User Tag List

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Cell phones are great! It's the way some people use them...

I admit, I've never had one and probably never will. I MIGHT be a little biased. Rather than have this discussion be a one sided rant let's try to give examples of BOTH the good and bad (and maybe the ugly).

---------------
    In a life threatening situation, who wouldn't want a cell phone to be handy? I hope I never get in a life threatening situation.

My pharmacy had to put up a large sign saying "Please finish your cell phone conversation before approaching the pharmacy counter." Duh...

Today I saw someone who had removed themselves from the very busy sidewalk and gone to stand, face into a corner, out of the way to have discrete chat on their cell phone.

A couple of years ago I was crossing in a crosswalk, with the light, when a driver on a cell phone decides that the very moment I'm walking in front of his car was the time to step on the gas! I wasn't hurt but he had no idea I was there until I slammed my hands repeatedly on the hood!

What could be handier when the wife has sent you to get pickles and you're staring at 47 kinds and you can't remember the exact type you were supposed to get?

My impression of a good friend was irrevocably altered as I watched her take a cell phone call while standing in line to receive her Canadian citizenship, I kid you not.

Instant communication is a boon for business! More business, more taxes paid, better life in Canada! A bit of a stretch but you know what I mean.

I never had a chance to get acquainted with my new neighbour for about six months because I NEVER saw her coming or going without a cellphone glued to her ear! Like... hello! Nice day, isn't it? Yoo hoo...
    ---------------

Okay, anyone got some other examples?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

I am surprised at how busy everyone always seems to be, always texting or chating on their phone, what happened to not needing to connect with someone 24/7?

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I just turn mine off when I need my space.

The world will have to do without me for an hour. Yikes!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cellphone becomes the part of every one's life.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I don't have a cell phone, either. Just don't need one; my son has probably three available I could have if I wanted. Husband has one for work only, and son has another for work.
    We didn't get one for our son til he was over 15 and yes, 'everyone' else had one, but we just didn't see the need. We started him off on a pay-as-you-go, and he was working so was responsible to pay for airtime after that. He uses it mostly for texting, as airtime gets eaten up quickly, so when at home he uses the landline.

Benefits - when he goes shopping, he'll call sometimes if he's unsure of a price, quantity, or variety of something...

Cons - just don't see the point of having to be accessible to everyone all the time. What about down time?
    - very scary to know that people are texting and driving, let alone calling. Our hands-free law came into effect in Jan., so hopefully things will change.
    - I don't want/need to know your business, your latest fight with your significant other, etc. Don't make your conversations public, sheesh!

Most recent encounter - in local branch of public library (not a very quiet place at the best of times, but still....) a woman took a call right beside me in a front open area where I was looking at reference materials, and she was LOUD LOUD LOUD - I got up, touched her lightly on the arm to get her attention and asked her very nicely if she could please take the call in the foyer (like 20 steps away, nice seating there) - she harumphed me, and told the person she was talking to really loudly that there was a rude person here trying to stop her from using the phone.... Sheesh!

Just because you are on a cell phone doesn't mean there is a plastic bubble around you! You aren't at home, or in private!
    Ah, I feel better.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

i have one for dh to take to work it's very difficult to get ahold of him in case of an emergency i also take it when i go to visit my parents in case of an emergency you never know but i do hate it when people are talking on the phone really screaming when i'm at a resyaurant tryin to have a nice meal with my family and seeing people driving while talking on the cell phone i've had too many close calls

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i love my cell but agree that some people take it too far, so many people dont abide by the new hands free law... like they will putit down lower near their laps now so cops wont see the phone but it's going to take that much longer for you to move your head a pay attention... so I really don't think the law is going to stop accidents, although hopefully it is taken more seriously. Another thing is I think their should be some kind of "ediquate" while talking on a cell phone.... just like eating their should be do's and dont's and people should have morals, values, decency and respect while using them.

Another example is they should not have to put no cell phone signs in offices.... its an office, you should be there for something more important than talking to a friend.

But I am guilty of texting walking down the street etc, but mostly because I am bored or going to meet a friend and its an easy way of communnication

Thread Information