User Tag List

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Greetings all!

We bought one of these birds at Atlantic Superstore a couple of weeks ago on sale for $1.39 a pound on a three day sale. Then there was a $3 coupon in the flyer on them, so it was a fairly good deal. Our 6 kg turkey ended up costing about $12.

I generally don't buy Butterballs, almost entirely because they're expensive, generally more than the other frozen turkeys,. I don't think I've ever cooked one actually, certainly not a prestuffed one. But the price was right and worth a try!

I went into Superstore around 8 a.m. on the Saturday, this sale started on Friday. I saw none of the sale turkeys, so asked at the meat deparment. They had ONE behind the counter, only because it was buried at the bottom of a bin of different ones when they came in. It was small they warned, but I only wanted a small bird, so I took it. We cooked it today.

You cook it from frozen, so it's convenient that way. But being frozen and stuffed, it will take a long time. We cooked ours for over four hours, and it was under 6 kg, so allow some time.

Flavour- the meat itself, for me, it was juicy and flavourful, but just a bit too salty for me. We don't use a lot of salt in our household, not really for health reasons, but just because we're not keen on it, we're not used to it. For some folks the salt level might be OK, we might be just weird.

Stuffing - in addition to the stuffing in the turkey, we also purchased two boxes of Stovetop turkey stuffing. My DH is BIG on stuffing, so we made extra. Sometimes we make our own from scratch, sometimes we use Stovetop and dress it up. To the Stovetop we added onions, mushrooms, several colours of peppers, mixed nuts and summer savory. Understandably, our stuffing was better than what the turkey came with. The included stuffing really wasn't bad, fairly decent actually, but again, more salty than I would have preferred.

Overall, about a 7 out of 10, but that is for the juicy turkey and the value at the price we paid, the convenience is worth something too. We probably won't buy one again, but mostly because of the salt level, plus we're unlikely to find it for this price again.

Merry Christmas!

Z
    This thread is currently associated with: Real Canadian Superstore RCSS

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I've bought one of these before. As a veggie i don't always want to fuss around a piece of meat and for me this was convenient...loved the cook from frozen part!!
    This year i chose a different bird especially for the lower salt content(we DO have health issues in our family!) but boy i was really wished i'd picked a butterball yesterday morning as i attempted to defrost it in the microwave and despite the fact it had been defrosting in the fridge since early Tuesday morning.
    If the salt content on a Butterball were lower - either with or without stuffing , cos theres not much difference between the two - maybe i will be tempted back.............

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

Thats good to know about the salt content!!! I myself have health issues, and am not supposed to eat alot of salt.... and Im not used to it anymore....

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Butterballs are one of the moistest turkeys you can buy though, we had an unstuffed one this year and it was the best turkey i've had in about 5 years, it came from Hanover Ontario, loved it!

I prefer unstuffed turkeys myself because the stuffed ones do take a lot longer.
    Our Zehrs price matched basics this week and had it for 99 cents a pount

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Butterballs are one of the moistest turkeys you can buy though, we had an unstuffed one this year and it was the best turkey i've had in about 5 years, it came from Hanover Ontario, loved it!

I prefer unstuffed turkeys myself because the stuffed ones do take a lot longer.
    Our Zehrs price matched basics this week and had it for 99 cents a pount
    Wow, 99 cents! I prefer the unstuffed too now, mostly because my own stuffing is MUCH better!

I've often wondered how it is that across the border, you can buy a turkey for say, .69 a pound at Christmas. Here, you're paying about $2 a pound. What the heck, how can theirs be 1/3 of the price that we pay?

The best turkey I ever had was about 15 years ago,. We bought it from a nearby farmer who only raised about a dozen of them, they wandered freely around his yard and were treated very humanely (well, until Thanksgiving anyhow, you get the idea). It cost quite a bit, but wow was it good.

Z

Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I always get the frozen stuffed butterball for Christmas and Thanksgiving. I figure the extra salt won't kill anybody once or twice a year and the reduced stress, due to the simplicity of just taking it out of the freezer and popping it into the oven is a health benefit in itself

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    31 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    The best turkey I ever had was about 15 years ago,. We bought it from a nearby farmer who only raised about a dozen of them, they wandered freely around his yard and were treated very humanely (well, until Thanksgiving anyhow, you get the idea). It cost quite a bit, but wow was it good.

Z
    Yeah, those kinds of animals cost quite a bit, because of how they're raised. You can find factory-farmed hormone-stuffed birds for $1 a pound, because they're crammed together and fattened to 12 pounds within a very short period of time, quite unlike 'normal' birds. The ones from factory farms are genetically nothing like heritage birds.

Sorry, but I just can't see the deal in cheap meat. It may be cheap, but you're paying the price elsewhere, in pollution, serious health conditions, poor worker welfare, not to mention animal cruelty.
    Sign up for Swag Bucks and earn free gift cards. PM me for sign-up codes and tips!

25 Point Bonus on sign-up with superpoints! Click here =)

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have never had one but they sound delicious - maybe next thanksgiving

Thread Information