User Tag List

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Is this tacky to change middle names as well as last?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by LisaLisaBoBisa; Wed, Jun 20th, 2007 at 05:07 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

How old are your guys?

Are you changing it to someone elses/your own name? (because of divorce, remarriage?)

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Unless you live in Quebec it's pretty easy i believe.

Which province do you live in? I can help get you more useful information.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

I have everything ready to go - will change last name to my maiden name, but would also like to change middle name ( from fathers first name to something else) --- Just wonder if it seems odd to do at 4 mths..

Thanks for offer Boo.. Seems easy enough in Ontario and they have sent me all necessary forms.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Not odd. Have heard of some stories of a baby that went three months with no FIRST name.

Parents couldn't decide, so just called him "Baby" until they made up their minds on a name.

You probably have taught the first name, but not the middle and last, so timing is good to change it.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Nah..I don't think it's tacky. I mean if you want to change it, go ahead..Your kid is just four months, right? It's not too late..it's not like he's a year old and really used to the name.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Do it. Your child will never miss the name if they never know. Even if you tell them I am sure they will be accepting of it. Besides, they can always change it back when they get older, right?
    Remember that even though pets are here for such a short time they teach us things we would never be able to learn in many lifetimes on our own.

Busy Bee
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Your baby is too young to remember a name change so dont worry do it as this is a good time in babys life to do it.

Be a little kinder than necessary,remember everyone is fighting their own battles.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Your baby is way too young to remember a middle name. I didn't know my middle name until I was 5. Even then I wasn't sure if that was my name or not.

Julie Andrews
    If you change your little one's name will there be a change of name certificate to show along with his birth certificate every time he needs to apply for something? (eg SIN, passport etc)

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Not in Ontario. In Ontario a name change is amended on the birth certificate. I am not sure about other provinces. Ontario also offers the option of using an assumed name when you get married. So no name change on birth certificate but can change all of govt ID. You have 60 days from date of birth registration to make changes to a babies name - I am within that timeframe so I just give them back the certificates I already have and they mail me new ones ( $60)

Thanks all for answers - I didn't think he would remember it but it's the " you're name used to be xxxx, then I changed it" type thing.. Maybe he'll never know.. LOL

Julie Andrews
    In that case then... since it's ammended on the birth certificate itself- go right ahead and change it. It might make a good story when he's older.

IreneWpg
    Lisa I am going to be the voice of opposition to give you something to think about.

Your son will always be his father's son and nothing can change that, at least biologically. Is the name so terrible (like Igor)? Does your son have contact with his father? Do you think he will want to see or know his father when he gets older? Since you were married to him, what will you tell your son when he gets older? Wouldn't it be nice to tell him that even though you and his father could not make it work, he still has his name.

Even tho you may be angry and bitter now, you need to think about the future with a clear head. Unless his father was a child molester, a murderer or something like that, the boy might want, or need (for medical reasons), to know his biological father.

Change his name if you want - it's just a name.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I changed my own middle and last names in my 20s..lol.. I figure if you're going to go through all of the cost and paperwork you might as well get more for your money.. ha ha... In your case, since it's the middle and last I don't think it's such an issue at all. I think at this stage to change a first name could be confusing but since he isn't old enough to be putting his middle or last name on anything himself yet it's a perfect time to avoid confusion that could be caused later on if you did it.

Thread Information