User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    CaToonie
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

thanks for this thread. You are all sooo smart. Thanks for the great tips!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks for all the great ideas I already do most of these but I have to get better at couponing.
    How do you get free movie tickets???

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by chefatheart View Post
    thanks for all the great ideas I already do most of these but I have to get better at couponing.
    How do you get free movie tickets???
    I didn't pay for a movie for all of 2010 and still have 6 passes remaining for 2011:

2 sets of passes from Stella Artois club with point redemption (husband and I are both members) (you can still join this club to collect points-see the FREEBIES tab for info)
    4 free cineplex MIR with M&M's movie tops (I used these M&M's for xmas cookie sand art I planned to make and buy for anyway). This offer has now expired as of Dec 31, 2010
    3 cereal box free movie passes from last year (new offer on now)
    1 gifted movie pass for 2 (xmas gift)
    1 icoke points redemption movie pass (not sure if icoke game back on again yet but I used FREE spins to collect points)
    2 Mr. Lube Free Movie passes with oil change (1 per oil change). These come out all of the time in the mail.

We used only 8 of these Cineplex passes last year (went about once every 1.5 months), so this is why I already have 6 for this year!

Oh, I see that General Mills now has cereal movie pass April Free passes, so I will be sure to keep my eye out for those and not use one of my other free passes for April.

I should have enough Cineplex Scene points to see another movie or two free (as you can still get scene points with movie passes (not gift cards) as well. Someone else blogged that if you buy each ticket separately if buying 2 you earn more points, so I have had my husband and I redeem our passes separately and that works.

Hope that helps!!

Cjunk

freebie shopoholic
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

use a tv antenna and cut off cable bills!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't think this thread is necessary because we smart canucks are as frugal as they come! I'm planning on moving out soon as I will be graduating soon so these tips will come in handy.

My stepmom makes the best homade pizzas I have ever had. She uses pita bread as the crust and it comes out a crunchy thin pizza. I can't stand frozen pizzas with the thick doughy crust that won't cook until long after the toppings scorch. lol.

The clothesrack is a great idea and money saver. But to go even further you could fill up the tub with some water, pour some liquid detergent in and rub the fabric together. Just make sure to rince well. Kind of time consuming, but the next tip won't be!

Ok so I am 24 with a thick (and unruly) head of hair but I wear half-wigs now (the ones that only go on further back from the hairline and have combs in them to keep them in place) People never guess that I am wearing artificial hair! Halfwigs are more secure and natural looking if you blend it right with your real hair or wear a headband. The deal breaker? The fact that I am no longer spending $ on styling, dye jobs ect and it takes me less than 5 minutes daily for my hair For synthetic they usually go for $30-40 but I have recently seen a store selling them for 2 for 30$! If they are properly cared for they can save a lot of money in the long run. Hey thats like one trip to the salon! :o And hair grows out.:icon_scratch

If you are going to eat out on lunchbreak/dinner at least compare the options and health choices. Some restaurants release coupons (McDonalds, Subway, A&W, burgerking ect) Keep them in your bag! Some offer a deal at the back of the receipt if you call and take a survey (Burgerking has been doing this since as long as I can remember) Instead of purchasing overinflated drinks I would carry my own or buy one at the dollar store.

If you have an unpleasant experience with your order you can always call the restaurant and make a complaint so that they are extra vigilant next time. They will usually offer to send you out a reimbursment of some sort.

Always carry reusable bags- sometimes your out there and last minute you want to buy something.

The ultrathin pads at the dollarstore are pretty good and cheap

Always write lists, but thats only half the battle- remember to take them!

Plan a budget when you shop.

Don't spend what you don't have. Sorry fellow credit card holders..

Always keep your eyes glued to the cashier screen to make sure the items ring in accordingly. If not don't be afraid to use the price accuracy policy to your disposal and in most cases get the item free or 10$ off.

In stores where there are scanners at the customer's disposal (such as zellers, shoppers) double check the prices first so that you know what everything will ring in at. And if something does not reflect the sales price you will be aware before the cashier scans it so you can be ready.

Anti-Hoarding tip: (esp if you have a lot of clothes): When you buy one item try to get rid of one item from your house. Believe it or not all your stuff costs money to sit there. It would cost money to put it in storage or to rent an extra room.

Got a gift that you don't know what to do with? Not your style? Re-gift it! (Just not to the same person please).

Read weekly/university papers. Most of them have contests or postings for paid survey studies. I have won so many movie passes.

Always use reward programs

When thrift shopping always examine the clothes very carefully. The lighting is often very poor and you wouldn't believe some of the things they try to sell. I often see clothes with holes, and a top I bought recently had a grease stain that I couldn't get out. I'm not even talking about the salvation army where their profits go toward charity, but the one I saw these unfit clothes is one set up by the gov't and the profit goes toward paying the employees.

Buy no name brand.

Try to implement exercise into your scedules without breaking the bank with the ungodly gym membership fees. Walk more or invest in workout dvds. One time purchase- unlimited hours of use.

Dumpster diving.

Have an unwanted anylonger cds/dvds/gaming/phones? Sell them at a pawn shop. They won't give much but at least its more than what the trash can will pay!

A lot of the tips are also good for the environment

Well that concludes my wacky tips.
    Last edited by freebiescout; Sat, Jan 8th, 2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: info

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lisalovlee33 View Post
    use a tv antenna and cut off cable bills!
    We also download much of our television/movies so no cable or sattellite bills to pay.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Thanks for all the great ideas. Learned a few more.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You can save a bit more on your laundry bill by shaking your clothes out before putting them into the dryer.

It takes longer to dry a twisted mass of clothing, so doing this cuts a bit of time off the drying cycle.
    Ipsy Monthly Glam Bag: https://www.ipsy.com/r/tshv6

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by freebiescout View Post
    I don't think this thread is necessary because we smart canucks are as frugal as they come! I'm planning on moving out soon as I will be graduating soon so these tips will come in handy.

My stepmom makes the best homade pizzas I have ever had. She uses pita bread as the crust and it comes out a crunchy thin pizza. I can't stand frozen pizzas with the thick doughy crust that won't cook until long after the toppings scorch. lol.

The clothesrack is a great idea and money saver. But to go even further you could fill up the tub with some water, pour some liquid detergent in and rub the fabric together. Just make sure to rince well. Kind of time consuming, but the next tip won't be!

Ok so I am 24 with a thick (and unruly) head of hair but I wear half-wigs now (the ones that only go on further back from the hairline and have combs in them to keep them in place) People never guess that I am wearing artificial hair! Halfwigs are more secure and natural looking if you blend it right with your real hair or wear a headband. The deal breaker? The fact that I am no longer spending $ on styling, dye jobs ect and it takes me less than 5 minutes daily for my hair For synthetic they usually go for $30-40 but I have recently seen a store selling them for 2 for 30$! If they are properly cared for they can save a lot of money in the long run. Hey thats like one trip to the salon! :o And hair grows out.:icon_scratch

If you are going to eat out on lunchbreak/dinner at least compare the options and health choices. Some restaurants release coupons (McDonalds, Subway, A&W, burgerking ect) Keep them in your bag! Some offer a deal at the back of the receipt if you call and take a survey (Burgerking has been doing this since as long as I can remember) Instead of purchasing overinflated drinks I would carry my own or buy one at the dollar store.

If you have an unpleasant experience with your order you can always call the restaurant and make a complaint so that they are extra vigilant next time. They will usually offer to send you out a reimbursment of some sort.

Always carry reusable bags- sometimes your out there and last minute you want to buy something.

The ultrathin pads at the dollarstore are pretty good and cheap

Always write lists, but thats only half the battle- remember to take them!

Plan a budget when you shop.

Don't spend what you don't have. Sorry fellow credit card holders..

Always keep your eyes glued to the cashier screen to make sure the items ring in accordingly. If not don't be afraid to use the price accuracy policy to your disposal and in most cases get the item free or 10$ off.

In stores where there are scanners at the customer's disposal (such as zellers, shoppers) double check the prices first so that you know what everything will ring in at. And if something does not reflect the sales price you will be aware before the cashier scans it so you can be ready.

Anti-Hoarding tip: (esp if you have a lot of clothes): When you buy one item try to get rid of one item from your house. Believe it or not all your stuff costs money to sit there. It would cost money to put it in storage or to rent an extra room.

Got a gift that you don't know what to do with? Not your style? Re-gift it! (Just not to the same person please).

Read weekly/university papers. Most of them have contests or postings for paid survey studies. I have won so many movie passes.

Always use reward programs

When thrift shopping always examine the clothes very carefully. The lighting is often very poor and you wouldn't believe some of the things they try to sell. I often see clothes with holes, and a top I bought recently had a grease stain that I couldn't get out. I'm not even talking about the salvation army where their profits go toward charity, but the one I saw these unfit clothes is one set up by the gov't and the profit goes toward paying the employees.

Buy no name brand.

Try to implement exercise into your scedules without breaking the bank with the ungodly gym membership fees. Walk more or invest in workout dvds. One time purchase- unlimited hours of use.

Dumpster diving.

Have an unwanted anylonger cds/dvds/gaming/phones? Sell them at a pawn shop. They won't give much but at least its more than what the trash can will pay!

A lot of the tips are also good for the environment

Well that concludes my wacky tips.
    Just a quick note about the top of your post...
    I was thinking more of newbies (like me) than of the frugalista's who have been saving for years...
    Great post! So many great idea's! WTG!
    In 2010/11 I used over $7700 in coupons!
    My 2012 goal is $6000 in coupons!

:::Alee142010:::

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread Information