any experience (bad/good)?

Thx!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Grateful for the savings
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My tip would be to pay extra to have one with auto-defrost (frost-free); wish I would have known that when I bought ours five years ago. Most chest freezers are manual defrost, so once a year you must remove all items from the freezer, and allow the freezer to sit and thaw out, removing the frost build-up. There will be a drain plug in the bottom to allow the liquid to drain. The accumulated frost will sit not only on the freezer, but also on its contents. Frost-free freezers do not get the accumulated ice build-up in their interior or on products inside them.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

thx Nice Sass.. I never thought of that point. Thanks!
    Do you have a chest freezer or any upright?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

You should consider the energy use as these things can really hike up your bills

You can look around on classifieds to see if you can get a good deal on a used one.
    PM me for referrals to survey sites that pay
    Earn with Swagbucks - Referral Link

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I would agree about the frost free thing and also suggest an upright freezer. It is SO much easier to find things ....you just open the door , grab what you want and off you pop , as opposed to a chest freezer where if the thing you want is at the bottom then you virtually end up falling in the thing to grab it!!

Grateful for the savings
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a chest style but also wish I had an upright for the reasons mentioned above. Just the other day I was telling DH that we need to clean ours out as there are some products lurking towards the bottom that are far past their prime, even in their frozen state.

I bought mine at Costco and didn't pay any attention to particulars - just went with something cheap. This was pre-kids when I actually had money; that would have been the time to invest wisely in appliances, and consider what possible future needs I would be facing.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think I saw an ad for Heir freezer (7 cu ft) for $199 in the future shop flyer yesterday

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i haven't bought one yet, but i would probably look at these points.
    upright dumps out cooled air when you open the door. with chest style, the cold air stays in the freezer.
    also, used won't get you the most energy efficient appliance.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I assume that wasn't an upright?

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate786 View Post
    I think I saw an ad for Heir freezer (7 cu ft) for $199 in the future shop flyer yesterday

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

where did everyone purchase/get their deep freeze?
    Been looking around.. hearing Sears is a great place.. but latley it's only $20-$50 off.
    I want.. well rather need a better deal then that!

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Corbeil had a deal a while ago where you bought something from them (a freezer for example) and got gift cards for M&M (50$+)
    At least with Sears you can get points and exchange it for gift cards.
    Wonder if its worth waiting for the sales??....or are you really desperate?

Grateful for the savings
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Agggh....when I hear of anyone suggesting purchasing an appliance at Sears I want to scream from the top of my lungs "No, no, no, no, no!" I've submitted a store review to SC (weeks ago), but it hasn't been posted yet. To summarize it, my sister bought THREE brand new appliances there earlier this year (she bought a new house), and every SINGLE ONE OF THEM broke. In fact, one was delivered obviously broken. Another broke within two months; another a few months later. She had to fight, fight, fight to get Sears to do anything - they would never just honour their policies, instead she had to go to the corporate level.

The last straw was when her fridge broke and a Sears repair-person was sent to fix it: He fixed the original problem but in the process broke an integral component and admitted to it, completely breaking the fridge, and telling her that Sears would have to replace it completely. He was honest and helpful, and said this happens occasionally. But, the store refused, so while her family was living out of a bar fridge it took about TWO months of fighting, denying, lying, until Sears finally fessed up: This was after she had to deal with VP level. In the end, they gave her 75% off a new fridge.

I know that Sears isn't responsible for the quality of the goods sold, so the fact that appliances break isn't their fault; BUT how they react, especially to a customer who gave them so much business in tough times, is truly indicative of their customer service. This store went to great lengths to deny my sister what they contractually agree to in their own policies, and she even had to threaten them with small claims court to get them to honour their policies.

No one in our family and friends network will ever shop there again (certainly not for a major appliance, but we won't even step foot in the store for anything) because of her experience.

This was in Halifax, BTW.

Thread Information