User Tag List

Page 283 of 3096 FirstFirst ... 183 233 273 281 282 283 284 285 293 333 383 783 1283 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 46438
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Club Q Q107-Loyalty Club (Southern ON Only) v2

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by 6ffightr9 View Post
    NEW YORK FIREFIGHTER KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY-SILO EXPLOSION
    The Secret List www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com

It is with deep regret that we advise you that Garrett Loomis, Assistant Fire Chief (promoted last week) of the Sackets Harbor, New York, Fire Department died in the Line of Duty when a silo exploded this morning. The explosion happened a little before 1000 hours Sunday with the run coming in around 0915 Hours. Smithville and Sackets Harbor Fire Departments were called to the scene. This mornings fire was reported at the same farm that had barn destroyed on Thursday in another fire

Reports are that while silo the was burning this morning, tragically, it exploded while Assistant Fire Chief Loomis was up on top of or near it. Chief Loomis, 26,suffered severe injuries and was pronounced dead at the hospital. Chief Loomis is survived by his parents and a brother. Chief Loomis was just promoted to assistant chief this past week. Chief Loomis was also a career Firefighter with the Fort Drum Fire Department. More details to follow.

As always-our most sincere condolences
    Thanks for posting this news. It is so tragic that such a young man should lose his life in this way. Of course, full details will follow, but the problem with lessons learned from past incidents is that it sometimes seems that the lessons are not retained. I have used the two previous similar silo fires in Ohio, both referenced on Close Calls, as a case study on numerous occasions in my articles and presentations to the fire service. In both Ohio incidents, USFA and NIOSH recommendations on silo fires were ignored. It appears the same in this newest loss. Fires in silos which are not equipped with extinguishing systems should be allowed to burn out. Under no circumstances should water be applied from the top, under risk of explosion.

Standard risk management model:

We Will risk our lives a lot, in a calculated manner, to save SAVABLE lives.

• We Will risk our lives a Little, in a calculated manner, to save SAVABLE property.

• We Will Not risk our lives at all for lives or property that are already Lost.

Last edited by psells; Sun, Apr 11th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Nightly Recap

Trivia
    City Nicknames from Around the World: B
    Hoaxes and Urban Legends: A
    This Day in Canadian History: A
    Sports Trivia: C
    Winner:
    6ffightr9

10:15am - blues
    Winner:
    orsybe
    Honourable Mention:
    kenrod
    the H team

4:15pm - baseball
    Winner:
    mizzsazzyazz

Derringer's Cash Grab Words
    9:40am - buy
    Winner:
    db band

2:30pm - playoffs
    Winner:
    WolfDio
    Honourable Mention:
    tad01

5:40pm - delicious
    Winner:
    db band

Hope everyone had a fun Psunday! I was at half speed today, still tired from my big outing yesterday. One of these days, I'll remember to act my age & not overdo it (who am I kidding, that will never happen ).

Had the short one out for some fresh air this afternoon & was asked by some tourists how I managed to train him to be so calm. I told them my dog trained him.

The local SCers are having their monthly meet. Right now, it's looking like April 13 & 21 (cause we can't bear to be apart for more than 2 weeks). Here's the link for more info:

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/131784-...oronto-canada/

I'm practising with some chocolate truffle recipes, if anyone wants to stop by & play guinea pig.

Night all.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jim_tazman View Post
    I thought the group was Culture club, "Do you really want to hurt me..." seeing Boy George, YES!
    No not exactly the same thing.

"While CultureQuest® might be considered a trivia game or competition, its intent has always been to promote and test cultural literacy. From film to politics, from literature to geography and from music to history, Mensan teams of up to five members gather in their neighborhoods on a single day across the U.S. and Canada and, for 90 minutes, compete for cash prizes and cultural literacy bragging rights."

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by psells View Post
    No not exactly the same thing.

"While CultureQuest® might be considered a trivia game or competition, its intent has always been to promote and test cultural literacy. From film to politics, from literature to geography and from music to history, Mensan teams of up to five members gather in their neighborhoods on a single day across the U.S. and Canada and, for 90 minutes, compete for cash prizes and cultural literacy bragging rights."
    How'd ya do? Did your team earn any bragging rights?
    Just because something isn't right for YOU doesn't mean it's wrong.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Fish season is open?
    Fishing for Crappie. Didnt do so well today though as the weather was a bit to cold and you had to get into all the little nooks that run off the lake and I had my 16 ft boat not the little one so we couldnt get into where the fish were holding ground.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by karmac View Post
    How'd ya do? Did your team earn any bragging rights?
    We'll see. We mail our answers in and receive our results after a few weeks.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A Canadian soldier has been killed in a roadside bomb while on foot patrol southwest of Kandahar City. Pte. Tyler William Todd was 26 years old.
    Another tale of a brave soldier who has lost his life. My families hearts goes out to his family and fellow soldiers.
    Last edited by runt158; Sun, Apr 11th, 2010 at 10:15 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Standard risk management model:

We Will risk our lives a lot, in a calculated manner, to save SAVABLE lives.

• We Will risk our lives a Little, in a calculated manner, to save SAVABLE property.

• We Will Not risk our lives at all for lives or property that are already Lost.
    [/QUOTE]

They say he was only 26 years old so it could be lack on knowledge for whatever reason is to blame here including what you have stated.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by runt158 View Post
    Fishing for Crappie. Didnt do so well today though as the weather was a bit to cold and you had to get into all the little nooks that run off the lake and I had my 16 ft boat not the little one so we couldnt get into where the fish were holding ground.
    I never have any problem getting my shopping cart into all the nooks and crannies near the fish counter.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm still in reppin' jail so I guess I'll get lunches ready for tomorrow and go to bed.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I never have any problem getting my shopping cart into all the nooks and crannies near the fish counter.
    Yeah, but you would if you were using the 16ft shopping cart.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by karmac View Post
    Yeah, but you would if you were using the 16ft shopping cart.
    Well, yes, obviously the megacart would be a problem. I'd only use it if I were buying something like an entire swordfish.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One day maybe everyone will follow the risk management module but there is always those who do not and for that some pay the ultimate price. Another sad day in the service as a life lost for no real reason. I sort of wonder what his qualifications were only being 26 and in a position of that stature. Not saying he wasnt qualified but in our business past practice and experience play a huge part of how we do things and how we learn what to do and what not to do. Sympathy goes out to the family and fellow firefighters and lets hope that we all learn from this. I always tell my crew the first thing i want to see if the guys and the last thing I want to see is the guys walking out the door when its time to go home.
    [/QUOTE]

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well, yes, obviously the megacart would be a problem. I'd only use it if I were buying something like an entire swordfish.
    Hard for a swordfish to swim in our lake its to shallow and muddy
    No grocery fish for this guy I catch what I eat sometimes and sometimes I starve

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good luck this week!!!

Another potential $10k winner! Here is the graph, right up to date. A couple of developments, Derringer's median is back below $3k, and that last contestant pushed Kim's reward/risk on the 5th grab to very slightly better than even money (first time it has been there). I'll post this again Sunday night if I remember, or if someone reminds me.
    Attached Images Attached Images