User Tag List

Trading Score
    134 (100%)

Hi Fellow Sc'er,
    I am spending three nights in Halifax in Augus and I was wondering if you could suggest any good local restaurants. Thanks...

Also if you could suggest anything to see and do there that would be great as well...

Thanks, Barginshopper
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

We just visited a restaurant on Friday for the first time - Boneheads! If you like smokey BBQ food, go here. Not real cheap though, for two of us to eat (and only pop to drink) it was about $50. Not a high-end style restaurant, you go and order, then go sit and they call your name to pick up your food. No plates, food is laid out on paper on your tray, with plastic cutlery.

http://www.lickthebone.com/

DH had the ribs (his fave) while I had a BBQ shredded chicken plate. I thought the ribs were a bit salty for me, but DH loved them. My chicken was delicious, smokey and juicy and a VERY big portion, came with two sides, I was stuffed. Next time I think I would get the sandwich and a side. The sweet potato chips (yes, actually chips) were good, but I suspect the regular fries were better (at least they looked better!).

For seafood, higher end, try McKelvies or the Five Fishermen.

Go here to see some other restaurant reviews in the Coast newspaper for Hali:

http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/food-...ion?oid=957796

A cheap eats place I've gone to a few times is Burrito Jax, just off Barrington. A good-sized burrito for about $5 and change.

Place to go - if you want to see a bit of nature, Point Pleasant Park is a HUGE wooded park in the south end. There's tours to Peggy's Cove too, for some beautiful scenery outside the city. Skip the Harbour Hopper IMO (an amphibious vehicle tour that travels on land and into the harbour). While I'm sure the tour is nice and all, our harbour is HORRIBLY polluted, you don't want that sea spray on any part of you. Let's just say that we didn't have a sewage treatment plant for about 250 years, and when we did get one, it broke last year and I don't think it's fixed yet.

Have fun!

Z
    Last edited by Zonny; Sat, Jun 5th, 2010 at 03:19 PM.

Trading Score
    707 (100%)

not sure if you are coming when the buskers are here but that would be something to do.. I'm not sure when they are coming but I think they do come in Aug..

Trading Score
    134 (100%)

Thanks Zonny!!!!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barginshopper View Post
    Hi Fellow Sc'er,
    I am spending three nights in Halifax in Augus and I was wondering if you could suggest any good local restaurants. Thanks...

Also if you could suggest anything to see and do there that would be great as well...

Thanks, Barginshopper
    When are you coming?
    For my referral to Swagbucks, click this link.

http://www.swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=1265083

Trading Score
    134 (100%)

I am coming August 18-21 2010.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Check TheCoast's food guide for Halifax.
    www.thecoast.ca

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Skip the Harbour Hopper IMO (an amphibious vehicle tour that travels on land and into the harbour). While I'm sure the tour is nice and all, our harbour is HORRIBLY polluted, you don't want that sea spray on any part of you. Let's just say that we didn't have a sewage treatment plant for about 250 years, and when we did get one, it broke last year and I don't think it's fixed yet.
    Sssh! Don't say things like that! Tow the party line, our ocean is pristine! Canada's Ocean playground, yes? The North Atlantic at it's best. Poop floaters notwithstanding.

But hey, if you're coming to N.S. it actually is quite beautiful, and Cape Breton is one of the best places IMHO. Bee-oootiful! And no Halifax pumping raw sewage into the ocean.

Trading Score
    134 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Sssh! Don't say things like that! Tow the party line, our ocean is pristine! Canada's Ocean playground, yes? The North Atlantic at it's best. Poop floaters notwithstanding.

But hey, if you're coming to N.S. it actually is quite beautiful, and Cape Breton is one of the best places IMHO. Bee-oootiful! And no Halifax pumping raw sewage into the ocean.
    lol...

Thread Information