User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Wiggles

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Okay, so my almost-20-month-old son hasn't been saying much other than mama, dada/daddy, meow, ball, woof, auntie, tickle, uh huh, hi, quack, and bye. I've been a bit concerned by the slow language development.

I bought a copy of The Wiggles "Top of the Tots" at a used children's clothing and toy sale a few weeks ago, and after watching it several times, he's starting to pick up on song lyrics. He spins around, laughing, and says BOW-WOW to the "Give a Dog a Bone" song, and says, "Dig, dig, dig" to another song. He thinks Captain Feathersword in a flower costume is hysterical.

Can a video actually be GOOD for a toddler's learning? I kind of viewed the video as a good way to get a half hour's peace and nothing more. Now I'm wondering if watching a little each day can be good for him?

Has anyone ever seen the videos on sale anywhere? I've only seen them online for $15-$18.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

I think that a video or tv show, when used wisely, can be a great learning tool.

We just bought the wiggles christmas at gt for 5$. The Queen & I had a blast watching it, got me in the Christmas spirit for sure.
    My Queen passed out from pure bliss thanks to her secret Santa. Bless you kind angel

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Oh, I certainly have seen them used. The Wiggles have been around for some time now, so surely to heavens you could scope out your closest second hand store (Goodwill, Value village, Sally ann etc.) and find some for cheap.

As for tv being "good" for a kid? Well, I watched Sesame Street only a daily basis when I was a kid, and I turned out ok. (?) LOL. well, I think anyway.

It all depends on what you watch, how long you watch, and the quality of what you're watching, right? If the LED lights on the tv are burning holes through little Johnny's eye sockets because he's mesmerized by Tinky Winky on Teletubbies for 16 hours a day, well, then you've got a problem.

I'd try a second hand place...or, try going to your local library and seeing what DVD's you could borrow for free!
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Personally, we have Treehouse on in the house mostly all morning for background noise, then after his nap we have music time. We turn on the music on the computer while we play, that way there are no distractions.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blackpup View Post
    I think that a video or tv show, when used wisely, can be a great learning tool.

We just bought the wiggles christmas at gt for 5$. The Queen & I had a blast watching it, got me in the Christmas spirit for sure.
    Thanks! I stopped to check out GT today, and I found one! I'll have to check another Giant Tiger near me!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

I think some shows can definitely be educational! Again, in moderation, of course! For anyone with toddlers/preschoolers, I highly recommend Sid the Science Kid on PBS. Not only is it fun and has great music, but it teaches fantastic lessons. My three year old DD is now very well versed in elasticity, decay, heat, incline planes, etc.

I feel a strange kinship with the Wiggles (even though we don't get them here) because the original yellow Wiggle (Greg, maybe?) had to quit the band because he developed Orthostatic Intolerance, which I also have.

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

Happy you found one Minou. I find the dvds found at gt are mostly seasonal. I found a bunch of halloween movies last month and they were switched over recently with christmas themed movies. I also had some success finding similar dvd's at the pawn shop.

My queen just loves the wiggles and she's french. We subsribe to babyfirst tv on bellexvu. The channel is available in english, french and spanish. I love this channel! We watch it together and discuss what's happening. Keeps her from tearing down my folded laundry pile.
    My Queen passed out from pure bliss thanks to her secret Santa. Bless you kind angel

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

really awesome work done in this shared thread

Trading Score
    164 (100%)

Boy, this brings back memories! Top of the Tots was my son's first Wiggle video and he was 18 months old at the time and is now 8! We have collected about 30 Wiggles video + misc. paraphenalia over the years and do agree that they are both educational and fun. Jack even pronounced "car" like an Australian I don't see any harm with this at all, but that's just my opinion
    Zia_Stephie likes this.

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by eriluo View Post
    Jack even pronounced "car" like an Australian I don't see any harm with this at all, but that's just my opinion
    My queen is doing the same with the accent, I wil have to look into getting her some similar dvd's in french. She is even saying thank you now instead of the french merci...

I found 2 wiggles episodes in the extras of my Christmas wiggles dvd last night I wonder where I can find more episodes on dvd? I might give the penny pincher a try

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by munazza View Post
    really awesome work done in this shared thread
    welcome to the sc family!

Kings County Coupon Queen sarah_300c's Avatar
    Trading Score
    693 (100%)

My son loves the Wiggles! He is 2 1/2 now and they were the first TV show he smiled at. I think it's hilarious watching grown men sing and dance like that!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I do think that some movies/shows teach kids things, My DS (age 4) loves the little einsteins. He talks about them all the time, He can recognize all sorts of classical music, and hum the tune, he knows all his instruments (more than me !!) We even got him a piano, which he tries to play Mozart on. It's amazing the stuff he has picked up on. That's how he learnt how to play games too, like hide and go seek, and hop scotch. I'm happy he likes this show, as he does learn with it. (He also knows that our one picture in the house is a painting by Van Gogh b/c of Little Einsteins) But it all depends on the show, there are some that i just wont let him watch b/c they don't teach anything, teletubbies is one that i just hate.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I let Luna watch Strawberry Shortcake, she loves her. But since she's only 1 and has a short attention span, she'll only watch for about 15 minutes, lol.
    I usually give her a Mum Mum for a snack and her sippy cup, and she sits in her 'play area' (we have 4 play mats with her toys on them in front of the TV since it's the only place that has nothing for her to open lol).

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

I found ooodles of wiggles at blockbuster! My queen loves the country dvd.

We were lucky enough to be gifted the whole crew of teletubbies a few weeks ago, along with the vhs tapes. Here I thought she was not going to fall into the teletubbie rage since she was too young...thanks to wonderful family...yay But, she does love them.

We finally found a copy of dora with the french tracks, I wish whe would take a liking to dora, it would help with her english a whole lot. I can't deal with dora in english...that darn backpack, but in french, for a reason or another its much more digestable

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information