User Tag List

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When I was in Italy what seems to be a VERY, VERY long time ago.. one thing I noticed about their kitchens (besides their brick pizza ovens which I am very jealous of) was the size of their refrigerators. They’re TINY! I remember asking why that was and was simply told that it was due to the fact that they don’t ‘keep’ things in their fridges other than some leftovers perhaps, some cheeses, drinks, etc.

So what do they do different?

They go to the market almost every day and pick up what they are having for dinner same day! What an excellent idea!! Of course, heading to Sobeys or Superstore every day to pick up some meat isn’t exactly what I would call a great idea – but for them, they had markets on what seemed to be every street corner.. so it made sense.

I’ve sort of incorporated that style of thinking into my own home this week, by planning meals ahead of time – and you know what? It’s worked beautifully so far. No longer am I heading to the fridge at dinnertime wondering what I’m going to be making that night, or even worse heading to the grocery store to pick up items that I already have or perhaps purchasing more food when I have a lot of food already in my fridge which is going to waste perhaps.

It doesn’t take long in fact to just think up some items that you’re going to have each day. I’ve also found that if you do it while you’re in the kitchen after taking a brief look at the cupboards and fridge to see what you’ve got in there already, you’re more likely to use things that have been sitting or not being used for awhile (see that can of beans way in the back? Why not conquer a recipe for chili this week?)

It’s also a good exercise to know how busy my schedule is for the week and to know what I will or won’t have time for. Example, last night we knew we were going to see the movie “Avatar”, and is customary for us – we always get ourselves a good heaping of popcorn at the Theatres. For that reason we had a relatively light dinner (or supper as my roommate would like to say) of hotdogs and caesar salad.

Anyhow, it’s also extremely useful to have a pen and pad somewhere near the kitchen so that when you run out of something or are running low, you can pick it up all at once instead of making multiple trips to the grocery store for one item. Freeing up some free time – I’m all about that!

My fav site Lifehacker just published an article on Menu planning and green shopping which would be useful to check out – but it’s all about planning ahead I’ve found.
    This thread is currently associated with: Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Sobeys
    Not familiar with Swagbucks? Swagbucks is a search engine powered by google.com and ask.com but it rewards you for searching! Use it just like you would any other search engine and you will receive occasional Swagbucks for searching. You can redeem Swagbucks for giftcards, prizes and even cash! It takes 45 Swagbucks to get a $5 Amazon e-certificate. register (for FREE) and get 3 Swagbucks for registering.

Join Today

Just Got a cool T-Shirt in 10 Days .. Wow this is too good to be true.

I just got 15 Lockerz Invitations left. Send me a PM today and I will get you hooked up.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

that's how I do the shopping list each week - I decide what we're having for dinner each day then write down all the things I need to cook each meal - then I write the list and add in all those things and we're good to go

Trading Score
    141 (100%)

I wish, I'm to all over the place. I've tried...always fail!!!
    Good for you!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

thanks for the nice post
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I wish I could meal plan but I always end up just winging it from day to day. But thanks for the great articles!!!!

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

I am trying to get into meal planning now... I don't do a whole week's worth... I think it's too harrowing, having to think of what to eat for dinner 5 days down...

I just do it day by day... Tonight after dinner, think about what to cook for tomorrow's dinner... It kind of works.

I ended up cooking more at home and eat out less in the last week!
    At the right time, a kind word from a stranger, or encouragement from a friend, can make all the difference in the world. Kindness is free, but it's priceless. ~ Doe Zantamata

"And it's always the right time!" ~ Woofy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

lol I can't fathom doing it any other way - how do you go grocery shopping when you don't know what dinners you are going to cook through the week??

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Aviallani View Post
    that's how I do the shopping list each week - I decide what we're having for dinner each day then write down all the things I need to cook each meal - then I write the list and add in all those things and we're good to go
    Me too!
    I also bought a white board and stuck it near the fridge - that way, when someone finishes something or notices we are running low then they can add it to the list. Those things are then added to my shopping list before i go out.
    When it comes to planning the meals i also ask for input from the kids.... its nice to have someone else decide what we are going to eat from time to time...its still up to me to make it as healthy an option as possible

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

lol I can't fathom doing it any other way - how do you go grocery shopping when you don't know what dinners you are going to cook through the week??
    I have 2 grocery stores that are less than 5 mins walk, and a lot that are less than 15 mins drive.

I guess that makes it easier for me to grab the stuff I need after work before I go home.
    At the right time, a kind word from a stranger, or encouragement from a friend, can make all the difference in the world. Kindness is free, but it's priceless. ~ Doe Zantamata

"And it's always the right time!" ~ Woofy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Exactly. I was shocked at how much "junk" I buy if I am not following a list at the Grocery store.
    Not familiar with Swagbucks? Swagbucks is a search engine powered by google.com and ask.com but it rewards you for searching! Use it just like you would any other search engine and you will receive occasional Swagbucks for searching. You can redeem Swagbucks for giftcards, prizes and even cash! It takes 45 Swagbucks to get a $5 Amazon e-certificate. register (for FREE) and get 3 Swagbucks for registering.

Join Today

I just got 15 Lockerz Invitations left. Send me a PM today and I will get you hooked up.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Woofy View Post
    I have 2 grocery stores that are less than 5 mins walk, and a lot that are less than 15 mins drive.

I guess that makes it easier for me to grab the stuff I need after work before I go home.
    We've always found that shopping day to day tends to cost us extra in the long run - I guess there's extra impulse buys - I dunno

Quote Originally Posted by Petapaw View Post
    Exactly. I was shocked at how much "junk" I buy if I am not following a list at the Grocery store.
    Oh we're so lost without the list!!

I usually sit the clan down and ask everyone what they would like for dinner through the week - everyone gets a shot at something they like that way and if they don't speak up then they lose out

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yea we have been doing this for years now and have been trying to convince our friends to change over.

Join Today

You found a coupon where?
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

This is my plan of action...
    I go through th flyers of the grocers with 10minutes near me (food basics, shoppers, zehrs, no frills) I plan my weeks meals with what's on sale, I dunno about you but meats are incredibly expensive unless you can stock up on good finds.

I buy the week's groceries on Saturday morning with a note of what to buy where.

On Sunday I cook the week's meals and divide in portions so my hubby can take a cooler of meals with him to university. He's away at school during the week and it helps with cost of eating out.

If you cook on Sundays you'd be surprised how little dishes and stove you use during week.
    Christa

Thread Information